Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyone think they have below average intelligence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 08:54 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

Something I was thinking about today, by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence. Anyone wanna own up to that?

I'd be more like 30-40% on here I reckon, as the ability to use a computer and the willingness to engage in discourse probably appeals more to smarter people.

So does anyone thing they are below average intelligence?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:07 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Something I was thinking about today, by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence. Anyone wanna own up to that?

I'd be more like 30-40% on here I reckon, as the ability to use a computer and the willingness to engage in discourse probably appeals more to smarter people.

So does anyone thing they are below average intelligence?

I know I'm not below average, but someone very close to me (can't name any names, they are embarrassed about it) is a member of Mensa which does make me feel a bit inferior, as there are definitely certain areas where they just blow me away in terms of speed and clarity of thought.

I did an IQ test years ago when I was tired after a 12 hour shift for sh*ts and giggles and it said I had an IQ of 144 and had special abilities in the area of logic. It was a free online one, so who knows if it's accurate, but I don't quite think it's within the Mensa threshold sadly.

You're right though, it's a weird thing to think about. Especially as some people are only just at the level where they can safely drive a car or motorcycle and having a cold for example is supposed to remove as much as 15 IQ points, which means a fairly normal person with just a sniffle can actually become dangerous on the road... Scary thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 09:37 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

I think I'm very clever in the generic logical sense. I just lack anything around it. I am not remotely musical, artistic or creative, I'm no good at dealing with or understanding emotions and I am pretty lazy.

I also cannot learn particularly well in a classroom environment. My Intelligence carried me so far (to about AS level) getting As/Bs with no effort however I totally fucked my A levels because A discovered Wetherspoons and B I was too lazy to put any effort in. I have to be shown things and am very much learn by doing.

I'm the total opposite of my missus. She smashes anything academic, has a masters from UCL, is doing another degree through work at the moment. She is very creative and draws/paints/writes etc.

Despite her much higher education I'm quicker to the punch 80% of the time, e.g. I'll smash a Countdown numbers game in seconds normally where she'll maybe not always get them.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My level of intelligence is above average. Although, I haven't done an IQ test since I was a kid.

I still make make poor choices.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:57 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, "intelligence" as the OP refers to it, is likely IQ, and IQ is only an indicator of certain characteristics.

The other thing is that beyond a gap of 20-30 points, communication between individuals is quite challenging, so you'll find most people's friends are within that band from themselves.

The mean IQ is 100, that's where the centre of the distribution is. Anything below 70 is medically defined as a learning difficulty while Mensa accept those in the top 2%, which on most real tests is anything above 132.

Now it won't correlate exactly as personal choice and circumstances/upbringing come into it, but 44% of school leavers now go to university against entrance criteria and limited places, so whilst you may get someone with a high IQ who decides to pursue something else, or simply wasnt given the support through childhood to acheive their potential, and there are, for sure, some mouth breathers in university, the general trend seems to suggest that most degree holders will be above average.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Something I was thinking about today, by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence.

That's not necessarily true. The population of "bikechatforums" may not be the same as a random sample of the population as a whole. If you're talking about the average intelligence of the bikechatforums posters, though, there will be an average intelligence for that population, and about half the population will be below it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no idea.

Thinking

Perhaps that means I do Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never been measured and leaving school at 16 with a few O levels, I must assume I am below or at best average if you consider intelligence to be a measured quotient.
I've worked with extremely intelligent people who's lack of common sense in the real world makes them a danger to themselves and others. At the other end I've worked with others who could hardly read or write but were incredibly practical and adept at negotiating the real world, who's the most intelligent there?
As for me, well as an unqualified thick according to averages, I have my own business, travel the world working on and teaching others about complicated machinery. I am well read and have more than a passing interest in art history. I can be in anyones company and not feel out of place or intimidated either intellectually or emotionally and most importantly I can strip and rebuild a YPVS engine only referring to the manual for some of the torque settings Smile
Intelligence is the sum of many things and I believe is almost impossible to measure. I'm quite happy to be considered below average.

OGR.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I can strip and rebuild a YPVS engine only referring to the manual for some of the torque settings Smile

Such simple bikes, even I could work on those Razz

I've done well at most tests I've taken. I'm supposed to be quite good at logic too. Last test of that kind I did, I finished well before everyone else and scored somewhere in the 90% region. But I was gasping for a cigarette and a coffee Confused Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea but I've got numerous qualifications, ran a multi million pound shipping group and like doing crosswords, does that equate to intelligence or IQ or logic or what?

I also forget things but that is probably the onset of senility or dementia Laughing

Oh, and I fathered a very clever boy and girl and a lovely girl who's the kindest person going but sadly as thick as shit.

Is a thicky more likely to turn to crime? I would guess so?

Stereo typing? You bet. Thumbs Up

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 'intelligence' subjective? The google definition is 'the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.' But I don't think the IQ test can really assess that.
Is how clever we are, our street smarts or our ability to use a sense once known as common measured in another way?

I think a lower level of intelligence is easier to get away with these days (without me descending into another rant about the professional TV stupids). Or worse, celebrated by the impressionable minds of the teenagers.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Something I was thinking about today, by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence.

