Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Outlander phev

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Outlander phev Reply with quote

Been looking at bigger cars, these have caught my eye and I'm probably going to take one out for a test drive.

Just wonder if anyone owned one and if so what there like?
Real world battery range?
Charge time?
Real world MPG?
Known issues, particularly around the electrickery?
Servicing cost?

Last edited by duhawkz on 13:37 - 22 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a GX4 or GX3+ if makes any difference.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a few of the diesels at work. I don't like them. Forever off the road with issues, mainly engine and suspension related. The DPF seems particularly fragile and they all leak fumes into the cabin. Handling is ok but they're pretty boaty whilst still being quite crashy over bumps. Not the most confidence inspiring on back roads. Half decent in the snow but useless off-road. I realise much of that might not apply to the PHEV model but I've been put off them generally. Better cars for the money.

Admittedly the fleet is getting on a bit and they're very abused but other vehicles seem to be fairing better.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:51 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a youtube video about a security consultant who hacked one and was able to unlock the doors and do various things from a smart phone...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth the bother unless its to reduce company car tax.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had one.

Piss poor tank range, pointless electric power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEV sounds like the motoring equivalent of Queef.

Do NOT like.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£36000for a car thats nothing special Shocked , Jesus wept.

I tell you, when my grannymobile C Max dies it's back to bangernomics for me. That's not out of choice! I couldn't afford something new on my pension!!!

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as a company car.
For my commute of 22 miles each way (and I charge at work as well as home) it is perfect. Costs about 90p to charge at home.
4H is the most desired spec. Mine has had no issues in the 18k miles so far.
Range depends on lots of variables but realistically 22 to 25 miles in the real world on battery power.
Petrol tank gets me usually 1000 miles between fill ups as I use mainly battery only on the commute. Full tank is around £48.
Travelling long distance sees a return of 34-36 mpg.
On models registered after April 2017 road tax is no longer free.

In my opinion a great car if you have the same sort of commute as me, if not go for anything diesel.

Andy

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add charge time is around 4 hours on a standard charger.
Forget about charging at supermarkets etc as the cost far outweighs the distance gained.

And £36k is the discounted price with a government grant. Shocked

Andy

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commute is 6 miles each way, most days. I have off street parking and can charge at home.

I also do longer journeys on a weekend (~45 miles each way) I could maybe recharge there as well.

There will also be the occasional longer journeys too.

I need the extra space because of the dogs, the problem with other SUVs is that they are predominately diesel and cost loads to tax.

I did also considered a C4 grand picasso

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be great for you but bear in mind the higher purchase cost over something like a Picasso.
No reports of any battery failures yet that I have seen but they are still fairly new to the market.
Totally different way to drive one of these if you are to get the best out of it using the regen braking etc..
Very comfortable and even makes my range rover feel like shit to drive now! So much so that I am selling it and bought a Shogun to tow with instead.

Andy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good reason that most SUV's are diesel though. The characteristics of a big turbo diesel suit heavy cars and ones that need good low speed tractability off road etc.
I know some people that have bought these 1.2/.14L petrol SUV's either because of the low mileage they do, or the worry of tax and other costs on a Diesel model.

Petrol isn't wrong for short journeys and low annual mileage etc, but none of these people I know have got anywhere near claimed mpg with loaded vehicles and stop start driving.

Whats the tax difference between a PHEV and a Diesel version out of interest?

I think the motor industry also now states that peoples preferred hybrid cars that can run on battery or ICE independently, is the least efficient way to build and run a hybrid vehicle too. Its just want to be green motorists think that being able to drive on EV power alone without range limitations is having the best of both worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
There's a very good reason that most SUV's are diesel though. The characteristics of a big turbo diesel suit heavy cars and ones that need good low speed tractability off road etc.
I know some people that have bought these 1.2/.14L petrol SUV's either because of the low mileage they do, or the worry of tax and other costs on a Diesel model.

Petrol isn't wrong for short journeys and low annual mileage etc, but none of these people I know have got anywhere near claimed mpg with loaded vehicles and stop start driving.

Whats the tax difference between a PHEV and a Diesel version out of interest?

I think the motor industry also now states that peoples preferred hybrid cars that can run on battery or ICE independently, is the least efficient way to build and run a hybrid vehicle too. Its just want to be green motorists think that being able to drive on EV power alone without range limitations is having the best of both worlds.

0 tax on the phev, up to 450 on some of the bigger diesel units

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
big turbo diesel suit heavy cars and ones that need good low speed tractability off road etc.

Also i have no need for low speed tractability for off road, because i have absolutely no want or need to take the thing off road, I wouldn't be spending upwards of 18k on a car to go off roading, I'd buy a knackered landy or something

I have also mentioned that i do lots of short trips, so again modern diesel wouldn't be suitable, fucked dpf much

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/z54jWVE6JSg

Nuf said... Laughing

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:32 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
https://youtu.be/z54jWVE6JSg

Nuf said... Laughing

Much bullshit in that vid.

As I said before, this vehicle only suits a certain persons needs and not everybody.

Saving me around £3k a year on BIK tax for a start! Most first buyers of these are as company cars for the tax savings.

Andy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1