Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time for a change - recommend me a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Time for a change - recommend me a new bike Reply with quote

Recommendations please Smile

Time for the KTM to go bye-bye - I still love it, but I fancy a change. Problem is I don't know what the hell to replace it with.

What I like about it:
Upright and all day comfortable.
Fast within reason.
Handles well.
Great brakes.
Good wind protection.
Naughty engine when you want to be on it.

What I don't like about it:
Bit tall even for me at 6ft.
Aggressive throttle mapping / snatchy fuelling when you want to just get somewhere.
Everything is expensive and it's been a bit of a problem child without actually having anything major go wrong Laughing.
It's the thirstiest bike I've ever had Laughing.

What I want from a new bike:
Decent amount of comfort - no race-bikes; can be a bit leany forwardy but I'd rather more upright.
100+ BHP because reasons.
Good brakes / handling.
Ideally under 200kg.
Something interesting - I'm not going to get excited by a VStrom.
No problem childs.
Under £7k top end of budget.

So far I've been thinking Monster 821 and that's about it.

Any recommendations?

Cheers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no recommendations from me. I'm happy with what I've got :smug:
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the lookout for something upright, interesting and a bit hooligan which seems to mirror a lot of your criteria. With your budget I'd be looking at these, with the ducatis thrown in because you mentioned the 821:

£7k will get you:
~2014/15 speed triple R
~2012/13 V4 R tuono
~2015/16 Z1000. There is a Z1000SX if wind protection is your thing.
~2014 BMW S1000R.
~2012 ducati 1098 streetfighter
~2014 ducati 848 streetfighter

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I've been on the lookout for something upright, interesting and a bit hooligan which seems to mirror a lot of your criteria. With your budget I'd be looking at these, with the ducatis thrown in because you mentioned the 821:

£7k will get you:
~2014/15 speed triple R
~2012/13 V4 R tuono
~2014 BMW S1000R.

That's a nice list. I'd be up for trying the Tuono first. If nothing else, it'd be interesting to work through a series of test rides on them all.
Trouble is, that's a pretty stringent list of criteria Thinking
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I'm going to say. Laughing 7k put a brand new MT09 in my shed. I have to say the very latest ones have many
goodies mine doesn't have including Traction control, LED headlight, quickshifter, improved suspension and a slipper
clutch which I'm sure make it much more civilised than the earlier ones.

190 kg, 1**bhp, upright, sounds insane (as you know) with a nice exhaust. Go try one out if you haven't already.
Fretgrinder has one of the latest ones so he could answer any specific Q's about the newest variant. Perhaps the TRACER
version would suit you better if you need all day riding with wind protection too. Main thing is they all have that engine.

Review of the latest one

Last edited by grr666 on 10:38 - 24 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gsx-s 1000f ?
Does most of what you want. Great bike, I have the naked version

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
You know what I'm going to say. Laughing

People shouldn't be shy about suggesting what they themselves own. After all, they can speak from experience.
I would suggest my own bike, but only really after spending the money to do the mods I have done, and it'll still be too heavy for the OP.
Otoh, it'll still be a good bit cheaper than most things Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right outside the box, what about a Suzuki B King.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX1300-GSX-1300-B-KING-B-KING-2008-ABSOLUTELY-MINT-LOW-MILEAGE/113247942226?hash=item1a5e1a7652:g:5d4AAOSwroFbmohO

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki z900rs? aprilia 900 shiver? i like the 821, itd be on my list for a naked. cb1000r is very good, needs a tiny wind deflecter though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:55 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I want one, but no idea why...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

It doesn't seem to make much sense on paper, but...but... Confused

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Ducati-Hypermotard-1100-S-with-EXTRAS-at-Teasdale-Motorcycles-Yorkshire/263876036584?hash=item3d703cc7e8:g:MG8AAOSwmINbcVFD

I've always fancied one of these, fits the bill aside from wind protection, but a monster doesn;t have that either.

I can't remember the BHP but you can buy a set of cams (from ducati) for £300 that with a remap up the power by like 20bhp.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

It doesn't seem to make much sense on paper, but...but... Confused

How many bikes make sense? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Because it's a bit of a silly idea and so that means it's a good idea? Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

How many bikes make sense? Laughing

Depends on what you want to do with what bike I suppose. But affairs of the heart require no recommendations.

It speaks of brute power, but hanging you out in the full force of it, to cling on for dear life.

Thinking

Can I have mine with a turbocharger please? Twisted Evil Laughing

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/upload/210603/images/P5020279.JPG

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v4 Tuono. Just do it for the noise.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:51 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panigale or mv agusta f4,

because

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere. Mr. Green

Bet it weighs a fucking ton though and Google agrees with me. "Weight‎: ‎518 lb (235 kg) (‎dry‎); 578 lb (262 kg)" Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere. Mr. Green

Bet it weighs a fucking ton though and Google agrees with me. "Weight‎: ‎518 lb (235 kg) (‎dry‎); 578 lb (262 kg)" Shocked

MTFU or STFU Mr. Green

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Time for a change - recommend me a new bike Reply with quote

Tell that to arry. Wink

arry wrote:
Ideally under 200kg.

