Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB125T contact breaker plate screws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ajb235
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: CB125T contact breaker plate screws Reply with quote

The 5 screws holding the contact breakers onto the backplate are seriously damaged as a result of many adjustments. The screws are 3.75 mm diameter. I would like to replace with cap screws but what size is this? Is it a special Honda size/ thread?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a nut that fits the screws!
If you're lucky they might be M4, if you're unlucky you will have to buy new ones.
Do you know anyone who's got a thread gauge?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda! metric! maybe metric fine thread?
Why not take them to a hardware/ ironmongers shop ?
They should have a thread gauge.
You may have to buy a nut if they are too long so as to chop off and unwind the nut.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% on the right model , but when it's a Honda it's a slice of urine to get part numbers and prices....

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb125t-england_model16528/partslist/E10.html#.W8BLFFLasW8
CMSNL wrote:
SCREW,CROSS,5X12
product number: 93500050120A

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_93500050120A/
72p plus post

EDIT: and make sure if it's a JIS screw (one little dot punched in the head) it'll get chewed up with a philips screwdriver, so invest in the correct screwdrivers... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megadora-2x100-2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B071SGNCSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539329066&sr=8-3&keywords=jis+screwdriver

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember when working on my CB125T2 the screws are a combination of cross head and blade screwdriver type.

But they are still as soft as cheese and more often than not done up far too tight.... Rolling Eyes

Always have a 'Plan B'

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: cmsnl Reply with quote

Ain't cmsnl brilliant !!!!!!!

Shows side and length but not pitch, but still you have now narrowed down your search. Take the screw with you to a hard ware store, you now how to use a hack saw and file etc.... ?

ps Thread a nut down the screw ( 3 would be better if they fit, or use 2 to hold screw in vice your easy sawing ) before you saw it to length, to help clean the thread after sawing and filing.......have fun whilst learning.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: cmsnl Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Are you sponsored or something?

Rolling Eyes

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: cmsnl Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Shows side and length but not pitch, but still you have now narrowed down your search. Take the screw with you to a hard ware store, you now how to use a hack saw and file etc.... ?

ps Thread a nut down the screw ( 3 would be better if they fit, or use 2 to hold screw in vice your easy sawing ) before you saw it to length, to help clean the thread after sawing and filing.......have fun whilst learning.

Quote:
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_93500050120A/
72p plus post

All that sodding about to save 72p plus post? I know where the smart money goes... Whistle

ajb235
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Contact breaker plate screws Reply with quote

Yes the CMS NL drawings and parts list is very useful. Following the links to CMS gives me the 3 off M5x12 outer plate clamping screws , thanks.
But the 5 screws that hold the contact breakers onto the plate are shown, but not listed.
I'm tempted to tap out the existing 3.75 mm holes to 4mm, and use a capscrew, but there's always a danger of thread pitch mismatch and completely scrapping the plate when this is done.
The search continues....

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: screws Reply with quote

dead video's or printers or computers, stuff like this literally litters the planet ffs!!

cmsnl is a free wonderful resource, you don't even need to know how to read.#

Di I work for them ? no, but would if asked.

Shame you don't look for a new output shaft on there.....but i know, needs must.

If i need to find out summut, i first look on cmsnl.....the pictures tell good stories.

ajb235
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Screws Reply with quote

Solved my own problem. The existing 5 screws holding the contact breakers to the backplate are 3.75mm dia.x 0.7mm pitch. The cap screws I want to use are 4 mm dia x0.7mm pitch. I used a 4mm x0.7 mm pitch tap to open up the threaded holes, and fitted the 4.0mm cap screws. Make sure you get the length right, 7mm, and use a washer and Spring washer. Simples. Hope this helps other CB125T owners with damaged screws.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1