Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyone think they have below average intelligence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Yes, there has been studies done which say people of lower intelligence are overall happier than those with high intelligence.

But quite possibly, those with greater "intelligence" have greater potential to think themselves towards a happier state? But neither state of, or path to, happiness, is more important than the other. The fact of happiness is the important thing.

If I can be happy because I am intelligent, and worked my way into happiness through wealth or achieving great things, or I can be equally happy having little knowledge or ability to apply it, living in a slum, what does it matter?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anyone think they have below average intelligence? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Something I was thinking about today, by the laws of averages half the people on here have below average intelligence. Anyone wanna own up to that?

I'd be more like 30-40% on here I reckon, as the ability to use a computer and the willingness to engage in discourse probably appeals more to smarter people.

So does anyone thing they are below average intelligence?

Googles Discourse.

I think I’m a little bit thicker than I actually am.
I get by.
#Retard4life
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:51 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But quite possibly, those with greater "intelligence" have greater potential to think themselves towards a happier state? But neither state of, or path to, happiness, is more important than the other. The fact of happiness is the important thing.

If I can be happy because I am intelligent, and worked my way into happiness through wealth or achieving great things, or I can be equally happy having little knowledge or ability to apply it, living in a slum, what does it matter?

That's not what the study said... Nice idea, but happiness doesn't seem to be something you can think your way into. If people could do it, they would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

That's not what the study said... Nice idea, but happiness doesn't seem to be something you can think your way into. If people could do it, they would.

Happiness is a state of mind. Do you think that people have no influence over this? Of course they do. They may need to change their habits to give themselves time for contemplation, but it is perfectly possible to think your way to happiness. You did say "overall"...what do you mean by this, or what did your quoted study mean? It seems to be implying that there are exceptions.

Also, what evidence do you have that people don't think their way to happiness?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below average, yes.

Sometimes take a while to get punchlines to jokes, don't always see the angles that others do, poor spelling/grammar and in particular if I'm not interested in something will never remember it.

However, have been a computer builder, software developer and Accountant. But at EVERY stage, EVERY little thing takes 10x as long to learn / understand. The only thing I've found that works is time and perseverance.

However, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the thickest people at work.

Stupid is as stupid does Smile

We all ride motorbikes, can't be that intelligent Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:23 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Also, what evidence do you have that people don't think their way to happiness?

Err... Peer reviewed studies?

https://www.inc.com/matthew-jones/5-simple-steps-extremely-intelligent-people-take-to-discover-happiness-that-dont-involve-thinking.html

The key to happiness seems to be not to overthink it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's one view. And that's my fault for asking you for evidence; you can find corroboration for any view you like on the internet Laughing And you will certainly find people with that belief, or who have failed to achieve it. It depends on how you think, not what you think about. Even the most intelligent people can get it wrong, although paradoxically, they perhaps ought to be the ones most likely to be able to do it.
For a start, there's meditation. But that's not what I'm really talking about. There are positive thoughts and negative ones. Many people, when they think deeply, tend to analyse what's wrong in their lives, wonder why they can't get along better than they do, or why their achievements haven't proved enough for them.

But that's the wrong approach. The key to thinking yourself to happiness is about acceptance. Every experience, good or bad, adds to the sum of your experience.
As an example, when I feel pain (and I have much experience of this Laughing ), I don't cringe and get down about it. It is an inevitable part of what I have been through, and I must accept it. I can't change it. But overall, it doesn't make me unhappy. It is a different experience, and I can learn from it. Instead of shrinking from it, I can use it to grow from.

You can let things get you down. Or you can use them to move forward.
But if you sincerely believe that you can't think your way to happiness, then you probably won't. The first thing is to drop that idea.

Such things are hard to explain, but I can promise you, you most certainly can think your way to happiness. It's hard to give up your beliefs, change your thinking, and the longer you have spent entrenching such ideas, the harder it will be. But it can be done.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The key to thinking yourself to happiness is about acceptance.

Does that not back up what Marjay said? Doofus, in my limited experience, tends to accept, or rather ignore, that which he does not understand and moves swiftly onto the next pressing conundrum, lager or vodka....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Does that not back up what Marjay said?

No. MarJay seems to believe outright that you cannot think your way to happiness, intelligent or otherwise.
I know that you can. Anyone can. Most choose not to try. Why? I don't know. It perhaps has something to do with the ego.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Does that not back up what Marjay said? Doofus, in my limited experience, tends to accept, or rather ignore, that which he does not understand and moves swiftly onto the next pressing conundrum, lager or vodka....

or Rum in my case. The drink of the intelligentsia..........

