Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

4 times failed Mod 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DickRichardso...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:56 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: 4 times failed Mod 2 Reply with quote

Embarassed heartbroken. Ive failed my Mod 2 four times. different mistakes. Each time is one major, and two or three minors. I acknowledge thats theyre all mistakes, and the examiner was right to pull them up. I’ve had a lot going on in my life, and its put my under pressure. And i have trouble with exam nerves.
I did a DAS in january, and my first test was delayed due to snow. Then they got me in short notice and I was really stressed because my daughter had been hospitalised. I wasnt in the right frame of mind and rolled past a temporary stop sign for the temporary lights that were further on, past a left turn. No excuses.
The second and third time my tests had stressful contexts - once because the training school was robbed and i had to ride a new bike, another time because the training bike brake light failed in the pre-test training. Niether are excuses, but they didnt help my nerves.
Both times i left my signal on and the examiner picked me up on it during the ride.
I left it for a few months for my life to settle down, then had another try. This week I was on a different bike than im used to - provided the trainer - another long story. i stalled at the lights, but over the stop line. I recovered properly, but the examiner said it was a major because of where i stalled.
Im not making excuses. My riding is good in the training, but i get exam nerves on the day and make mistakes. But now im starting to feel really disheartened - and of course each exam means more days off work, more cost, and its gets more stressful.
Ive tried all the recommended remedies for stress, prep, mediation chocolate, bananas, you name it. Ive passed lots of more complex exams and interviews in my life - why cant i get this one! Grrrr.
I dont know what to do. Should i buy a 125 and get more riding time or try a different test centre. The trainer is saying its all in my head, and i juts need to keep doing the training and try again...

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going straight from CBT to full licence?

If it were me I would give myself some time on a decent second hand 125. Try to ride the 125 smoothly as if you were on the test, every day. Eventually it will become second nature and when you come back to the MOD2 you'll breeze through it.

Don't give up. I've often found that failing something once makes it more difficult the second time. Take time doing something that will prepare you for your next attempt. Enjoy a 125 for a while.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:21 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin up. A stall, easy mistake for a noob, and even experienced riders leave their indicators flashing from time to time - they're just not on test at the time. Rolling past a stop sign a bit ditsy though Laughing

For the indicators, make yourself a habit that whenever you click up from 1-2 or 2-3 gear hit the indicator cancel switch at the same time. It'll help your memory if you're just doing it instinctively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prevent any of this shit I got a 125 and road the crap out of it for a few months.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DickRichardso...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes i did the CBT as part of the DAS. I’ve been driving cars for 30+ years. I always wanted to do my bike test, but family work etc. I guess it’s a midlife thing. Instructor thinks that I’m putting too much pressure on myself because this is ‘for me’ and I’m making it too important...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sounds simple, but you just need to not treat the test as a test, just treat it as any other DAS instructed ride, though by the sounds of it, you possibly haven't had much in the way of training recently if you did your DAS back in January

Maybe you need some additional lessons, and a mock test or 2 to loosen those nerves

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: 4 times failed Mod 2 Reply with quote

DickRichardson wrote:
Should i buy a 125 and get more riding time or try a different test centre.

Is there anything against having a 125 for a while? It'll get you around for a while, and get the pressure off, let you relax a bit...

The second thing might be worth a go. Different test centre, different examiner, different route, change of thinking in your mind.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:34 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a secondhand 125 for while. Relax again, get on the road and enjoy yourself. Buy the right bike and you'll get most, if not all of your money back at sale time. You still have all the training you've done which you can use every time you ride. Take the pressure of yourself and enjoy some time on two wheels Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: 4 times failed Mod 2 Reply with quote

