Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Manchester congestion...er emissions charge discussed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Manchester congestion...er emissions charge discussed Reply with quote

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/drivers-could-charged-go-manchester-15243941.amp

The infrastructure is in place to implement it as there are ANPR cameras on ALL routes going in and out of Manchester city centre.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7778110.stm

Quote:
Voters reject congestion charge
Traffic on Princess Parkway, Manchester
The plan was to reduce congestion in and out of Manchester

The people of Greater Manchester have voted against plans to introduce a congestion charge in the region.

Nearly two million people were asked to decide on a peak-time road charge to open up a £2.8bn transport investment

But But But But !!!!I want to spend £9.50 on a 8.2 mile return to Manchester Victoria in a 70's Pacer! That makes Ryan Air Seating look spacious!
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the busses at Picadilly gardens bus station from sitting there for half an hour at a time with the engine running would be a start for cutting emissions!

it's noticeably bad getting off the tram to change, to the extent that I'll walk round the corner to Market st instead.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Manchester congestion...er emissions charge discussed Reply with quote

Quote:
Voters reject congestion charge

This is the type of 'Will of the People' that can be ignored.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how they've brought Manchester to a standstill with roadworks just before bringing congestion charges up again. The roadworks around the Mancunian Way are a complete joke.

I was already thinking that the lane closures and timings seem to have been planned to be as disruptive as possible...

EDIT:- Also, I have no choice but to drive to work. I tried using the trams but they don't run through the night. Not even one per hour, they just stop completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:51 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in and out of Mancistan all the time with work. Now I will have to refuse to do any jobs there now.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predicted this years ago. All the major cities will follow Londons example. Too much £££ being made for fuck
all for the other cities to ignore the earning potential. Under the guise of "improvement of air quality". If you want clean
air then don't live in a city. For now at least, there's plenty of wide open spaces in the UK that aren't full of chicken
shops, queues of buses and brimming with crime and undesirables. My next move will be further away from other people,
not closer to or worse still among them.

Omega wrote:
EDIT:- Also, I have no choice but to drive to work. I tried using the trams but they don't run through the night. Not even one per hour, they just stop completely.

Assuming these trams have a driver and aren't automated. Would you be happy alone driving one through the night
with nothing but pissed up violent and rowdy passengers who have been out on the lash kicking off left right and centre?
I did a week of shifts on the night bus when I was a driver (Nightbus pay was better, shifts were shorter) but you had to
volunteer. Was like driving a mobile punch up with extra vomiting and verbal abuse. 3 fights on the bus in a week. Had
to have engineers bring me out a clean bus twice that week because of vomit on the stairs one night, and piss on them the
next time. Bodily fluids on stairs will automatically take a bus out of service because of the slip/fall danger. If they are sick
anywhere else, you turn the seat base over or remove it so someone can't sit right near the puke and you keep driving.
In a sick smelling bus. Then just to add to the pleasantness half the passengers getting on then kick off at you like you
were the one that was sick. What kind of dirty bastard pisses on the stairs in a bus??? That's the calibre of the
nightbus paying public right there. Every other passenger has had a skinful and every other one of the drunks
want to have a row, take the mick somehow or start problems with other passengers. TBH everything that's
wrong with the job, day and night is largely due to the behaviour or attitude of the public.

I didn't put my name down for a second lot of shifts. And nowadays you couldn't pay me enough to start driving
again. Its got to be far worse than it was 20+ years ago in this age of entitlement and acid attacks. Especially in London.

Last edited by grr666 on 22:03 - 11 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. I'd happily drive a tram all night but passenger security is pathetic at the best of times. Probably not a good idea to make public transport available to vulnerable people when they might be alone.

I took the 25 mile route to work tonight instead of the direct 12 mile option. At least I wasn't sat rocking on the Mancunian Way for 30 minutes. Roll on the end of the month when I start my new job that's a 20 minute walk from home.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:03 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Stop the busses at Picadilly gardens bus station from sitting there for half an hour at a time with the engine running would be a start for cutting emissions!

Quote:
"Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988,"

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And - specifically targetted buses in the past by Camden: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15966254 .

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

Quote:
"Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988,"

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And - specifically targetted buses in the past by Camden: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15966254 .

Who will enforce it? I made a post a few weeks ago. Greater Manchester has one dedicated traffic police officer for the entire area.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:03 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council? As they have done in Camden.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really pisses me off about the whole pollution thing in London is that about 60% of all the pollution is marine and aviation sourced, if fucks were really given about air quality they'd shut the city airport and stick a big sign in the Thames estuary saying "Sail boats only".

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:38 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester council have been planning for it since it was last rejected, I worked for them around 6 years ago and it was in the works then.

The council have changed all the layouts around the city centre to create car congestion while giving extra space for (private) public transport(bus/tram).

Stagecoach run most buses south of the city and first buses in the north, there is no alternative, creating a monopoly where bus/tram prices keep going up and the conditions/waiting times go down.
Now Stagecoach have invested in a roll out of electric buses things are only going to get worse for drivers/riders and fares will go up.

What we need is fair competition and (private)public transport would improve.

As far as pollution goes, a congestion charge will not stop that, how about planes and boats as the Andy said and create 0% loans for for green energy, which in turn will stop the farce of utility companies charging the public different rates for the same product.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1