BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time for a change - recommend me a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your top end budget can be moved by 1000 pounds then how about an MT-10?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
If your top end budget can be moved by 1000 pounds then how about an MT-10?

I'd rather keep the budget a bit leaner. I don't do enough miles to justify having something more expensive kicking around the garage. But cheers anyway, good suggestion Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
Right outside the box, what about a Suzuki B King.

I do quite like them but they're a land whale and I've got a bit of a gimpy shoulder that makes moving things around at a stand-still a real PITA. Too heavy for me I reckon Sad

B King aside, I'll bet your shoulder isn't as bad as mine, but I have no problems with my own, not particularly light bike. Are you doing yourself a disservice by dismissing anything over 200kgs? Frankly, with the state of our roads today, I find the weight helps to dampen the bumps - it's one thing I didn't like about the Street Triple; it got thrown about a lot by all that. Sharp handling is fine on a good surface, but it's largely wasted on poor ones. Having said that, with a few good mods, I reckon I've hit on a pretty decent compromise.

I'm only speculating, as of course, your shoulder problem might really be a limiting factor - everybody's disabilities are different, and affect them in different ways.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Are you doing yourself a disservice by dismissing anything over 200kgs?

I'm only speculating, as of course, your shoulder problem might really be a limiting factor - everybody's disabilities are different, and affect them in different ways.

I'm not dismissing them per-se; the KTM creeps over it and is manageable but I'd prefer it lighter if poss. The B King as you allude is the wrong side of porky for me, though.

It's a poorly healed rotator cuff - limited movement and strength. Can work around it but I'd just prefer not to, really.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairy snuff Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, with those feck-off huge dustbins that masquerade as exhaust cans on the B King, get rid of those and you'd likely halve the weight Laughing

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to go to a decent dealer and rack up a few test rides Thumbs Up

My want list was similar to yours, I considered:

Z900
Street triple R 765
MT09
Z1000
Gsxs 1000

Test rode the street 765 (previously owned a 675) and the z900, both great bikes in their own right, then went and bought a 2016 MT09....price was too good to resist and I absolutely love it.

Only downside of the mt09 if you intend on taking it long distance are it's 14L fuel tank.

I didn't consider a speed triple, bit tall at the seat for me, plus the additional weight. As you get closer to 100mph, I'm sure the power would have made a difference over the street, but Id rather take the low weight.

Be interested to see what you end up with!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Knowing my recent purchasing history, it'll be no time soon and something that doesn't meet the original criteria in any way shape or form Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
bacon wrote:

Knowing my recent purchasing history, it'll be no time soon and something that doesn't meet the original criteria in any way shape or form Laughing

This makes perfect sense to me! Time to go with one of those "affairs of the heart" I mentioned earlier Very Happy

So what does your heart say?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably says Tuono to be fair. Diavel possibly too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion pleases me in that it has shown me there are still some quite desirable bikes around. If I had money, I think I could quite get back into the damn things.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A B-King trike Thinking

I think I could handle that. It wouldn't fall over anyway Laughing

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

XSR900 is the milf equivalent of the MT09 if the looks of the MT09 aren't doing it for you.

I'm holding out for Yamaha to make an XSR1000 based on the MT10 Drooling .

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple RS surely worth a test ride.

I really like the Kawasaki Z900RS. Its retro but done right, unlike the Triumph Thruxton R which is overly Chintzy imo.

Ducati ST4 or M900. But in some ways, may be too similar to KTM.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
XSR900 is the milf equivalent of the MT09 if the looks of the MT09 aren't doing it for you.

I'm holding out for Yamaha to make an XSR1000 based on the MT10 Drooling .

Agreed. I suspect it would be as, if not more beautiful than the XSR 900,

Especially in the Kenny Roberts colours

Omnomnomomnom Drooling

ಠ_ಠ

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It probably says Tuono to be fair. Diavel possibly too.

The diavel does look a mean bike but .... Tuono. Do iiitttt

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, I can't believe that someone who works in the insurance industry has to limit his budget in any way, shape or form. Maybe sell the luxury yacht, eh? Then you could have them all Razz

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Tbh, I can't believe that someone who works in the insurance industry has to limit his budget in any way, shape or form. Maybe sell the luxury yacht, eh? Then you could have them all Razz

Hey I'm not as rich as Val.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£7k would get you a decent cruiser.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
£7k would get you a decent cruiser.

" Thumbs Down Confusing" Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2