That's not necessarily true. The population of "bikechatforums" may not be the same as a random sample of the population as a whole. If you're talking about the average intelligence of the bikechatforums posters, though, there will be an average intelligence for that population, and about half the population will be below it.

I like how you ignored the next paragraph that said that... Was this your way putting yourself in the below group? Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think IQ is a good measure of intelligence. It ignores so many facets such as emotional ability, empathy, common sense etc. We all know people who come across as intelligent but don't know how to say please or thank you... Personally I think that puts them below average.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle used to always say to me, "Use your loaf, you're smarter than the average bear".

My Mum used to say, "I don't know where you got your brains from because it isn't me and your Dad was a dumbass".

I've never really done any tests of "intelligence". I can't be too "stupid" in the academic sense but I've been around some people with astounding brains. Despite those amazing brains, I can find them frustrating to be around. I have quite a simple sense of humour and tend not to take things too seriously (when around other people). That doesn't seem to work with that sort. Perhaps I've been around more autistic of the intelligent folk?

I believe intelligence is a broad term - ...judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree ... - It simply cannot be measured, and reported, without context and its limitations.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:04 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intelligence is distinct from emotion, so being able to talk to people and be polite is pretty much no indicator of pure brainpower.

There were people that were arguing that David Beckham has a genius level intellect because he can curve a ball. I'd argue against that as he does it intuitively without truly understanding the physics behind it.

So, sorry to all those who are going "But I'm nice to people and can read emotions!" It doesn't count, bro. Common sense doesn't really qualify you either. I've seen both intelligent and stupid people with loads and no common sense.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can feel my knowledge drain away, things I used to know I have forgotten. I also feel that most of my knowledge from what I do remember and the experience is no longer relevant or required.

So much can either be googled, Youtubed or not needed at all.

Am I intelligent? Yes.
Is my intelligence relevant? Not sure.
Do I care? Hell no!

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:17 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wiki...

An intelligence quotient (IQ) is a total score derived from several standardized tests designed to assess human intelligence.

Human intelligence is the intellectual prowess of humans, which is marked by complex cognitive feats and high levels of motivation and self-awareness.[1] Through their intelligence, humans possess the cognitive abilities to learn, form concepts, understand, apply logic, and reason, including the capacities to recognize patterns, comprehend ideas, plan, solve problems, make decisions, retain information, and use language to communicate. Intelligence enables humans to experience and think.

Scores from intelligence tests are estimates of intelligence. Unlike, for example, distance and mass, a concrete measure of intelligence cannot be achieved given the abstract nature of the concept of "intelligence".[6] IQ scores have been shown to be associated with such factors as morbidity and mortality,[7][8] parental social status,[9] and, to a substantial degree, biological parental IQ. While the heritability of IQ has been investigated for nearly a century, there is still debate about the significance of heritability estimates[10][11] and the mechanisms of inheritance.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's cleared that up then!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:30 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a separate quotient called 'EQ' for emotional quotient.

While for some it may come instinctively - this can also be a skill that is learned if people are motivated to do so.

A youtube video from an Aspergers expert I watched recently explained that people can effectively cure themselves of it - by conscientiously learning to deal with social situations that others may find easy without further thought - they are able to alter their behaviour to the point they are no longer classified as having the conditions.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I like how you ignored the next paragraph that said that... Was this your way putting yourself in the below group? Laughing

But even that relies on an assumption of normal distribution.

If we had a population of ten people, nine with an IQ of 80 and one with an IQ of 150, the average IQ is 87, but 90% of the population have a below-average IQ. I'd guess that a large population would tend towards a normal distribution, but it's an assumption rather than a given.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:14 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

But even that relies on an assumption of normal distribution.

Not so much an assumption; I believe IQ tests are designed to fit a normal distribution.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below average no.

But on iq tests and the like I fail terribly on some sections, usually shapes, patterns and sequences.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence. Anyone wanna own up to that?

This reminds me of the observation that about 80% reckon they are better than average drivers Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of a line by a Mr Carlin, apparently a stand-up comedian from the USA, who said:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that"

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
chris-red wrote:
by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence. Anyone wanna own up to that?

This reminds me of the observation that about 80% reckon they are better than average drivers Rolling Eyes

I'm happy to say I'm an 'average' at best Car Driver, I've only done maybe 10k miles in the 5 years since I passed my test.
I have good forward vision and good theory knowledge. But my actual car control is not that great. Add to that a bit of boy racer and impatience is not a great mix. BTW I'm picking up my new 300bhp rally car tonight Laughing

On the flip side I reckon I'm in the top 10% of bike riders out there. In the 12 years I've been riding I've probably averaged 10k miles a year. I did a Bikesafe about 7 years ago now and was told by my instructor "Your machine control is probably better than mine". I ride in and out of London Everyday and cover the 16 miles between Hornchurch and Shoreditch in under 30 minutes in rush hour. I was at the TT this year and probably went over the mountain I think about 8 times, I reckon my overtakening to being overtook was probably about a 15 to 1 ratio.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3