Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Taxi driver tipping off burglars?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Taxi driver tipping off burglars? Reply with quote

I've searched and found a couple of cases of taxi drivers taking people to the airport tipping off burglar friends.

Is this really a wide spread thing?

Several families in this street have taken a taxi to the airport and their houses have been broken into shortly after.

Now I'm semi arguing with the other half now about driving her to the airport. I insist on driving her, but she thinks a taxi will be fine and the burglar taxi tip off thing is an urban myth.

Or I may just book her a taxi from the nearby pub instead.

What says BCF?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used airport taxis loads of times. No problems.

But who's to say you won't have problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:29 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Taxi driver tipping off burglars? Reply with quote

Book it using a house number a few doors down and be waiting outside if worried?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get obsessed about it, although even I've thought "crikey they're off to New York for two months, I wonder who lives in that Posh House in Windsor when they're not there, does it sit empty" ... although more from a "homeless people could be living there and its empty all the time" point of view.

But I've no doubt there are *some* taxi drivers who make conversation with their passengers and find out when they will be back. Just the same as there are taxi drivers who have friends that run brothels or hotels, and will take you to their friends and get a bung. I just don't think the burglars thing is as regular a thing as you suspect, so there's no point getting so bent out of shape that you insist on taking the Mrs to the airport yourself every time. MOST NORMAL taxi people wouldn't give it a second thought. There's always a bad apple in any barrel but that doesn't mean you get it every time.

Besides. You can always disengage from conversation and not tell the driver where you're going or for how long. Because for all they know (a) you might be back tomorrow and (b) they have no idea who else might be living in the house, or accessing it whilst you are away. If your cleaner comes in once a week, the taxi driver isn't going to know when or for how long, so they can't warn their scummy burglar mates about that, can they.

You could always lie to them, anyhow "Yeah, off on a business trip, back again in the evening" ... who cares if you lie to a taxidriver that you'll probably never see again anyway.

As well as that, the driver isn't going to know whether you live alone or whether you have family, so how will they know if you have people coming and going (or not) ... you'd have to quiz your passenger on so many aspects of their trip that you'd look suspicious.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
"Yeah, off on a business trip, back again in the evening"

and I'm just taking these three bumper-size suitcases to the airport for a friend who's going on holiday at the same time and who accidentally left them at mine..." Laughing

But yeah, life's just too short to worry about every single theoretical 'what-if'.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxi driver tipping off burglars?

Well they won't get a tip off me Shifty

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:21 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy, ordinarily if it were anyone else I'd probably humour them. However, you seem to be the most paranoid individual on BCF, so just book her the flipping taxi.

I've used reputable taxi firms dozens of times and never had an issue.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:37 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Taxi driver tipping off burglars? Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Now I'm semi arguing with the other half now about driving her to the airport.

So your not going on holiday, just the other half.

on the one hand this demonstrates the flaw in this logic.
the house isn't going to be empty and is not more of an easy target than any other house.

on the other hand you will get burgled while YOUR STILL IN THE HOUSE.

only one option left...

move.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Taxi driver tipping off burglars? Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
the house isn't going to be empty and is not more of an easy target than any other house.

But he didn't say he lived there himself though, did he? (Maybe he does, who knows?)

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Taxi driver tipping off burglars? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

But he didn't say he lived there himself though, did he? (Maybe he does, who knows?)

He didn't so someone looks a touch silly now Mr. Green Laughing

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple days later?

I've had my doorbell rang at 11pm.

CCTV caught a fully hooded man. The CCTV taken from across the street catches the lights going on in my home and him running into a waiting van.

Might be somebody being an idiot might not.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:03 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you took her to the airport, someone else must be tipping off the burglars. Shocked

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you took her to the airport, someone else must be tipping off the burglars. Shocked

She went and booked one herself and had gone when I came home to take her to the airport.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Ste wrote:

She went and booked one herself and had gone when I came home to take her to the airport.

She obviously doesn't trust your driving!!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
So a couple days later?

I've had my doorbell rang at 11pm.

CCTV caught a fully hooded man. The CCTV taken from across the street catches the lights going on in my home and him running into a waiting van.

Might be somebody being an idiot might not.

So you reported it to the Police yes?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So you reported it to the Police yes?

Not yet. The problem being what exactly do I report? That somebody rang my door bell at 11pm?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Not yet. The problem being what exactly do I report? That somebody rang my door bell at 11pm?

This

Itchy wrote:
Several families in this street have taken a taxi to the airport and their houses have been broken into shortly after.

And now your other half has gone away, local cab firm again. Shortly after you have hoodie wearing person knocking on door late at night, runs off when they realise someone is in the house.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest problems here is people tell others that they're going on holiday, where to and how long. Add a little gossip and sooner or later burglar HQ get all the information they need.
I also blame social media for people bragging about holidays (I really don't like FB..) and bingo - burglars have free run for a week in your house.
Yes some taxi drivers are iffy but I reckon the majority of it comes from holidaymakers telling others.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Itchy wrote:

This

Itchy wrote:

And now your other half has gone away, local cab firm again. Shortly after you have hoodie wearing person knocking on door late at night, runs off when they realise someone is in the house.

You have faith in the local Cuntstabullary having the will or thinking power to put two and one together and see any 'pattern' after it is spelled out to them?

Very Happy

But just for the sake of 'I told you so.' I would put it to them anyway.

They can only think the OP is a bit of a crank. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:14 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You have faith in the local Cuntstabullary having the will or thinking power to put two and one together and see any 'pattern' after it is spelled out to them?

If you don't report it then they're even less likely to see any pattern.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id make contact at my local police station(if you can find one)
Inform them of what you have found, it wouldn't be hard to set up a sting . . .
Many moons ago we wired a huge new extension for a local tool hire company, that had about 90k of power tools delivered on a Friday afternoon,
Now the security company couldn't install the new alarm until the following week,
Yep they got robbed, a few months later it turned out that it was a guy from the local Alarm company that had been feeding information to thieves, he got time for it, so no urban myth,
So "The inside man" does exist.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1