DickRichardson wrote:
Embarassed heartbroken. Ive failed my Mod 2 four times. different mistakes. Each time is one major, and two or three minors. I acknowledge thats theyre all mistakes, and the examiner was right to pull them up. I’ve had a lot going on in my life, and its put my under pressure. And i have trouble with exam nerves.
I did a DAS in january, and my first test was delayed due to snow. Then they got me in short notice and I was really stressed because my daughter had been hospitalised. I wasnt in the right frame of mind and rolled past a temporary stop sign for the temporary lights that were further on, past a left turn. No excuses.
The second and third time my tests had stressful contexts - once because the training school was robbed and i had to ride a new bike, another time because the training bike brake light failed in the pre-test training. Niether are excuses, but they didnt help my nerves.
Both times i left my signal on and the examiner picked me up on it during the ride.
I left it for a few months for my life to settle down, then had another try. This week I was on a different bike than im used to - provided the trainer - another long story. i stalled at the lights, but over the stop line. I recovered properly, but the examiner said it was a major because of where i stalled.
Im not making excuses. My riding is good in the training, but i get exam nerves on the day and make mistakes. But now im starting to feel really disheartened - and of course each exam means more days off work, more cost, and its gets more stressful.
Ive tried all the recommended remedies for stress, prep, mediation chocolate, bananas, you name it. Ive passed lots of more complex exams and interviews in my life - why cant i get this one! Grrrr.
I dont know what to do. Should i buy a 125 and get more riding time or try a different test centre. The trainer is saying its all in my head, and i juts need to keep doing the training and try again...

Ok be prepared for some harsh words.
Firstly there are a lot of excuses for why you have not yet passed, stop making excuses and blaming others/circumstances for you not passing your tests.
You say you are a good rider? Clearly not good enough or an examiner would give you a pass certificate.
If you are a good rider, prove it.
You need to remember that it’s their test and they are in charge, they decide the result of the test.
You need to jump through their hoops and even if you think you know better, you still have to jump through their hoops if you want that elusive pass certificate.
We all feel nerves when it comes to a test, that’s normal.

As for getting a 125 for a while, I’d “say go for it”.
Some experience before you go for another test can’t be a bad thing .

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DickRichardson wrote:
Hi, yes i did the CBT as part of the DAS. I’ve been driving cars for 30+ years. I always wanted to do my bike test, but family work etc. I guess it’s a midlife thing. Instructor thinks that I’m putting too much pressure on myself because this is ‘for me’ and I’m making it too important...

I had the same amount of driving experience and pretty much the same thought process tbh.
I rode my 125 for about 8 months before doing a DAS, one of the best summer's I ever had, I rather doubt I could have passed the big bike tests without that experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:54 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me passing the bike test (albeit Mod 1 was my crutch) was much harder than anything i had imagined or prepared for. Not just the ability but the concentration and lack of forgiveness required to pass it.

If you are competent you'll get there eventually, and it will feel all the more great that you persevered. I know when I came out of my Mod 1 with a pass, it felt almost as good as losing my virginity...

Bo Ninety
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:17 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said. Get a 125 as a daily ride to enjoy then that will crack the nerves problem. Keep at it.

DickRichardso...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:02 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who’s given advice. It’s much appreciated. Of course there’s always those who step in with their harsh words and tough advice. Yeah, thanks for that too. It’s the kind of tough love that used to given when I was a kid, and f**ked me and loads of others up along the way.. I’ve got no criticism of the exam or examiners. They’ve been great. I’ve had the same examiner each time, and he’s been very supportive - and also saying it’s clearly a case of nerves. It’s my instructor(s) who’ve said I’m ‘good enough’ to pass the test, but I haven’t been able to on the day multiple times. Yeah, there have been some circumstances, which I put as ‘context’ for my frame of mind - not as a blame - what im saying is that they’ve contributed to my unease - which is not an excuse, I fully acknowledge that it’s up to me on the day - and me alone.. What I’m asking for is advice from experienced riders or those that have had similar experiences on how to change my mindset to something more positive and relaxed. the advice and positive support here has helped me in that despondent period - and helped me to refocus. So thanks again.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any vehicle test should be a by product of you learning to ride not the goal. The test should be you doing what you normally do while riding.
Not passing , hate the word fail, is all part of learning even if that learning is just you learning to deal with nerves.

