Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 322, 323, 324 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
did a thing or two to my gpz900r

fitted a zzr1100 swingarm and rear wheel Cool
This mod loses the 18inch rear wheel and allows me to run the 17inch wheel for better tyre choices.
Oh, and now has 180 rear section rather than the original 140/150.

fitted a new hagon shock and re-greased every bearing i could get to.
New front and rear sprockets fitted in an attempt to keep the gearing the same.

https://i.imgur.com/A1CJxlx.jpg

Did you notice any handling change with the wider section rear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman, havent tested it out yet. To get it to work there were more mods than i anticipated, one of which is to move the shift linkage to the outside of the foot hanger.. which needed a different linkage from a zrx750

Also the swingarm is so much wider, my exhausts don't fit so i'm having to make some changes there too

fitting the smaller wheel/tyre combo will definetly slow the steering a bit and to get around that i've flipped the eccentric adjusters adding an inch to the ride height and am working on custom dog bones to raise the rear as well as working on a renthal bar conversion so i can drop the forks through the yokes.

easy it has not been, but it 'should' be worth it with ultra sticky rubber and decent suspension

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the front tyre on the CF650, and took it out for a test run ..

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/cf650tr_2015_20181010_01_wolverhampton_2.jpg

Probably have to do the rear tyre next month..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter rat -
Replaced starter solenoid.
Which allowed me to discover the starter isn't spinning. Could be wiring, could be the starter itself.

VFR -
Removed can and wheel to get into the rear caliper. Degunked real caliper.
Measured rotor thickness. Not on minimums, but will need a new one before the next MOT.
Looked at exhaust studs and CBA. Weekend it is, if it's not raining.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked fluids again, tyre pressures and oiled some parts. Also made a note of the tyre sizes for when I get round to ordering sticky road tyres for it.

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:27 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it,then washed it...a bit...

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a spin around some roads in the North Pennines.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her for early MOT. Failed, on the front wheel (and therefore tire) being fitted wrong way round. Laughing must have been like that for 3500 miles, when I fitted tire and did fork rebuild. Will fix tomorrow, might swap a new pr4 early to save some effort, racetec has at most, a month before its too cold to use.

linuxyeti wrote:

Why do shiny newish bikes have shitty sliding front callipers, same as the triple a few pages back, same as a 1990 cbr6. They have given it floating discs. Interested to know if they are upgraded with ceramic pistons.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR4 fitted. Perfect fit bead, the little ring had both beads seated at a suprisingly low 20psi within 30 seconds. Quicker than carrying wheel to house and a fuck ton easier than getting big compressor out - recommend.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCdZcrV9/IMG-20181021-142756.jpg

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally stuck on the last couple of decals that I ordered on eBay to replace ones that were on the smashed top yoke and fuel filler cap. The gixer finally looks like the bike it used to be (to me) and it does make a difference. So I stuck in on the optimate and will take it out tomorrow to enjoy it!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Why do shiny newish bikes have shitty sliding front callipers,

Ain't broke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I started working on the VFR.

Took most of the day messing around with all the bits of the front end fairing, so I gave up and decided to try and do something easier... like get it running.... I drained 2 bike batteries and eventually hooked it up to the car, but it started and ran (for the first time properly in over 3 years).

Since it hasn't really moved in the past 3 years, both calipers were binding.... with a bit of persuasion, one of them is working as it should, the other side I've got some movement on 1 piston, but the other is flat out refusing (couldn't even use the lever as I had borrowed the MC for testing another bike).

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a spin up to Sandsend just north of Whitby, about 200 miles all in and a good scare when the back tyre hit something greasy coming out of a slow corner Shocked

200 miles on 1 tank and not hanging about Cool

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the oil, filter and coolant on my 400 and also attempted to cure the oil leak from the rubber seal on the rocker cover, which is a complete shit as it takes as much dismantling as doing the valve clearances which I only did a few months ago. Evil or Very Mad

Also found a decent solution to venting the rocker box now the airbox has gone.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1971/44562074015_41df08f92e_z.jpg
[url=tools.sportscard.trade]Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade[/url]

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the spare, unscratched exhaust can from a later f4i, with a bolt to blank off the o2 sensor hole.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the muffs on.

