Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aero on a vespa??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:19 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Aero on a vespa?? Reply with quote

Hey so my scooter has no windshield and im sitting bolt upright when I ride it. Top speed atm is 55 mph.

Few questions

Would fitting a windshield improve my speed via aerodynamics.

Is there a way to get pegs bolted on a bit back so I can ride in a lower aero position? I looked up a full tuck position on a scooter where the rider has his feet to the side well behind the platform but it doesnt look safe at all.

Are they any techniques to ride aerodynamically in general on scooters?

My bike is a vespa et4 1999

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:55 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Aero on a vespa?? Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Hey so my scooter has no windshield and im sitting bolt upright when I ride it. Top speed atm is 55 mph.

Few questions

Is there a way to get pegs bolted on a bit back so I can ride in a lower aero position? I looked up a full tuck position on a scooter where the rider has his feet to the side well behind the platform but it doesnt look safe at all.

Are they any techniques to ride aerodynamically in general on scooters?

My bike is a vespa et4 1999

Best bet would be to burn it and buy something that was designed to go faster.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Aero on a vespa?? Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

Is there a way to get pegs bolted on a bit back so I can ride in a lower aero position?

1) Don't know, may make it a bit more comfy.

2) Try riding in an areodynamic (half-piked) position and see what if any difference it makes before doing more.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Aero on a vespa?? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
tara1234 wrote:

Is there a way to get pegs bolted on a bit back so I can ride in a lower aero position?

1) Don't know, may make it a bit more comfy.

2) Try riding in an areodynamic (half-piked) position and see what if any difference it makes before doing more.

How would I get into half-piked position on a scooter?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:13 - 26 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Aero on a vespa?? Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

How would I get into half-piked position on a scooter?

Feet first. Make sure that you don't have your legs apart or your labia may act as a sail.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you need to do Very Happy

https://youtu.be/3Iz7ZMALaCY?t=55s

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd prefer a Bounty on a Lambretta... or a Flake on a Speed-Fighter... no, no, Caramel.... on a Honda Oddesey! Lol!

If scooters had been meant to go fast... they'd have given them bigger wheels!

Continuing the Bumble-Bee philosophy of the Vespa, though, I do have a couple of acquaintances, who steadfastly refute the notion, and manage rather indiscreet lap-times round Mallory on the things.. but then, when I thought to mention them in the same breath, their names 'Mick' and 'Paddy'... kind of hint at the level of perversion normal for their 'race'!!!!

Paddy though loathes PX's with a passion; Something to do with thier nikasil chrome bores and fan-cooling; he recons they are the hardest to tune and the least reliable when tuned of any scooter engine he has had the displeasure of having on his dyno.

This then is the crux... to go faster you need more power and/or less drag.

Drag is mainly proportional to frontal area. Sticking a barn-door windscreen on the front of a scooter will not help reduce it. Adding a token fly-screen 'spoiler' wont do a lot for aerodynamics, which wont do much under about 60mph anyway, even if they work, and we are talking full tear-drop streamliners.

55mph on a scooter? Sounds good to me! I'd be rather scared to go even that fast on something with such diddy wheels and the stability of a blamange, with all the weight at the back and bog all suspension.

It's about as quick as Snowie's old Chinese Cruiserette thing, and TBH, if you want fast, its just not the place to start... live with it, and enjoy the ecconomy, or in the case of a Vespa the idea of 'Classic-Cool' and fantacies of Audry Hepburn on the back of it in Roman sunshine, whilst dodging British SMISDY's in the rain!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:56 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I positioned my feet to the back of the platform amd slid back to the end of the seat where the pillion would sit if I had one and I kept up with my mates 125 cruiser.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go faster, why not sell the shit slow vespa and get something that's faster?

Plus, you'd then be faster than your mate on their 125 cruiser. Mr. Green

But getting your full license is the best solution. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP wants a scooter that goes quick and is scary as well as unstable, then he needs one that when you take off the side panels there's letters on both sides of the engine saying YPVS. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you visit Italy or Spain, you'll find people on scooters with windscreens. They'll be wearing helmets with no visors, and they'll be inches away from the shield to compensate for the lack of wind protection for their eyes.

