Quiet lids

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Quiet lids Reply with quote

Thinking about changing lids shortly.

I've currently got an AGV skyline and it's so loud it's ridiculous. I used to think my previous caberg was loud til I switched to this one.

What good value lids (not twelvety billion pounds to buy) would you say are renowned for being quiet on the move? (I know it's also down to fit and head shape etc but in general ones that work for lots of people)

Cheers

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say it's a very personal thing and what works fo one can be terrible for another. I find my Nolan N87 (£140) is acceptable and a big improvement over the Shark I had before. I've not tried anything else to compare though.

One thing that I've noticed seems to make a big difference is a good chin curtain - seems to stop a lot of the turbulence around the bottom of the helmet. Holding my hand under the bottom of the shark quietened things significantly.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schubeth S2 Sport is by far the quietest helmet I've ever had. It's getting into the expensive range, but I honestly believe that it fits just as good now as when I bought it 3/4 years ago. Also comes with a 5 year warranty I believe, so you'll get some good use out of it.
My cheap AGV however, was super tight when I bought it, but just rolls around my head. Purely kept as an emergency spare.

That being said, I almost always ride with earphones, even if no music is playing.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 08:45 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find a lid that classes as quiet. Either ear plugs or earphones will solve the noise issue, so I just tend to focus on fit and price, tbh.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real way you're going to reduce helmet noise is to use proper earplugs.

Get a helmet that's comfortable and fits you properly, then get custom moulded earplugs. They're really comfortable and I can't ride without them anymore.

Mine cost £50. You can get them from ultimate-ear or mercury hearing. I'm sure there's others that do it too.

They last 5 years before it's recommended you get new ones.

That's £10 a year.

You likely spend more on petrol every week.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Noise. Reply with quote

It's a good point about how helmet fit can vary massively between us all. Also, the bike you ride and how the wind moves over it can add to the variations. Arai's quantum st pro, with the little sunshield up whilst riding an unfaired bike was for me, quieter than riding a bike with a screen. Having an adjustable screen was a bonus, and now I don't notice the noise.

Quietest helmet I have owned and still use is the shoei xspirit 2 with my in-ear headphones (linked to phone for nav and a bit of background music).

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Quiet lids Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

What good value lids (not twelvety billion pounds to buy) would you say are renowned for being quiet on the move? (I know it's also down to fit and head shape etc but in general ones that work for lots of people)

Cheers

You are missing a very important part of the cause of noise...

Airflow, and the bike you ride/your size can have a massive effect on this.
Fairing & screens can cause a lot of noise issues, by the way they deflect the air...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Quiet lids Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
Thinking about changing lids shortly.

I've currently got an AGV skyline and it's so loud it's ridiculous. I used to think my previous caberg was loud til I switched to this one.

Cheers

1st things first. Earplugs. Either single use foam or more classy silicone moulded. Or really stylish medical grade filtered.. 😎

You'll go deaf if you don't use earplugs No matter what hat you wear.
Schubert C3 was measured as the quietest helmet on the market. I have one and I don't think it is any better than my shoei.
I think the most important area to concern me is how easy it is to get in and out of and wear. And it should be wind and waterproof not direct an icy-blast at one's face even with chin vent closed. Shocked

Shuberth cannot do the above.
It has intercom in the neck which is great. Apart from that.... Nil points.
My next hat will be a Shoei.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Quiet lids Reply with quote

i had one of these once, very quiet. Laughing

https://silodrome.com/draxtar-helmet/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Quiet lids Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

You are missing a very important part of the cause of noise...

Airflow, and the bike you ride/your size can have a massive effect on this.
Fairing & screens can cause a lot of noise issues, by the way they deflect the air...

Plus the airflow around the helmet itself. I have used different screens on the model of bike I own, and with the lid I favour, it has made no difference. The helmet itself reduces buffeting, making for a quieter experience. I won't say it's the quietest lid in the world, but with a snug fit, it's not bad - HJC RPHA10 (not the touring version).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I have yet to find a lid that classes as quiet. Either ear plugs or earphones will solve the noise issue, so I just tend to focus on fit and price, tbh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HAFX1X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Earphones-black-red/dp/B004S7Q8CA

Try those earphones, I've used these for a few years now.. sorted my
noise problem.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rpha 10 touring version was called rpha st. Different helmet, dìfferent fit. (Mrs has an (a)rpha 10.) St has has a drop down sun visor. Thanks for quoting the post after mine for saying the same thing. Op, give us your budget, and we can give you some ideas.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MCN, got a megabucks Schuberth and to be honest it is a bit quieter than other helmets I've had but not enough to justify the price difference, added to which it is a heavy bast**d.
My expensive Shoei used to fit me but its sloppy as f**k now and I hate it.
My Nexx carbon is super light, great visibility, don't even know you have it on except for the NOISE!
Put some moulded silicone ear plugs in (I get them working in noisy environments) and I would choose the Nexx every time.

