Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:
flags set into the gravel gets my vote.

I ride over 100 yards of limestone chippings every time I take the bike out including a sharp 90deg turn out of my gate onto them and an S wiggle backwards off paving over the limestone chippings to get through my gate and onto my paved area.

You get used to it, no sudden movements and it's fine, if the gravel really is that deep though, either rake it (easier than shovel) to drop some paving flags in and re-cover with a thin layer of gravel or in as a path you can see the top of with the gravel around it like the BALLAST on a railway line around the sleepers.

IFTFY.

Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

I know that, but many people don't.

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:36 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so current plan is this - pick up some freebie garden slabs and some pavers.

Dig down partway through the gravel and cover with sand/ballast and compact. Put down slabs bedded in with sand/cement and outline with the pavers.

Anyone see any problems with this? would it be better to take all the gravel up on the area and build up with compacted sand?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
Dig down partway through the gravel and cover with sand/ballast and compact. Put down slabs bedded in with sand/cement and outline with the pavers

From my experience, I really wouldn't bother with sand or cement for bedding the pavers, providing you've got an existing layer of gravel below them. I've got some slabs here I just dropped them on gravel 15 years ago (albeit only for foot traffic rather than bike) and they are rock solid.

oouche
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry to state the obvious just fill the gaps in the gravel with sand where you want to ride .it will be almost invisible and much nicer to walk on as well EDIT just pour on the top it will work in on it's own just keep adding until firm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
ok, so current plan is this - pick up some freebie garden slabs and some pavers.

Dig down partway through the gravel and cover with sand/ballast and compact. Put down slabs bedded in with sand/cement and outline with the pavers.

Anyone see any problems with this? would it be better to take all the gravel up on the area and build up with compacted sand?

I don't think the landlord will be too happy if you were to do that.

Don't bother with sand / ballast and compacting it. Also don't bother bedding the slabs in with sand/cement. All you need to do is put the paving slabs in / on the gravel.

If you start ruining the gravel driveway with concrete / sand / ballast then the landlord will be pissed off at you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2