The B King is only about 25kg heavier than the KTM 990 so it deserves a place on the short list of things to maybe get a test ride on.

It might be a little bit heavy but it more than makes up for that with power and road presence. Thumbs Up

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can spare another five hundred quid you'd be able to get a brand new Kawasaki Z800. It got really good reviews on YouTube although it is quite heavy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Time for a change - recommend me a new bike Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tell that to arry. Wink

arry wrote:
Ideally under 200kg.

The B King is only about 25kg heavier than the KTM 990 so it deserves a place on the short list of things to maybe get a test ride on.

It might be a little bit heavy but it more than makes up for that with power and road presence. Thumbs Up

arry wants his cake and eat it, and then have more, and eat that too, and still have some left for later.

Anyway, never mind arry; I want one! Crying or Very sad Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you staying with twins, or would you like a triple or an IL4 for the next bike. You say upright and around 200kg, but does it need a screen or even a fairing, and do you want to be able to easily carry hard or soft luggage?

Is it a bike to go touring and exploring on, or just a Sunday morning adrenaline rush?

How much handling do you want say compared to the KTM, and do you need bling or tart factor like Ohlins, fancy wheels Radial Brembos etc?

And finally is sound important or not? And will you be running it on a stock or a noisy aftermarket pipe? I ask this as some bikes often certain IL4's sound bloody awful or un-liveable with with a noisy pipe.

I know you've got the Enfield, but do you want some retro style and looks, or something that's got lots of electronics to play with?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Are you staying with twins, or would you like a triple or an IL4 for the next bike. You say upright and around 200kg, but does it need a screen or even a fairing, and do you want to be able to easily carry hard or soft luggage?

Is it a bike to go touring and exploring on, or just a Sunday morning adrenaline rush?

How much handling do you want say compared to the KTM, and do you need bling or tart factor like Ohlins, fancy wheels Radial Brembos etc?

And finally is sound important or not? And will you be running it on a stock or a noisy aftermarket pipe? I ask this as some bikes often certain IL4's sound bloody awful or un-liveable with with a noisy pipe.

I know you've got the Enfield, but do you want some retro style and looks, or something that's got lots of electronics to play with?

Yes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - appreciated Smile

Donny wrote:
£7k will get you:
~2014/15 speed triple R
~2012/13 V4 R tuono
~2014 BMW S1000R.

Good shouts Thumbs Up

The Speed R I fancy trying (I have ridden an old round headlight Speed some years ago and thought it was a hoot) and its only negative for me is that I've had that engine before in the Sprint - that's not necessarily a bad thing, as I did love that lump, but as for something different, it's got familiarity.

Tuono definitely interests me but I've heard some bad reports of reliability and there's not a dealer anywhere near me that would be able to take care of it; I don't fancy swapping something potentially problematic for something potentially problematic - but it's one to try out for sure.

Z - not for me; I just don't fancy that for some reason. Doesn't excite me.

The BMW I hadn't considered and TBH didn't even know existed. That's actually a good shout. It's an ugly bugger to me, but I'm not that taken aback by looks (I'm an ugly fecker myself Laughing ) so I can deal with that. On the list.

The Streetfighters are definitely also on the list. They tick boxes for sure.

grr wrote:
You know what I'm going to say.

Yup and I have to say it's hard to argue with the logic - but I am struggling to find myself excited by it. That'll probably change when I ride one. I shall try to get a test ride.

Landy wrote:
Gsx-s 1000f ?
Does most of what you want. Great bike, I have the naked version

I'm sure it's a great bike, but the prospect isn't making me fizz behind the dick I'm afraid Sad

Polar wrote:
Right outside the box, what about a Suzuki B King.

I do quite like them but they're a land whale and I've got a bit of a gimpy shoulder that makes moving things around at a stand-still a real PITA. Too heavy for me I reckon Sad

Kentol wrote:
Kawasaki z900rs? aprilia 900 shiver? cb1000r is very good

Z900RS does look good - liked it at bike show launch. Not sure they can be had in budget, though? Will look. Shiver, not too keen. Didn't like the 750 particularly. CB could be interesting - will look that one up too.

stevo wrote:

Good questions. Let's break that down.

I've had a single, a parallel twin, a V twin, a triple and an IL4 now - V4 hasn't been had but then I guess there's not many of them. I don't mind which is next, TBH, any flick my switch.

It doesn't really need a screen but a small bit of wind deflection would be welcome. It is a bike to go 'touring' on but I only do UK trips really - I think I could put up with a naked for that. As long as I can get some throwovers or my 60L rolltop bag on it, or my Kreiga on there that'll be fine. It does also need to tick the Sunday morning blast box.

I don't need bling but I do like a well balanced bike with good brakes - it's one of the reasons I don't like excess weight as that kills both of those things for me.

Prefer intake noise to exhaust noise and I'm not the kind to stick a loud can on.

Looks wise I'm pretty open. I don't need retro, I don't need modern. Either or is absolutely fine.

Good suggestions coming out of here - thanks guys, it's given me a lot to go on Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2