OGR.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Earplugs Reply with quote

Whilst I agree with the guys who say about hearing protection, (I live with tinnitus, would give a finger to have 5 minutes without it.) Ear plugs made the bass resonance on a big single an uncomfortable throb in the ear. They also decreased the peripheral sound to the point I missed it. In ear headphones and some music (recommend rammstein) keep rushing wind noise to a minimum without losing the sounds you need to hear (sirens,horns,screaming from pillion(or lack of)).
Flip/system helmets are inherently noisier due to shape.
Throwing money at a schuberth to get a quiet flip is silly. Shoei's neotec 2 is the nuts, it's a quiet flip. But there's quieter normal helmets out there. And for a lot less money.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:06 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to look for if you want to wear earphones etc is a recess by your ear (usually used for intercoms). My current lid doesnt have these and it's impossible for me to wear anything more than silicon earplugs without getting sore ears.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoei X Spirit 3 for me and custom ACS ear plugs.

I tried all the lids in the shop, that was the best fit / lightest .... but i can't stand to ride without ear plugs in now.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:39 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoei are generaly quiet helmets so that's a good place to start. Some decent deals kicking about on some of the older models like the Qwest which is widely available at £200 (or less).

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Shoei are generaly quiet helmets so that's a good place to start. Some decent deals kicking about on some of the older models like the Qwest which is widely available at £200 (or less).

Agreed, Shoei are very quiet helmets.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Caberg the Schuberth R1 felt very quiet, now on a S?? Oh forgot the model...anyway it's also very quiet...until you get to motorway speeds then it's almost as noisy as other helmets I've owned.
I still wear earplugs if doing long hauls on fast roads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Earplugs Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Whilst I agree with the guys who say about hearing protection, (I live with tinnitus, would give a finger to have 5 minutes without it.) Ear plugs made the bass resonance on a big single an uncomfortable throb in the ear. They also decreased the peripheral sound to the point I missed it. In ear headphones and some music (recommend rammstein) keep rushing wind noise to a minimum without losing the sounds you need to hear (sirens,horns,screaming from pillion(or lack of)).
Flip/system helmets are inherently noisier due to shape.
Throwing money at a schuberth to get a quiet flip is silly. Shoei's neotec 2 is the nuts, it's a quiet flip. But there's quieter normal helmets out there. And for a lot less money.

The issue with Less Money Lids is they are usually Less Money cause they are Less Kwolitee Materials. Sad

I do not buy HJC now as my 1st one was cheep as phuque but disintegrated over about 6 months. Arai, Shoei, Schoobert have all stood the test of time.

I had an Nolan helmet too, Cheep and disintegrated like the HJC.

Just a think that I have experience of.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shark Speed-R was very quiet compared to a HJC IS-16, and FG-15, AGV-k3 is a bit loud and leaky but has good vents, fragile though. Skwal was quiet for the first few months then the visor became a loose rattling joke that eventually flew open at speed the day I picked it up after the distributor allegedly fixed it.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet alone won’t resolve the noise problem if you do a lot of motorways. Earplugs don’t resolve problems either, even if custom made for you - you still can get them wrong. However, virtually any helmet plus noise cancelling earphones will most likely be the quietest solution. Add Givi Airflow windscreen if you want, it probably will help too
I chose Schumberth C3 Basic plus Bose QuietControl 30 - you can open your face when in shops and then cancel noise cancellation from your phone to hear properly. It works really well. However, check if the earphones fit well under your helmet - some don’t. Also, if you want To check out Bose, you can do in Apple store (even try) and then buy from Large River or Evil Bay

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
Helmet alone won’t resolve the noise problem if you do a lot of motorways. Earplugs don’t resolve problems either, even if custom made for you - you still can get them wrong. However, virtually any helmet plus noise cancelling earphones will most likely be the quietest solution. Add Givi Airflow windscreen if you want, it probably will help too
I chose Schumberth C3 Basic plus Bose QuietControl 30 - you can open your face when in shops and then cancel noise cancellation from your phone to hear properly. It works really well. However, check if the earphones fit well under your helmet - some don’t. Also, if you want To check out Bose, you can do in Apple store (even try) and then buy from Large River or Evil Bay

Are you punting Bose Gear on 'hear'?

Have you had 'custom' earplugs?

The ones that are simply medical silicone injected into your lug hole are better than foam but proper 'Medically' fitted filtered earplugs work perfectly.

And if you are pumping toons into your ear canal from earphones how much damage is that creating? Shocked

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out on a tiger 800 recently, and an xlite(nolan) 551 was quieter than an arai
quantum st and a shoei neotec 2. Normally the peak creates noise, but, after adjusting the screen for minimal noise the 'normal' shape lids, the 551 was the quietest of the 3.

Who'd have thunk it!

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Are you punting Bose Gear on 'hear'?

Have you had 'custom' earplugs?

The ones that are simply medical silicone injected into your lug hole are better than foam but proper 'Medically' fitted filtered earplugs work perfectly.

And if you are pumping toons into your ear canal from earphones how much damage is that creating? Shocked

I tried custom mould ones - it works for others, but not for me
I don’t listen to the music, but usually put online book to listen. If I cancel noise cancellation, the speech of a person I am talking to is louder than the voice of the book reader
I don’t think the sound level is high - I no longer have “ping” noise when cochlea hairs die, I had it with all my other ear plugs.
While the noise if cancelled, I can still hear vehicles passing by and sound signals
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2