Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CE Clothing and acceptable marketing practice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: CE Clothing and acceptable marketing practice. Reply with quote

I was of the understading that you could no longer sell an item as motorcycle clothing unless it was CE rated as such. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Yesterday a n00b freind asked me what I thought of his new jacket, which he was inder the impression was a decent piece of kit. It did indeed have CE all over the inside. On closer inspection this is EN 1621 elbow ans houlder armour. The "back protector" was packing foam.

Further disassembly of the jacket revealed a tiny label declaring the jacket to not be PPE and that the manufactureres or vendor could not be held responsible for any injuries.

I was under the impression that such a garment may not be sold in a way that impled its suitability for motorcycle use. A quick look at the online stores for some large UK vendors suggests that more than half their products sold as motorcycle jackets aren't.

What gives?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading Standards office = seek their advice.
Packing foam as a back protector??
Must say it does sound a bit ‘iffy’

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the CE these days can also mean 'China Export'. It's sh*t I know.

Look on evilbay for new fabric motorcycle garments and they look like thick waterproofs - they don't look tough to me.

I'm after some used leather trousers and would rather pay lotsa money for the right thing than something fashionable..

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's quite common for jackets to have a bit of neoprene or something in the slot that will take a back protector, and come with proper elbow and shoulder proection,

the neoprene isn't supposed to be a protector it's just filling the void where the protector would go if bought separate

I usually take the neoprene out and use them to sit on when I'm hiking

Most my kevlar jeans don't have hip armour either, I've only got one pair with, and I bought them separate from the jeans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: CE Clothing and acceptable marketing practice. Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

Further disassembly of the jacket revealed a tiny label declaring the jacket to not be PPE and that the manufactureres or vendor could not be held responsible for any injuries.

What gives?

Care to show us ONE (i'll be kind here) item of bike clothing that does show any liability for injuries.....

talkToTheHat wrote:

I was of the understading that you could no longer sell an item as motorcycle clothing unless it was CE rated as such. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As ou so wish....

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thx1138]
I usually take the neoprene out and use them to sit on when I'm hiking
[/quote]

Wow, sit down hiking, now that’s my kinda excercise 🙃

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:47 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CE thing and PPE disclaimer are two seperate issues

CE is adequate for consumer use. The manufacturer is washing their hands of providing "PPE" and putting that back on the employer as far as the HSE is concerned, for those that ride for work purposes.

In all likelyhood if Mr BigCorp pays out big bucks for his motorcycle riders to be given ppe jackets, he will get the same product with the label removed, but probably with some long term care plan/replacement routine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also no new lines that arent being sold as CE are banned, retailers are allowed to clear their existing stock. So you may still see some lines, more than likely on the reduced rack

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Unfortunately the CE these days can also mean 'China Export'.

Kindly phone the fraud squad on any vendor that actually claims that. Anything that has a mark resembling the CE logo that hasn't met with the applicable standards is legally counterfeit. Similarly "it's a cheap {thing} what did you expect" is not a defence for selling counterfiet or substandard items.

Trading standards only accessible through CAB which means they might do somehting eventually maybe if they have the funding to give a crap.

And it's not an issue of banned, but whether it's lawful to sell such items as motorcycle jacket as opposed to waterproof jacket or claim a sheet of foam offers protection. I understand it to have been the intent of the law to ban items being described as for motorcycle use when they are not PPE (unless they are single-skin waterpoof oversuits, high-vis or other such single-purpose garments) rather than being able to claim that it has some bits that meet a CE standard make for an entitre garment of PPE. At such anything sold as a jacket for use on motorcycles MUST be PPE and meet standards for such.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:26 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was it bought from and how much did it cost?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1