Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki SV650s 99-02 lower fairings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Suzuki SV650s 99-02 lower fairings Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I was hoping to get some help with my Suzuki sv650s 2002. I was looking for the lower fairing to go on the sides, in order to complete the full "supersport" look. BUT everyone is selling them for £200+, especially considering they're mostly unpainted and aftermarket ones! No used ones that I could find Sad Now, my question is; could i fit different motorcycle fairings on it such as from the gsxr1000? I feel that i could find fairing from another bike much easier and for cheaper.

ps. yes yes i know! 650s looks better naked and all that Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:40 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki SV650s 99-02 lower fairings Reply with quote

VugarLad wrote:
I feel that i could fit a fairing from another bike much easier
No.

VugarLad wrote:
and for cheaper.
Probably.

You'll need to make brackets. Modify the fairing to clear bits, repaint the fairing when done. Easy? No, not by a long shot. That said, you *MAY* find that the Hyosung GTR650 (GT650R?) wears similar clothes to your SV650. Do your research.

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How should i know which fairings are close or even compatible? Look at all motorcycle models and guess?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VugarLad wrote:
How should i know which fairings are close or even compatible? Look at all motorcycle models and guess?

MarJay wrote:
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.

The only cheap and easy way to have a faired SV650 that doesn't look shit is to use SV650 fairings.

I recall someone fitting GSXR1k plastics to an SV650, but that would require the GSXR headlight, plastics and entirely custom headlight subframe and mounts throughout. Fairings from any bike cost a fortune. So this approach is neither cheap or easy. Ultimately there will be strange gaps all over it, so it will also look shit.

SV650 are a popular minitwins race bike, people have fitted all sorts of race fairings to them but these don't accomodate a headlight and therefore will not be easy, you wont get change from £200 and they will also look shit.

If you are balking at £200 lower fairings then none of the above are for you.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:38 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VugarLad wrote:

I wouldn't think any other bikes fairings will be directly compatible to a sv650, they'll all need some work, new brackets maybe cutting and shutting to make them a little narrower etc. good news is that means you can pick any faing you think suits, it's always going to be work though.

Surely though if you went with the fabrication route you'd need a full fairing, screen, brackets or material to make the brackets you'll need to piant it anyeway because it won't match your bike etc etc. I would think 200 for the lower panels plus paint IS the cheap option.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VugarLad wrote:

You want to fit it, you figure it out. But yeah, pretty much, so deal with it.

There's a reason so few people build "specials" where it involves putting different fairings on stuff.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way, if you buy anything other than the proper fairing lowers when you come to sell it, you won't just not get your money back, it will detract from the bike overall and mean you lose money on that as well.

Get the proper fairing pieces, get it nicely matched and enjoy a decent looking bike. Then when you come to sell it you will have a much better chance of getting a decent price.

Bodged shite looks shite and is shite. Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
VugarLad wrote:

You want to fit it, you figure it out. But yeah, pretty much, so deal with it.

There's a reason so few people build "specials" where it involves putting different fairings on stuff.

As I said in another thread (the twit who wants to put a rear disc on his 125 Super Dream) there's a secret to building custom bikes - you either have the cash to throw at getting someone else to build your vision, or you have the skill to work out shit for yourself.

To bastardise a famous expression, if you have to ask, you don't have the wherewithall to achieve it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bodged shite looks shite and is shite. Thumbs Up

That's when you break out the matt black and say "fuck it". Very Happy

Shaft wrote:
To bastardise a famous expression, if you have to ask, you don't have the wherewithall to achieve it.

I was going to link to the bloke that dressed a ZX, but OP will never bother his arse to put any effort into even narrowing it down, so I'm not putting any effort into giving his a realistic picture of just how much work is going to b needed.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:07 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hand lowers for the sv come up on ebay all the time, just be patient and pickup a used pair from there.

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if OP had asked this 3 days ago he could have had the lowers off a mates now scrapped sv for £50 Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukamon wrote:
if OP had asked this 3 days ago

He did.

VugarL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:20 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fair points guys! Thanks for the replies. I got the bike for £850 anyways, imagine spending £200 or so on 2 pieces of plastic Shocked Laughing
Found one or two on Ebay for 40-50 quid but oh boy are they not in one piece.
Ah damn! Would've definitely taken those lowers off your mate Luka!! Might post a pic of the bike if I do find those fairing and manage to fully "gear up" the moto. Currently re-holstering the seats with red seat fabric and got my hands on a back seat cowl along with new shorty levers.

Ps. Dippy, not the most of the helpful responses there mate. If you haven't got the relevant info I need, keep the opinions to yourself. Thanks for putting in the effort to tell me you're not going to put in the effort to tell me Middle Finger Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VugarL wrote:
Ps. Dippy, not the most of the helpful responses there mate. If you haven't got the relevant info I need, keep the opinions to yourself. Thanks for putting in the effort to tell me you're not going to put in the effort to tell me Middle Finger Thumbs Up

I gave you a correct answer, you cocksocket. It may not have been the answer you wanted, but it's never going to be an easy proposition to graft fairing's (or many other parts) between unrelated models. If you have to ask, you are probably not capable.

Then you got he all offended, even after I told you the likely scope of the work involved, *and* a possible donor bike that uses an almost identical motor and frame. So you can take your offended little arse, piss off elsewhere, and go suck some cocks on a dock or a street corner or whatever it is you retarded shitmunching spunktrumpet's do these days when you're having a break from being offended.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:39 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my signature.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1