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.N1TxO6qi6wpqGtjIOCwBagHaEo&w=279&h=174&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.N1TxO6qi6wpqGtjIOCwBagHaEo&w=279&h=174&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Gotta be Woods 100 Old Navy though.
Some might argue that one of my methods for becoming one with the drink was definitely lacking in intelligence, I would however argue that snorting a teaspoon of Woods up one's snozzer is a well thought out approach to a cheap method for catching up with mates when they've been liquored up for the past three hours....

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Nice idea, but happiness doesn't seem to be something you can think your way into. If people could do it, they would.

I'm only re-regurgitating someone elses ideas. But meditation coupled with The Power of Now blew my mind as I was sober and paralysed with joy for about 45 minutes.
Admittedly it took 3 months of practising meditation to get there, but it was a game changer in terms of what I thought it took to be happy (circumstance vs expectation). The truth being, nothing, it takes nothing to be happy. Happiness comes from the joy at being completely at peace with the moment, which is primarily linked to non-judgemental acceptance. Something the 2nd century Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius was banging on about. So its not a new, tree hugging concept.

Unfortunately the human ego lives / exists on the opposite of being at peace with things as they are, at least for much of the time.
This is another aspect that surprised me, how little I was in control of my mind when actually I thought I was 100%, it was nearer 10%

EDIT:
Just for completeness, should add that meditation does several things. One of which is not remove depression or sad thoughts, but to simply recognise and observe them. This simple act removes some of their power. Over time, you see negative feelings not as things to get rid of / away from / something is wrong, but instead that they are just there and like all other thoughts / feelings.
Over time it helps to re-balance our brains attention and peripheral awareness. The benefits of which are seen throughout the day/night and may well contribute to a calmer mind.
The space you create when meditating can be the only space your mind has given you for months, which in itself can have a profound effect.
Mindfulness helps you to see the patterns of your thought process. And yes, negative thinking can help fuel depression. So being able to stop it / change it will have a positive impact (if not a "cure").

Last edited by Pigeon on 22:41 - 05 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 07:15 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some extremely intelligent people who haven't got a lick of commonsense & some right thicko's who can come out with some blindingly insightful observations.
I have a hard time dealing with allegedly smart people who almost have to be instructed which end of a screwdriver to hold.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If we are moving on to the alcohol scale of intelligence then I must be in the genius percentile. I like a dry Sherry.

Also just to mix things up a little, never mind intelligence what about wisdom? a much more difficult mental attribute to asses.

In response to the original OP. I have literacy problems and was tested over and over when I was at school and using different measurement scales and was always in the top 5% and that was after cheating at the tests to get a lower score as I realised that a lower score would help in wriggling out of school work. However although I have a diagnosis for a literacy problem it always hacks me off when people get on at me to go to university and play the literacy card to get an easier ride. I prefer to just think of myself as being a bit thick and refuse to feel bad about that. I think the social and rather middle class taboo around poor intellectual performance p155es me off more than the fact my struggle with literacy has held me back educationally and therefore other areas of life.

On depression and intellect there are two things that i found interesting studying depression, firstly a higher intellect is a risk factor for depression and positive outcomes for recovery have more to do with wealth and social class, the wealthier higher social class person being in a much better position to take advantage of things which can improve their mental health. Secondly when tested in a controlled environment a person in a depressed state will make a more accurate assessment of reality. Depressed people literally are more aware of how awful life can be. The suggestion in such tests was that to maintain a normal mood state we need to be able to sustain a rather unrealistic view of the world that sustains an aspiration for a better situation.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No. MarJay seems to believe outright that you cannot think your way to happiness, intelligent or otherwise.
I know that you can. Anyone can. Most choose not to try. Why? I don't know. It perhaps has something to do with the ego.

People have a massive general fallacy which is they believe everyone thinks the same way they do. If you can think yourself happy, you probably weren't really unhappy in the first place, and we could all cure depression, anxiety and pretty much any other mental disorder by just 'thinking ourselves better'.

Sorry, doesn't work like that. If you did it, great well done, but some of the most intelligent people in the world are unhappy, and have some level of understanding of mindfulness, meditation, positive thinking etc.

I read a good article recently which argued that positive thinking was essentially nonsense. I didn't necessarily agree, but it made some cogent arguments for its case.