Try the same thing in Britain and you'll be fine until it rains, whereupon you'll have very little vision unless you're on a motorway or somewhere similar with enough wind blast to clear the droplets.

The right answer is pretty much the same for riding any upright naked bike: your neck muscles will adapt over time.

I've toured on my SH300 through Scotland, Wales and Ireland, and its top speed, where it bounces off the limiter, is almost exactly 130kph per GPS (about 90 mph on speedo, actually more like 80). I can guarantee you I feel more wind blast on my commute than you do going 55 on a Vespa.

A windshield is great for motorway travel. Everywhere else, and especially in wet weather, it's no good at all.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:03 - 27 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
you'll be fine until it rains, whereupon you'll have very little vision

Shocked

Across Every Religion, Language, Culture And Hemisphere Every Vehicle Has Wipers, Except Riders. Enough Said!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:37 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If OP wants a scooter that goes quick and is scary as well as unstable, then he needs one that when you take off the side panels there's letters on both sides of the engine saying YPVS. Laughing

Daftly, that's rather how 'Mick' got into them... he used to race in the LC challenge; after one too many attempts to stay with the quick kids running rather naughty TZ350 barels and such, he took the scooter in PX for the blown up eLCie, in order to at least get his money's worth from the seasons club-dues....

TWO things about these 'ere skooteristi... first, they are delusional, to believe that something with wheel-barrow wheels more suited to carting bricks about a building site, has ANY business on a race track.... unless its filling the pot-holes after the truck racers!!!

Second, they are DELUSIONAL! And like the bumble bee, the damn things seem to work, because NO ONE has told the bumble bee! So they keep trying... and more often succeeding! Mind over matter and common sense! They run on pure optimism, I think!

Mick, actually beat his best eLCie lap-times with the scooter... probably because no one told him till after he'd done them! And, we suggested at the time, because he was too embarrassed to be seen on track on the thing, he didn't want to spend ANY more time out there than he had too!

His excuse, and probably more acute, was that he took the thing in PX, and didn't care if he crashed or burned, it was disposable tackle, that I guess, a bit like my old Seven-Fifty rose to the challenge with the pig-in-it, and refused to give up no matter how daft he was with it!

He did get a VFR400 with the intention of going Super-Sport 400 on it.... it ended up on the road, with him doing shoulder checks under his arm-pits, and muttering that it needed too much work to make it a competitive track bike, whilst his scooter could win races as was...

..... As long as Paddy and his Dyno-Developed iron barel Lambretta wasn't about! EVIL device... I go round just to hear him fire the thing up! If you cant see it in the shed, you'd think it was one of Frank-Sheene's Bultaco's.... awesome sound from an air-cooled, piston-ported to the borrocks two-smoke single, on an open spannie! It's like the John Lyden playing the Italian National anthem, on an electric violin through an amp plugged in by Lemi!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
... I go round just to hear him fire the thing up! If you cant see it in the shed, you'd think it was one of Frank-Sheene's Bultaco's.... awesome sound from an air-cooled, piston-ported to the borrocks two-smoke single, on an open spannie! It's like the John Lyden playing the Italian National anthem, on an electric violin through an amp plugged in by Lemi!

This bit is the best thing you’ve ever written Thumbs Up Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find our Tara is of the female persuasion

"Im a woman, 27 years old, no previous driving experience. I havn't bought a bike yet."

Please forgive these neanderthals and their foolish ways my dear

27 eh? close to my own age
Tell me , were you truly wafted here from paradise?
I sense you'd flourish in the hands of a more mature man willing to help you find err....positions of optimum satsfaction
I'm at your beck and call
https://i.imgur.com/aA6B4Nd.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're......... too sexy for your specs, too sexy for your nose, etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 28 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did warn about the labia sail issue...

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure whats wrong with your et4 but mine would hit 65 real speed and 70 on the clock

a short screen will help but not one that you look through as as said when it rains you cant see anything

https://i.imgur.com/r3g2NsX.jpg

this was mine on my old one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1