Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha twin headlight mod.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Yamaha twin headlight mod. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Ive decided i want better/more headlights.
The bike (tdr125) like many other Yamahas has that weird headlight thing going on.
Its fitted with a twin headlight, each containing a H4 twin filamemt bulb.
But for some reason yamaha decided only 1 of them works on "normal" beam & only way to get both headlights on, is to switch to "Hi" beam Rolling Eyes

I dunno why they do this on some/most models..... Thinking but anyway i'd like to utilise both bulbs, at both positions, rather than blinding on coming traffic when on unlit roads (my eyesight isnt what it used to be & i need all the help i can get)
Is there a simple way to do this, by running some sort of jumper wire from 1 side to the other?
I had a look on youtube & theres a few yamaha headlight mod vids but i havnt managed to watch many (& cant find any specific to my bike) yet & wondered if anyone had any experience of this bodge, i mean modification.

The simpler the better please, my grasp of electrics, as many of you know, isnt great Very Happy

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird.

My Bandit has a similar setup, but it's only a single filament bulb on each side.

One thing to bear in mind is that the reflector / lens / whatever on the high beam side might only be set up to project a high beam, so even if you only lit up the dip filament on that side, it might still be a dazzler.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
That's weird.

My Bandit has a similar setup, but it's only a single filament bulb on each side.

One thing to bear in mind is that the reflector / lens / whatever on the high beam side might only be set up to project a high beam, so even if you only lit up the dip filament on that side, it might still be a dazzler.

Hi,
Yeah, it is a bit weird but definitely H4 bulbs in each side.
This model is sold all over europe & with different watt bulbs for different countries, maybe even with different harnesses but same headlight unit afaik.
I think mine is an import.
Anyway, this makes me think actual headlight unit & reflectors will handle it.
Ive also converted all other bulbs on the bike to led (indicators,both brake light bulbs & all the clock bulbs) so as not to put too much stress on the generator output.
I think even with 2 x 35w bulbs it would be an improvement but ideally 55/60w & i might be able to light up any trails i go down at night.

Seriously considering converting to HID's.
Seen them with slimline ballasts, 6000-8000k & with power consumption of 35w, something to look into i think.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:59 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of german tdr headlights here and they do the same as far as I can remember.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
I've got a set of german tdr headlights here and they do the same as far as I can remember.

Hi,
yeah, manual suggests most european tdrs are same, although the uk version is listed as 2 x 35w bulbs iirc, whilst euro spec bikes get 1 x 60w/55w & 1 x 55w bulb......
i want to use both H4 headlights at same time, cant be too difficult to wire up Thinking (next thread will be help my bikes on fire!)
I have a full size, colour wiring diagram if that helps anyone give me some pointers.

cheers,
GAZ

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:45 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a wiring diagram for the different types the other day. I wouldnt think it'd be too hard, but I dunno about headlight spread etc. presumably getting the headlights that do both would be preferable. I only have one sidelight in mine so presumably you want the ones with 2 sidelights?

https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamaha-motorcycle/125-MOTO/1997/TDR/TDR125/HEADLIGHT/30_3017-3017/B40/0/26081
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1