Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Job decisions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Job decisions... Reply with quote

I've been in my job for about 4 months now, it's a very progressive company, perks are good, pay is good and hours aren't bad.
However I'm feeling totally out of my depth.

I'm all about providing support for a specific finance software package, the company took me on knowing I didn't have any background in finance but do have a lot of experience of helpdesk, analyst roles, support etc.

Problem is, I'm taking calls asking for in depth finance help with the systems and I have no idea how to help. It's embarrassing!
So far I've managed to blag my way through it all, leaning on my colleagues a huge amount, and generally palming things off or letting them get behind. But it doesn't feel good, and I get anxiety about it all.
The worst is yet to come though as one of my more experienced colleagues is leaving soon and not being replaced - I'm expected to partly fill his boots - whilst also moving into a more team leader/customer liaison role.

I'm honest about my situation with my manager, though perhaps I don't make it out to be as bad as it actually is - after all I don't want to be seen to not be able to do my job.
I just really don't know whether to just keep winging it and hope for the best, (perhaps I'll pick it up eventually...) or begin the old job searching again.
Previous to this I got made redundant late last year after 3 years in an analyst role, and did shift work for a few months in-between but that didn't work out at all, the shifts messed up my family life.

Will I be seen as a risk or unemployable looking for a new job after a few months? My recent history over the years is holding down jobs for 3-4 years, more recently for 4-5 months and before all that I was with a large company for over 10 years with multiple progressive roles.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good old case of Outsider Syndrome. It takes time to pick up these things, it just depends how understanding the company are. Take lots of notes and try to learn as much as you can.
Try to find something that you aredoing right though, if you have some strengths then you can fall back on that and use it to build yourself up.

I work as a maintenance engineer and we’ve had some great engineers work at my place who have all sorts of skills and experiences, but they’re all pretty useless until they’ve spent a few months learning the plant, so it’s probably quite similar to you.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a touch of imposter sydrome thrown in;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that you don't understand the financial terminology?
They must have thought you would pick it up or they'd never have given you the job.

Perhaps you could ask to go on a short "lingo" course ,maybe tell them you don't understand the mechanism of the Instruments they are dealing with.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
imposter sydrome thrown in

That’s what I meant. I’m very familiar with the feeling, although since everybody else has left the maintenance department except me I’m feeling quite superior right now, even if it is the Arnold Rimmer method of progression.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I guess it is a bit 'imposter syndrome'.
I've got various training resources available, it's just a very complicated piece of software to get used to - and I don't want to end up being the fall guy because expectations are higher than I can deliver.
Give it 3 years, I might be in a better position Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:00 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I've switched 'proper' jobs, I've thought I was way out of my depth. It will come eventually, you'll be fine as long as you don;t pretend you know more than you do and fuck something. Be aware of your limits and do not be afraid to tell people you are new and have to check.

I've been in my current role 9 years, I still don't know it all and didn't feel fully comfortable in my knowledge until a couple of years ago. I'm now looking to move so I get something new. Laughing

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once joined a company supporting a 'legal forms' software package.

I've never worked in the legal sector and only had a solid year in first line IT Support prior to it. It took me a good year to find my feet in terms of the technical side of the software.

What I excelled at was being able to talk to the customer in a confident manner and even if I didn't know the answer, gather the right information at the right time to then push it up the chain.

When you get tissues you're unsure of, work with the more senior people so you pick up what they know. You'll soon start to 'get it'.

Stick with it a few more months. You'll get the hang of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:28 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn you guys beat me to it - defo imposter syndrome. everyone has it starting out in a new field

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:54 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it another month and you will be swanning about like you own the gaff.

What everyone has said is correct.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were honest though the interview stages and were still appointed, then they saw something else that appealed to them enough to move past the lack of finance specific experience. Hold your nerve and have a little faith in their judgement.

I reckon I've interviewed and appointed in the region of 10-15 people in the last 3 years, and on balance I'd rather the right person with the wrong knowledge than the other way around. Team fit, organisational fit, the ability to learn etc.... are all things that I can't really teach somebody, job specific knowledge in many cases can be picked up within a year.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe give it another 3 years and I might be halfway there colinK98!!

I was honest in the interview, they know I haven't had experience of using this software before - let alone advising on it! I've been told they took me on coz my psychometric test results were high and showed I could pick things up very quickly.

Good thing is, since the longer standing more knowledgeable guy is leaving soon, they're very unlikely to get rid of me even if I am crap and slower than expected... Laughing

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:25 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Maybe give it another 3 years and I might be halfway there colinK98!!

I was honest in the interview, they know I haven't had experience of using this software before - let alone advising on it! I've been told they took me on coz my psychometric test results were high and showed I could pick things up very quickly.

Good thing is, since the longer standing more knowledgeable guy is leaving soon, they're very unlikely to get rid of me even if I am crap and slower than expected... Laughing

you can teach technique and knowledge.
Skill / aptitude and the application of it, is something that comes from you as a person.

it sounds as if they felt you had the right aptitude, so with a bit of training and experience you will work out just fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1