Next test to out to enjoy your ride, relish the time on two wheels.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, you shouldn't bleat on about 'harsh' words, harsh constructive words/criticism is good, and quite often, what's needed ! OK, your instructors, even the test examiner give you lovely warm words of comfort, hasn't got you any further, and technically, you may well have acquired the skillset to pass. What you haven't gained is the confidence in that skillset for it to have become 2nd nature. Stick on your CBT, get a 125, and do some real world riding, even commuting. Ensure you don't teach yourself, or pick up bad habits, and finally, when you have the confidence in your riding ability, then try the mod2 once again, but not before..

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was driving instructor many years ago in that London
I had one pupil who got really bad exam nerves.
When she eventually passed she admitted to me after she'd had a couple of valium and wee swig of vodka&orange to settle herself

There, y'see? booze and drugs, is there anything it cant fix?

I had a cousin who did the DAS in middle life
New provisional license Monday, full license and shiny sports bike Friday.
a few weeks later he fell orf and swore off bikes saying
"Thems dangerous things"

My point?
Confidence and skill comes from experience and you cant buy skill and experience, you have to practise it.

Rag a 125 about for bit

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
To prevent any of this shit I got a 125 and road the crap out of it for a few months.

Agree.

Was sick with nerves for Mod2. Paralysed with fear. But thousands of miles on 125 paid off as automatic pilot kicked in. Body flooded with adrenaline, brain wasn't thinking at all. But mostly did the right things at the right time because of previous repetition.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack one off in the waiting room bogs beforehand.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DickRichardson wrote:
Of course there’s always those who step in with their harsh words and tough advice. Yeah I fully acknowledge that it’s up to me on the day - and me alone.. What I’m asking for is advice from experienced riders or those that have had similar experiences .

I failed my car test the first time and like you I was absolutely gutted.
What I did was resolve to keep plugging away and make every effort to give the examiners EXACTLY what they wanted on the day.

You will learn to be a rider after you pass you test, becoming a rider takes time.
All the examiner wants to know is that you are in control of your machine and not a danger to others while you are on the bike.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Any vehicle test should be a by product of you learning to ride not the goal. The test should be you doing what you normally do while riding.

I agree with the rest of your post but not this bit - i'd say just ride like a geek on your test, then you can be a b-road hero at the weekend.

Similar to car tests, absolutely no-one drives with their hands at 10 and 2 >.<

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Crack one off in the waiting room bogs beforehand.

And if you're struggling ask the examiner if they'll lend a hand. He might reward you with a pass.. NO!! Just Don't!!

I passed before all of these power limit bollox things but here's what I did; I bought a bigger bike, a YB100, and did as much research on the test as possible. I also did what was then called a Star Rider course which was basically training on the bike on a school yard and on the roads. The training dude gave us a heap of hints on how to ride better.
I then set myself to work. I chose some quiet ground off the roads and practiced like mad for slower speed riding. I made sure to ride on the public roads exactly how the test required it - and definitely not how the majority of motorists were behaving. Practice and more practice saw me pass.
So for me stepping up to a larger but still learner bike allowed me to gain the skills better for the test. Once passed, the bike was traded in for a bigger/better machine (though that YB100 was bloody good).

I managed to pass my heavy goods test during the same week I took my ex-wife to court for custody. The pressure really was on that week - I got both.

It can be done. Don't necessarily waste time on thinking about herbs and remedies to pass. In a way you're hoping they'll help you pass when in reality the pass is in you anyway. Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that you don't have a cruiser.

But just remember that you will get there in the end and really try not to stress. Personally I would keep on doing your test and not bother with buying, insuring, taxing, fixing a 125. There's a bike shop in Edinburgh that hires out 125's for £70 a day for example, maybe one near you that you could try.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
[ brain wasn't thinking at all.

What's new sweetie x.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to yourself, nobody is going to hear you. Point out all of the signs you see, tell yourself about road positioning, remind yourself about indicators. Don’t chat non-stop but pick out the important stuff that you have failed on before.

I was incredibly nervous before my tests and failed the first time due to stupid mistakes I had never made before. I took some rescue remedy and the placebo effect of ‘this thing will make me more confident’ really helped.

You’ll get it eventually. Just don’t quit as you have done most of the hard work already.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:36 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Same and ride like you are on test (most of the time).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2