Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Trex 850. Reply with quote

Just bought this.

https://i.postimg.cc/XqHcCHDy/20180920_173044.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/PrTMFZk7/20180920_173101.jpg

It looks like a bucket of puss at the moment but I will be restoring it over the coming months. I didn't think it was bad for 200 quid.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:49 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm steal for 200 quid! Looks like a fun project and probably a lot easier to polish up than it looks now. Turns over?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 07:34 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!

My long term project goal is to buy a TRX850 and put a Hot TDM900 engine in it, I have the engine just waiting for space and a bike!

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Mmmmm steal for 200 quid! Looks like a fun project and probably a lot easier to polish up than it looks now. Turns over?

Hi I don't know the previous owner said it runs nicely but the battery on it is dead as it hasn't been used in over a year & a half. It was parked up due to an ignition fault which I'm hoping a new set of coils will cure.
@ Chris-red have you still got your TDM?

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:41 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

Hi I don't know the previous owner said it runs nicely but the battery on it is dead as it hasn't been used in over a year & a half. It was parked up due to an ignition fault which I'm hoping a new set of coils will cure.
@ Chris-red have you still got your TDM?

I've got 2 and 3 engines Laughing

An '02 with 100k on and a '07 with 60k.

I changed the engine in the '02 at 82k for a 900mile one.

My plan is to build the '07 up (as it is ULEZ compliant) as my daily.

Put the old engine back in the 02 and sell then build whatever engine that isn't in the '07 as a hot one. I think 110bhp is possible with oversize pistons/rods and hot cams. Then throw that at a TRX frame, with R1 front and a YZF750 rear.

This is very much a long term, slightly dreamy project. Laughing

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Put the old engine back in the 02 and sell then build whatever engine that isn't in the '07 as a hot one. I think 110bhp is possible with oversize pistons/rods and hot cams. Then throw that at a TRX frame, with R1 front and a YZF750 rear.

That sounds like it's going to be an awesome project hope you share it here. Not going too far with this one just restore it & get it running nicely although I would like to change the front mudguard I don't suppose you'd know if a thunderace mudguard & hugger would fit would you?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
chris-red wrote:

That sounds like it's going to be an awesome project hope you share it here. Not going too far with this one just restore it & get it running nicely although I would like to change the front mudguard I don't suppose you'd know if a thunderace mudguard & hugger would fit would you?

No idea I'm afraid, sorry!

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the strip down started today this is as far as I've got.

https://i.postimg.cc/QN7fDy1F/20180923_163853.jpg

There are a few bodges & the radiator is kaput as you can see from the colour of the coolant on the floor. I would've got more done but the exhaust downpipes defeated me. I've got the fittings out but the collars will not budge. I do have a small blow torch but it's butane not map gas & I'm a bit worried about using a torch near alloy anyway. Open to suggestions?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with the bike. I wish I had the willpower to do up a bike. Would like a cruiser built from scratch.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more stripping today.

https://i.postimg.cc/j5PSWtPq/20181005_151829.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mk42CJyY/20181005_151818.jpg

I've been defeated once again by one bolt which connects the engine to the top frame. It's getting dark now so start again tomorrow.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
chris-red wrote:
...build whatever engine that isn't in the '07 as a hot one. I think 110bhp is possible with oversize pistons/rods and hot cams. Then throw that at a TRX frame, with R1 front and a YZF750 rear.

That sounds like it's going to be an awesome project hope you share it here.

Likewise. I have seen some beautiful TRX projects, a bike really worth doing something with imo. The TDM engine sounds interesting. Have you looked at the ease/difficulty of fitting it in the TRX frame? Engine mounting points are significantly different.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update.
I started stripping the tank only to find someone had filled & painted over carbon fibre tank protectors. Rolling Eyes

https://i.postimg.cc/3xdTcxBb/20181020-101808.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/MpNS2J3Z/20181020-101105.jpg

I don't know what happened but I was going to show a step by step repair on the side panel but almost all the pics I took have mysteriously disappeared. Sad
This is all I have left.

https://i.postimg.cc/7Lzyqtj3/20181024-164256.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/90bhv4Ks/20181024-163243.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zB1YvS19/20181026-120744.jpg

Primed.

https://i.postimg.cc/76XQXzfR/20181031-192136.jpg

I'd like to say that's the bodywork done but alas it's all gone a bit awry! Sad Well pissed off! My own fault I should've taken the side panels to work together instead of one at a time now I've caused myself a lot of work. Thumbs Down

https://i.postimg.cc/bY7Nbb9N/IMG-20181202-085413.jpg

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting.

mrr1
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:54 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice paint job.
i've got a 97 TRX that I got resprayed by a chap in Corby after throwing it down at Rockingham a year or two back. Not overly powerful (72 at the rear wheel dynoed at RP Motorsports in Grantham) but very sweet to hang off the side of.
So long as you always carry some oil around with you it'll be fine. I've had mine for almost seven years and I love it. Sooooo much character. I've just bought a TDM 900 to go alongside the TRX. Again, not overly powerful but the power is very usable and far lighter than you'd ever think.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:15 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about those bikes, I think they’re a fantastic looking machine. Bargain at 200 notes too.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work so far - keep the pics coming.

East Herts eh? Hoddesdon??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Good work so far - keep the pics coming.

East Herts eh? Hoddesdon??

No I'm further up the A10. Thanks for the compliment.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would've got more done but the exhaust downpipes defeated me. I've got the fittings out but the collars will not budge

Had the same on an old FJ1200. The alu collars weld themselves to the steel studs. i drilled into the collars till I touched the threads and heated them, then fed penetrant lubricant into the hole i'd drilled. came off eventually with hammer based persuasion.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more progress OP?

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet I'm afraid although I have dropped the frame & rear shock spring off at the powder coaters. I still have loads of parts to buy plus my little wolf is still playing up so need to sort that out first.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

always wanted a trx but they seem to have shot up in value, seem to be more of them about at bike nights aswell than there used to be
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

mrr1
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to howmanyleft.co.uk there's about 130 or so actually on the UK roads.

I love mine to bit. Took her out a day or two back for about two hours and felt like I'd slept the night at Michael Barrymore's.

Damn my arse hurt..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 02 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrr1 wrote:
nice paint job.
i've got a 97 TRX that I got resprayed by a chap in Corby after throwing it down at Rockingham a year or two back. Not overly powerful (72 at the rear wheel dynoed at RP Motorsports in Grantham) but very sweet to hang off the side of.
So long as you always carry some oil around with you it'll be fine. I've had mine for almost seven years and I love it. Sooooo much character.

Very nice! Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 02 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted one of these and like chris said, drop an overbored 900 engine in one for lulz.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1