Bought some of that edging trim you can put around the screen, put that on the upper edges of my fairing where the muffs will rub, looks like a decent job, better than electrical tape I was contemplating.

It's hard getting used to riding with forearms restricted!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the gixer out for a short ride to work, accidentally took a detour on the way home and spent a couple of hours enjoying the sunshine. Put the grom on trickle charge so that I can take it out tomorrow!

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the jetwash out at work and blasted all the greasy oil stuff off the engine and swingarm / wheels / engine and loose dirt in prep for a proper clean and acf this weekend.

refilled and primed the scottoiler

THOUGHT i had sorted the problems with the hid kit (not turning on sometimes) this weekend when i had a poke about and the earth lead came off in my hands, but nope, it didnt come on again when i went into town at lunchtime, and worked again on the way home Mad

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
PR4 fitted. Perfect fit bead, the little ring had both beads seated at a suprisingly low 20psi within 30 seconds. Quicker than carrying wheel to house and a fuck ton easier than getting big compressor out - recommend.

I use the same ring device and used it a few times fitting new tyres. Recommendation from Marmalade Thumbs Up

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville work hack
Last week I filled, primed and painted my front fairing, I had an off last winter which smashed the front fairing to pieces, lived with it all winter with plastic welded scars and p40 filler all over the inside of it. It now looks a bit more presentable! It's not a colour match, but I didn't want to spend £60 on honda paint for a commuter hack.

Also upgraded all dash bulbs to LEDs, as half of them weren't working, I can now see my Speedo on dark mornings instead of having to wait to overtake a car so their headlights illuminate my dash.

Fitted a usb charge port in the left cubby hole and ran it back to the relay I fitted for my grips.

To do over the next few weeks or so:
*front and rear brake clean, regreasing pistons/slide pins etc.
*Oil change
*Shaft drive oil change
*Replace the heated grips with some new Oxford ones, the current ones have split slightly
*Replace the rear tyre, it's worn rather odd, it's an Avon storm 3d, but looks like it's been ran at really low pressure, the sides have worn so much that the centre is proud at the edges where it hits the softer sides. I also have a nail in it which was noticed on the MOT. Not leaking though.
*Rear wheel bearings while the rear wheel is out

Mt09

Last weekend I fitted Yamaha heated grips, they look OEM but don't get particularly hot tbh. 22W says it all, but at least they look good. Will be fine for chilly spring/autumn mornings and evenings as opposed to the depths of winter.

Yesterday I cleaned the front brakes out, greased pistons etc.

Also refitted the stock tail end, the R and G tail tidy wasn't really my thing. I prefer the OEM look. The r and g left a gap in the under tray area that allowed dirt to get inside. Annoyed the crap out of me.

To do:
Rear brake clean out
Oil and filter change
Brake fluid at some point (2yr change)
Coolant at some point (2yr change)
Sync the throttle bodies next time i have the tank off

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After changing a radiator hose and fan switch on the Kawasaki a few weeks back I couldn't remember ever having changed the coolant on the Yamaha, and in 30,000 miles I couldn't see a record of it in the service history. The manual says change every 3 years. Embarassed Well the coolant came out clean and green and no muck came out when I flushed the system with water. Refilled with blue stuff.

Lokimerry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:46 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm smart enough to go with my bike on weekends,today , i'm going to go to work.

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:41 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made room in the garage to start ripping down my new (to me) BMW 1986 K75C. Can’t wait to start getting my teeth into it to get it on the road for next summer!

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mot retest, pass with no advisories Very Happy

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I put the muffs on.

Tempted to put mine on tonight.... You get used to the lack of movement. My brother gave me a tip when I first started using them.

If you need to remove a hand to scratch your nose/lift visor/do whatever, then use your left hand....when you panic and don't get perfect re entry you'll be glad you still have control of the front brake and throttle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 322, 323, 324 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 323 of 409