Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing sprocket size - CG 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Changing sprocket size - CG 125 Reply with quote

Evening all

I am considering putting the 900 into hibernation for the winter and getting myself a cheap commuter instead.

Ideally I would look at a cb500 or similar however a cg 125 is the winner at the moment as the missus can whack L plates on it.

My question is this:

Having always run standard sprockets on all of my bikes, would dropping the rear down a few teeth AND raising the front by a few make for a better top speed?

Having never done it I only have a basic understanding of how to change ratios etc.

Would this be too drastic of a change? Im not expecting a 150mph cg here, just one that will reach 70 comfortably without screaming the life out of it.

Thanks in advance!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial feeling: leave it as it is, go "flat out" and change the oil more often.

Next feeling: If you're going to change the sprockets, add 1 to the gearbox sprocket (if that's possible) and keep the (new) rear the same, from an engineering point of view.

Another: It might achieve a slightly higher top speed, depending on whether there's any limit apart from power available.

Last: Buy something else that's a 125 but has a higher top speed as standard. Consider an RS3. Smile Wink

Edit: Wat is this about people wanting to tune CG125s? Just buy it and use it, just as it is. Maybe *still* change the oil more frequently, and oil other bits too as routine maintenance.

Re-edit: If Mr Honda wanted his CG125 to do 70 by having differently-sized sprockets, he would've made it like that.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:36 - 09 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""" just one that will reach 70 comfortably without screaming the life out of it. """"
If you get one that does 65 comfortably let me know.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it!

Unleash the CGs power!
Get more miles to the gallon
A new head of hair
Lose pounds of unsightly fat
and save save save!

What could possibly go wrong?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:01 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Top speed is a function of power, not gearing.
Raise the gearing on a CG that much, it will likely just top-out at the exact same speed it does now... about 60-65 in favorable conditions.. just in 2nd or 3rd gear... and struggle to accelerate like you had pulled away in 2nd or 3rd gear!

On L-Plates.... you are limited to 15bhp. That allows about 70-75mph, again in favorable conditions. This is the preserve of the 'premium' 125's like the CBR125 or such, and even there not all will achieve them speeds that often, depending on their style. It's not in the perview of anything much that has air-cooling and just one cylinder, and certainly not anything with push-rods!

Learn to live with it... the low-power begging you work that much harder to get what little they may offer, CAN be 99% of the fun, meanwhile you can enjoy the ecconomy....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:02 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Initial feeling: leave it as it is, go "flat out" and change the oil more often.

Next feeling: If you're going to change the sprockets, add 1 to the gearbox sprocket (if that's possible) and keep the (new) rear the same, from an engineering point of view.

Another: It might achieve a slightly higher top speed, depending on whether there's any limit apart from power available.

Last: Buy something else that's a 125 but has a higher top speed as standard. Consider an RS3. Smile Wink

Edit: Wat is this about people wanting to tune CG125s? Just buy it and use it, just as it is. Maybe *still* change the oil more frequently, and oil other bits too as routine maintenance.

Re-edit: If Mr Honda wanted his CG125 to do 70 by having differently-sized sprockets, he would've made it like that.

Well said - especially the last re edit above - except I'd say leave the sprockets standard. I reckon you'll find that taking gearbox sprocket up one will make it horribly over geared and will stop it reaching its normal top speed in top gear, except down hill with a tail wind. My CG is low mileage, in tip top nick and all properly adjusted and although it will run along happily for fifty miles at 60 mph on the flat, if I come to a big hill, it won't sustain itself with my twelve stone carcase on the seat. Same into a moderate headwind. It sometimes slows to 50 wide open throttle into a decent headwind, so gearing it up will make it slower for sure unless the rider is an eight stone pixie in aerodynamic clothing.

I wouldn't advocate going the other way either with the gearing. when I got mine it had been owned by a great big fireman who used to take is wife on the back (whom he described as 'a big lass'. Might have worked for them, but for me the thing was really short geared. I put it back to standard and it was much nicer to ride. If you need a lower gear than top on a hill or into the wind - just drop a cog and let it rev. It will be fine. You really don't need to change the overall gear ratio; it has loads of low ratios - gears one to four.

Last edited by BusterGonads on 23:16 - 10 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:14 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Learn to live with it... the low-power begging you work that much harder to get what little they may offer, CAN be 99% of the fun, meanwhile you can enjoy the ecconomy....

