Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Shaft wrote:

As for silly habits, I think mine is quite common, but for years I didn't know I was doing it - I leave a leg trailing behind when I pull away from a standstill, as if I'm leaving the start grid of a GP.

Lots of people do it, I still do it on the super scooter, I've never known why racers do it, or why I (and others) do it.

The only thing I can think of, with one or both legs, is it maybe helps to lean over the front a bit more, get your weight over the front to stop the front end from coming up on a fast launch? Possibly helping with balance at the same time from a standstill, perhaps just not upsetting the balance so much on the initial pull-away by moving the legs at the critical point. Why people do it on the road when pulling away normally might be another matter though - does it look "cool"? (I don't know, I'm not qualified to judge these things Laughing)

That does make some sense. I think I started doing it when I went up from a 50 to my RD250 and my favourite thing was to launch with the front wheel a couple of inches off the deck and try and maintain that for as long as possible.

I suppose putting some weight over the front helped that and it was more comfortable if you didn't have both feet on the pegs.

Does it look cool? I'm no judge of that either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

That does make some sense.

Gee, thanks, I have been known to once in a while Laughing

Me and my mate used to see who could get the best launch on our GPzs all the time, and I think I used to dangle the legs back so I could lean on the front more easily. His 11 didn't need it so much, but my Turbo's front wheel did enjoy a bit of sky.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Shaft wrote:

That does make some sense.

Gee, thanks, I have been known to once in a while Laughing

Me and my mate used to see who could get the best launch on our GPzs all the time, and I think I used to dangle the legs back so I could lean on the front more easily. His 11 didn't need it so much, but my Turbo's front wheel did enjoy a bit of sky.

20 years or more ago I used to bait other riders at the lights, and rev my bike up and look like I was going for a launch, and then when the lights went red/amber, just lazily pop it into first, and pull slowly away on green as they disappeared down the road Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

20 years or more ago I used to bait other riders at the lights, and rev my bike up and look like I was going for a launch, and then when the lights went red/amber, just lazily pop it into first, and pull slowly away on green as they disappeared down the road Very Happy

See, I'm still infantile enough that I'll have to try that Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^More fun when gixer jonny pulls alongside giving it the race nod which you then ignore before giving it the berries as the lights change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^More fun when gixer jonny pulls alongside giving it the race nod which you then ignore before giving it the berries as the lights change.

I have too much mechanical sympathy these days Embarassed

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^and my race starts are frankly appalling. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^and my race starts are frankly appalling. Mr. Green

See you at the knacker's yard Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:37 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rule of 3,

If I have 2 'moments' (either being too ham fisted or being pulled out on) on the bike I change how I ride, in my experience the 3 one will come and is always bigger.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get really nervous if I haven't crashed my dirt bike for a while, as I'm just convinced a big one is coming.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pat the tank of my bike (when I'm passing it in the garage, or just before going out far a mad blat)

The steering wheels in my cars / van get patted as well...

I also have a long sleeve T shirt (The Black Crowes) that I bought in the 1990s... it very quickly became the thing to wear under my jacket on the bike. I still use it as my 'motorbiking shirt', last time was yesterday.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Tried doing this the other day, but my VFR is an old girl now. I actually felt it reject the change up into second, accidentally revved in neutral and then when I finally managed to find a gear, it was third. I’m convinced the bike did that on purpose just to show me up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

Tried doing this the other day, but my VFR is an old girl now. I actually felt it reject the change up into second, accidentally revved in neutral and then when I finally managed to find a gear, it was third. I’m convinced the bike did that on purpose just to show me up.

Did you forget to pat it before you went out? Wink

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bike superstitions but I used to work on fishing trawlers. Oh my those with boats are slightly odd!

My uncle refused to take boiled eggs (with shells on) onto his boat. The reason being that if some egg shell fell overboard the the devil would climb into the shell, paddle to his boat and cause trouble!!

One large fishing trawler I worked on was nuts. No animals could be named - you could only describe them and even that was limited. Every single flying creature was called a duck (seagulls are ducks..). Animals with legs to walk on were then divided into two classes; long tails and fluffy tails. Horses are long tails, deer, rabbits etc are fluffy tails.
I remember one morning we were 4 miles out of port and in perfect weather and expected to land a huge haul once we reached the fishing grounds. I accidentally said 'rabbit' whilst stirring my cup of tea. With that, the skipper turned and returned to port for the day - 4 crew, 45 foot trawler and a loss of many thousands of pounds. All because I said rabbit and not fluffy tail..

I know a woman who if she puts a top on backwards, will then spin it around her body 9 times to bring luck back (obviously not with her arms in the sleeves!).

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil crawling into the shell and causing trouble?
He/She/It wouldn't be very large in that case, so not much of a threat surely.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Devil crawling into the shell and causing trouble?
He/She/It wouldn't be very large in that case, so not much of a threat surely.

You have no idea how nuts those North Sea fisherfolk are!
To us it's obvious but those superstitions must have began for a reason..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand superstitions if there had once been a history or men, children or animals coming to harm or disappearing, say in Australia's Fitzroy river or somewhere equally dangerous etc.

But doing an extensive or time consuming ritual because you put a jumper on backwards or walked into a door, ladder etc is less easy to comprehend? I might call myself a daft cunt if I put a shirt on back to front or inside out, but that's it.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:43 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years and years ago I used to duck (I've no idea why I ducked) and say "Hail Mary, Mother of God" if I happened to ride to an orange/red light in London. Of course, I don't do this anymore because I don't jump ambers ....

I did the foot dragging launch until the sole of my boot tore away and I had a very wet and cold foot all the way home. I still tap my left foot in frustration while the driver in front remembers what green light means, then searches around the car for the gear stick, works out which gear to choose and then finally limps off at the lights ...

And I pat the Bonnie on the tank and tell it that it's still the best bike ever

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too put a leg out for GP start. But only 2 legs if excessive vigor has been used, only recently using the rear brake rather than hauling weight over the front.

Also pat the seat of the bike when in the garage, or after the return from ride peppered with lairy overtakes that all panned out.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to eat nothing bigger than my head because the only time I did I was really poorly.

OGR.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

left glove first. always.

also not so much a superstition but an act of paranoia, I panic i've got one of my stands down so I check them intermittently throughout all rides.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodding to every walkers truck I see or saluting. Yes it sounds odd it looks even odder. However when ever I've seen one these last few years some good luck has followed me.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a biking superstition, but when I’m in the swimming pool before a swim training session, I always Have to do a mock tumble turn in the water to get my head wet the first time before I swim.

Otherwise I feel that I dont swim as well for that session.

Oh.. and magpies... I always salute a solo magpie.
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s bad luck to get run over by a train on a Friday.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
It’s bad luck to get run over by a train on a Friday.

Even if you we're aiming for it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2