Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XJ600N Oil in Air box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: XJ600N Oil in Air box Reply with quote

Picked up an XJ600 97' as a project to mess with for a couple of months and the first thing ive noticed i that the airbox has a fairly large amount of oil in it. Enough to soak the foam on the bottom of the air filter.

Checked compression and got 120-140 PSI on different cylinders.
The oil itself looks almost new whereas the oil in the bike is fairly dark(will be replaced asap).

Could the previous owner have put oil on the filter for some reason? I did read that it could be caused by revving the bike when its cold which, to be honest i have done quite a few times?

Had a quick check on the net and most sites say blow by/compression loss from the crankcase breather which is the source of the oil as it looks.

Is there any other cause than blow-by / Compression loss which doesn't require stripping the engine down completely?

Thanks very much for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a breather pipe is directed into the airbox, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was oily but wouldn't expect a significant amount.
Foam filters are often oiled lighty and they might have just used too much
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:50 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the oil is overfilled, it will end up going up the breather, which invariably goes into the airbox.

Bear in mind that the air inside the engine will expand as it warms up whilst the engine is running, and will drag oil up with it.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:35 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do that, but it should not be enough to be soaking the bottom of the air filter. Check that the drain tube from the airbox is clear, should be able to blow through it cleanly. Im guessing a bunch of scuzz will come out of it and its just been backing up from there.

Would just clean the drain pipe, clean out the airbox. keep a eye if its constantly doing with when filled with correct oil level. Could be a previous owner mess up if like you said its a huge amount.

Also is it a K&N filter that someone has just drenched in oil?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excess crank case pressure may blow oil into the airbox if it vents there.

I kersploded an engine and half a litre of oil ended up in the airbox.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1