They are laughably economical.

I'm nearly at 4000 miles on mine since May 3rd when I bought it. After I sorted out some wrinkles, the bike had when purchased, I started measuring the fuel consumption carefully. Every drop of petrol it has had since I got it is logged. With a mixture of pretty much full throttle forty mile trips at 60 mph and tootling about the back roads at 40 or 45, the bike delivered a consistent 118 miles to the gallon. The last three tank fulls I've been doing longish trips at 40 - 45 on little back roads and none of the full throttle A road stuff. Riding gently, it has delivered 600 miles on three fill ups at 136, 129 and 132mpg. Not bad for an 18 year old, carburreted 125.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:26 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Changing sprocket size - CG 125 Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
Im not expecting a 150mph cg here, just one that will reach 70 comfortably without screaming the life out of it.

That isn't going to happen. The top speed you'll get on the flat is about 63 indicated. I have seen 70 on mine twice when I had a strong tail wind. A bit too frisky at speed mind you..... The bike isn't designed for that and you'll feel it as it follows tar snakes and road unevenness more and more as the speed rises over sixty.

The bike is shod with 3 inch back tyres and 2.5 inch front and this is a big reason why it is not stable at high speeds.

Long hills will see you dropping to 55 - 58 and dropping to fourth gear and 8000 revs to keep that. Same with headwinds.

Love it for what it is: a willing and economical little commuter bike that will be as reliable as the day is long as long as you do your part and change the oil every thousand miles and do the tappets every 2500. Simple servicing and long chain life if you have the fully enclosing chain guard.

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:33 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Thanks for replies! Reply with quote

Cheers everyone for their advice

It would seem that (not for the first time) my limited knowledge has led me astray! I had hoped changing the ratios might achieve the desired results but oh well!

I would rather ask on here first and learn something new than go out and buy one and be disappointed with the end result aha.

Might just convince the other half to do her full test, then can buy something with decent power I can commute on and she can have at the weekends!

Until the next silly question, cheers!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still say gear it up a tooth on the front..maybe 2 if the engine is a good one that like to rev. Early jap CG's generally had a bigger carb and less restrictive exhaust and could rev untill the valve gear couldnt keep up...I dont know about the newer types but the CG is geared a little on the low side so you can carry a family of 5 up a mountain with no issues! worst case if you have reached top speed of 60-70mph in 4th then at least when you have a tail wind or down hill stretch then you can use 5th as your overdrive .....I regularly would hit an indicated 80-85mph down hill but still be the same speed up them. It's not like a CG has a narrow powerband or widely spaced gears anyhow. For the sake of £5 give it a shot.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:50 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Thanks for replies! Reply with quote

MisterPrice1000 wrote:
Might just convince the other half to do her full test, then can buy something with decent power I can commute on and she can have at the weekends!

There's a possible double whammy in there; if you sell the notion of a DAS course to her as being for her safety.. cos you dont want her mangled, loik.... and doing the lessons before being let loose on the road to learn by mistake, SHOULD mean less and far less severe mistakes.... sell it as a 'Safety' thing.... THEN, you can get her a 500 or something instead of a CG, which would be more your ideal commuter anyway.

There's also a cost argument; the 125 Super-Dream costs aprox 50% more a year to insure 'like for like' than my CB750, which in term is about 20-30% more a year to insure than Snowies Bludi-Guzzi 750, on more restrictive miles and use cover... the extra tax DOES eat up that saving... b-u-t, the bigger bikes needn't be any more expensive to run all-in, and may be a tad cheaper to offset the training, that buys you 'safety'.... the bigger bikes with more mass and more and more flexible power can also be 'easier' to ride to boot...

Go talk to some schools; book a CBT and see if you can do a 'deal' to let her try a 500 DAS bike at the end, if she takes to it.... that taster alone is oft enough to convince some-one of the merits of the bigger bike.

THEN go ponder bikes for sale.... the O/H's ideas may make a 125 of any sort rather redundant IF she don't like this biking lark at all.... especially if she does CBT this time of year in the wet and miserable.... OR could make the 125 idea redundant as she wants to do DAS and get a Harley-R1-Ninja-Blade.. Or or or... perms are endless... but UNTIL that area of uncertainty sort of clarified a bit, almost ANY bike bought to try and meet the assumed feelings and wishes of a committee... is gonna be an expensive camel, that proves to fulfil few feelings needs or wishes of any-one!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1