I don't know if this is the same article or not, but a quick google found this:

https://www.earlytorise.com/why-positive-thinking-doesnt-work-2/

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I read articles with a depressing message? Wink

You keep on reinforcing that view to yourself if you wish.
But I am becoming more and more convinced that searching the internet to validate negative ideas can increase depression Laughing

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive thinking combined with efforts to make positive change in your life can work. Also reasonable expectation of what you can and can't achieve.

chickenstrip wrote:
But I am becoming more and more convinced that searching the Internet to validate negative ideas can increase depression

Some people seem determined to be miserable and will obsess over negative things to the point of taking a perverse joy in being a miserable cunt.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 28 years of smoking cannabis I can confirm that I'm in the lower half of intelligence. But saying that I've been healthy for 28 years. Except OD on spice but we won't go there.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think/hope intelligence is a very broad word.
Also I think I have below average intelligence because i'm generally not very good at anything academic or progressive theory, I have no motivation or patience to study but I like to read books for escapism.
I can't mentally handle comparisons of size, say atoms to planets, the whole scalability breaks something in my head and makes me need to sleep Embarassed Laughing Laughing

I'm very logical in thought, in a mechanical sense and like to pick at random life things, wonder why they can't work a different easier way if I can see it possible.

Emotionally I used to be blind, after starting my business doing delivery in 2014 I worked with an autistic guy and it was a huge struggle to understand him, his ways and I don't think until long afterwords I appreciated what he had to offer as a friend and business partner.
He still doesn't talk to me and I regret not being switched on enough to get his method in the madness.
After the business went south I was made homeless, this made me see an entirely different side of the community and the worst of how people can get by. I didn't spent long in this situation, but it was enough to give me a needed change of approach to life, a drive to make me want to do better, be smarter and help people out.
I have worked in a prison setting, this changed my view dramatically on how a society functions and people default to the skills and whatever intelligence they can, the basic traits of types of people and how education/intelligence sets some apart.
I have recently retaken my GCSE's to get level 2's in English, Maths, IT and IAG (samaritans type stuff).

My experiences have made me more understanding of people and circumstances. I have over the last few years become more motivated and driven to make up for the smarts I don't have, I have a mild case of dyscalculia and can't do mental arithmetic to save my life, including working out basic change in a shop queue but it makes me more vigilant on getting stuff right. With the level 2s, I failed the Maths on answers but passed level 1 on working out, because I can show how I got an answer but it isn't 'correct'. I can't do times tables unless I forge them to memory and use them in long term habit.
Being 'dumb' might not be as bigger barrier today as it has been, but I don't feel a need to hide or avoid it personally.
There's no shame in not knowing something, but choosing not to find out?..

andyscooter wrote:
all the thick people are too busy selling stuff on facebook to come on here Very Happy
Laughing Laughing

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certain I am above average in terms of common modern measures i.e. academia. Disruptive at school, never wanting to learn about the things being taught but still getting very good grades.

I really struggle communicating with others. My gf who is perhaps one of the most gifted talkers on the planet is convinced that I am on the autism spectrum because I find it so hard to talk to people about random shit. I'm just of the opinion that I only talk when there is something I want to talk about. I don't just talk for the sake of talking.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define intelligence.

passing exams?
social awareness?
emotional intelligence?
IQ test?

I dare to say people who have all 4 of these are v rich (or could be if they chose to be). Being able to manipulate people/situations and have control of your emotions as well as being both street smart and academia smart will = ££...

Knowledge is power.

Oh and I'd hope im above average, considering the job i do and the qualifications i have, but there is always someone better out there.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:20 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the "intelligent" people I know have never actually been around intelligent people. They've usually dropped out of education after high school and taken up weed at an early age. Throw around a few "jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams" comments and you're a genius apparently.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
Most of the "intelligent" people I know have never actually been around intelligent people. They've usually dropped out of education after high school and taken up weed at an early age. Throw around a few "jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams" comments and you're a genius apparently.

It could if forced through a nozzle under pressure and with added oxygen and ignited. Thumbs Up Wink Laughing
Oh? Hang on? That could be a rocket engine? OR a cutting torch.

Am I intelligent cos I thought about that and created an idea Smile

I really do have to much time on my hands Thinking

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think intelligence is relative.
If you looked at my academic qualifications, it is high. I did Physics at uni and am now an aerodynamics specialist.
However, I'm completely impractical. I can't do up bikes, or learn from Haynes manuals. In that case my intelligence is way below average.

So 50% of people are below average intelligence?
That reminds me when i last went flying and I thought 50% of pilots are below average skill
Pale

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

So 50% of people are below average intelligence?
That reminds me when i last went flying and I thought 50% of pilots are below average skill
Pale

Relax fella, judging by the the number of crashes we have in Florida I would hazard a guess that 90% of them are this side of the pond!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3