Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Loud ticking sound CBR600F4i

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Loud ticking sound CBR600F4i Reply with quote

CBR600F4i 2002. No mods other than suspension and stainless exhaust pipes.

Haven't ridden it for a few weeks.

I did however change the oil.

I can't work out what it is.

Is the exhaust blowing?
Clutch rattle? (Honda it's a given).
Cam chain?
Valves need adjustment?

I'd rather find out what the problem is get the bits then fix it rather than take it apart to find out the problem.

Thanks
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 15:40 - 12 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I listened to it, I thought, "CBR600, gotta be cam chain" Laughing
Having listened to it, is it the twin cylinder version? Razz
Exhaust blow is what I'm thinking now.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Before I listened to it, I thought, "CBR600, gotta be cam chain" Laughing
Having listened to it, is it the twin cylinder version? Razz
Exhaust blow is what I'm thinking now.

Good guess.

I took the body work off and one of the nuts on the studs is missing on cylinder 1.

Hopefully it will be a simple nut replacement and I've got a couple of them.

Thanks
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the sound come from? Side, front, top, bottom, back of engine?

Cam chain tensioner noise is much more metallic and more of a rattle than a tap. The typical clutch basket noise isn't tappy either, more of a low level rattle that goes when you pull in the clutch and comes from under the clutch side.

It sounds like a blowing exhaust to me which should be fairly easy to find by feeling and listening for leaks, mine sounded dreadful when a header stud came loose. Does the bike run well?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it.

Cylinder 1 the nuts on the collar had come loose.

One was completely missing and the other side was loose.

https://imgur.com/a/nf22iAw
https://i.imgur.com/QcpMQU8l.jpg

So it's just a case of tightening those nuts and thread locking them right Praying

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
So it's just a case of tightening those nuts and thread locking them right Praying

Should be. The gaskets are crushed to seal, so there is a chance you might need new gaskets if they blow a bit after tightening up. I have a set of 4 copper CBR600f gaskets you can have if it is still blowing afterwards.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it even run on all 4 cylinders? I do agree with the exhaust leak, but even then, it does sound rough.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

Should be. The gaskets are crushed to seal, so there is a chance you might need new gaskets if they blow a bit after tightening up. I have a set of 4 copper CBR600f gaskets you can have if it is still blowing afterwards.

Thanks for the offer but I still have some left from about 11 years ago when I fixed my other bike. Fat fingers ordered two sets. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Does it even run on all 4 cylinders? I do agree with the exhaust leak, but even then, it does sound rough.

Yes it does, all 4 of the pipes are hot.

I did a lot of riding over the summer and it needs a some servicing.

The problem is that it's pretty much impossible to get into town in under 90 minutes (15 miles) as there are roadworks on every main road into town so I've not had time to do the servicing.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did up the nut.

There is significantly less noise.

What is worrying however is almost ALL the nuts were loose.

So I guess at the weekend it will be a case of a radiator removal and sticking in some new copper crush washers and thread locking them as the danger (I hope) of the studs snapping is greatly diminished if I can undo the nuts with my fingers.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I did up the nut.

There is significantly less noise.

What is worrying however is almost ALL the nuts were loose.

So I guess at the weekend it will be a case of a radiator removal and sticking in some new copper crush washers and thread locking them as the danger (I hope) of the studs snapping is greatly diminished if I can undo the nuts with my fingers.

Mine were like that a year or so after fitting new downpipes using brass nuts and stainless studs properly dripping in copper grease. I assumed the gaskets settled in a bit and released tension on the studs allowing the nuts to come undone. They didn't loosen off again after I tweaked them all up but I was planning on adding a second nut to each stud to lock them in place if they did.

Can you get threadlock that can handle the heat?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1