Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Running on two cylinders...why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

So, heres the story:
97' Xj600n bought working reasonably well as a project to get tidied up.took off tank, fuel pump and carbs to replace pump and fit restrictor plates in the inlet rubbers. Fit new spark plugs and put it all back together.Won't start unless choke is on, keeps backfiring when turning over, only left two cylinders running. Try to retrace my steps and figure out what wasnt right. All plugs get a spark and all have... reasonable... compression and fuel flow. Decided to swap the ignition leads over and now it has started running on the other two cylinders only (right side).I can rule out cylinders 3+4 being buggered or the carbs being blocked as now it runs on only those cylinders but thats as far as i get.

Still not sure of the problem or how to fix it but swapping the leads means it can idle without choke and seems to run better.

How do i go about finding the problem or is it just in need of new ignition coils or something? Am i missing something obvious or should i just replace the ignition coils and leads and just see if it makes a difference. '
Thanks very much.

-- will be out for next 20 or so min so i apologise for not answering immediately--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you swapped the leads on the side that doesn't work by mistake? Swap just those two leads over.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Decided to swap the ignition leads over and now it has started running on the other two cylinders only (right side).I can rule out cylinders 3+4 being buggered or the carbs being blocked as now it runs on only those cylinders but thats as far as i get.

Still not sure of the problem or how to fix it

Seems you have answered your own question..... Shocked

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is a cruiser, runs great on two cylinders.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one of the coils under the tank, they aren't cheap but most owners can replace them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
adengtg wrote:
Decided to swap the ignition leads over and now it has started running on the other two cylinders only (right side).I can rule out cylinders 3+4 being buggered or the carbs being blocked as now it runs on only those cylinders but thats as far as i get.

Still not sure of the problem or how to fix it

Seems you have answered your own question..... Shocked

I did it. i fixed it. i took it down a short private road near me... i am speechless. How easy it is to do a u turn compared to my 125 is ridiculous. i didnt even go 50% throttle and i was fucking flying. i didnt go more than 30 but it just gets there so smoothly and quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:25 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

I did it. i fixed it. i took it down a short private road near me... i am speechless. How easy it is to do a u turn compared to my 125 is ridiculous. i didnt even go 50% throttle and i was fucking flying. i didnt go more than 30 but it just gets there so smoothly and quickly.

Don't keep us in suspense. Tell us how you fucked up.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Didnt, kept it under 40 which is the speed limit on the # empty road i used.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:48 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

How does keeping it below 40 ensure that all 4 cylinders fire?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
adengtg wrote:
[

How does keeping it below 40 ensure that all 4 cylinders fire?[/quote]
You tell me

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Running on two cylinders...why? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How does keeping it below 40 ensure that all 4 cylinders fire?

You tell me

Enjoy keeping it below 40 then.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg I think Nobby the bastard was asking how did you fuck up swapping the leads over in the first place! IE maybe he thinks in future doing 1 plug change at a time might save doing the same mistake next time....or numbering the leads before you remove them so you know they are in the right order when you refit them.....OR he's just being a sarcastic bastard, as is expected on BCF Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1