Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New rider, Kawasaki ER-6F, riding efficiently

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ravion
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: New rider, Kawasaki ER-6F, riding efficiently Reply with quote

Hello there, first time post, after buying my first proper bike, my 15 plate ER-6F.
I'm loving it so far, but a bit of a question, how do I stop that fuel level dropping quite so quickly?
Do you guys have any good general tips that may help out new riders such as myself?

Cheers. Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

use less right hand and change gears earlier?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure your fuel efficiency over the next few times you fill up. Compare your efficiency with figures others are getting and the Kawasaki claimed fuel efficiency. You might be doing all the right things already, but if you're used to a smaller bike (or car) then you might just have to get used to filling up more frequently.
Also make a note of how much fuel you could fit in when you thought it was 'empty' and compare to the fuel tank capacity. You might be filling up when you have lots of litres left in the tank.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 600cc bikes do about 45mpg in the real world, which takes some getting used to after a 120mpg 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs used to get about 60mpg out of her er6n, f is more streamlined. Need to supply us numbers and type of riding to give you any relevant feedback.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Mrs used to get about 60mpg out of her er6n, f is more streamlined. Need to supply us numbers and type of riding to give you any relevant feedback.

Yes, that's more-or-less what I got too !.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 13 plate ER6F for a couple of years. I thought it was pretty frugal in comparison to it's replacement my MT09 Spacker.
There is an ECO emblem on the ER6F's display panel, keep that displaying and it's about as good as you'll get tbh. I
ragged mine everywhere and never really paid that much attention to how much fuel it was using, so can't give figures
but I'm definitely at the pump loads more often on the MT.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
There is an ECO emblem on the ER6F's display panel

That sounds like the antithesis of what should be on a motorbike. Maybe it's just there to remind the rider when it's lit up he is having 99.9% less fun than he should be having.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:51 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride like you have no brakes - accelerating burns more fuel than cruising, so plan further ahead and carry your speed around corners. Smooth is the key.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did low to mid 50s. Probably could have been better but I like to rag about on occasion. It could just about hit 60 on a long run but about town commuting I only got about 120 miles to a tank. They fuel guage does read empty when there's a couple of litres left. My VFR is significantly more thirsty.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Mine did low to mid 50s. Probably could have been better but I like to rag about on occasion. It could just about hit 60 on a long run but about town commuting I only got about 120 miles to a tank. They fuel guage does read empty when there's a couple of litres left. My VFR is significantly more thirsty.

ER6 did 60mpg on a 70mph motorway haul, 55mpg at 90mph.
VFR does 40mpg with gentle application of throttle, but being gentle is like having a sandwich filled with just lettuce. Last fill up I worked it out to 32mpg.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
VFR does 40mpg with gentle application of throttle, but being gentle is like having a sandwich filled with just lettuce. Last fill up I worked it out to 32mpg.

Yup. 30-40, stupidity dependant. They go well for heavy old barges.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1