BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hornet 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Hornet 600 Reply with quote

In an attempt to avoid the attention of the teens of Tottenham, I've switched my commuting machine from my highly desired SH300 to a Hornet. A 2009 ABS model in blue with aftermarket debaffled end can, and a fairly substantial screen.

I'd post a photo but I haven't taken one. This is not a machine I'm in love with, for calculated reasons.

Gearbox is a little bit dodgy (30k miles), steering head bearings are just about detectably groovy when filtering slowly, but apart from that it's fine. Fine.

But wow is it a dull motor. The Brutale has 50% more torque, but it feels like 3x. I'm back to the clutch-slipping revving launches I'd do on my ER6f, and it sounds quite aggressive with the exhaust, but it's the only way I can get it to move meaningfully off the line. It's so underpowered before you get to the brief bit of go at the very end of the rev range. It's hard to shift out of second in town or you're afraid you'll have no go when you need it. I swear, I think my scooter accelerates faster at 20mph than the Hornet does in 3rd.

I'm hoping the dullness means I won't be chased through Tottenham for some time yet. Time will tell.

(On torque: I believe the Hornet tops out at 60mph in 1st. The Brutale hits the limiter closer to 45mph, and the front pops up if you rush too much. If I have the bike long enough to get chain and sprockets, I might be playing with the ratios.)

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:53 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my gen 1 hornet, -1 on the front sprocket improved things dramatically. From what I remember, no decrease in top end either, just overgeared as standard.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:33 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 of the 2010 models in work, one is a sedate nice and easy to ride bike, the other has been tweaked by the previous owner and it is a bag of fun, We have no idea what he has done to the engine but he's definitely tuned it and squeezed more power and grunt out of it.

Personally I preferred the older model, it was far more fun and more agile. But they are solid and reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1st gen Hornet as my first bike. Was loads of fun when you wringed it's neck, was pretty light and nimble too. Kinda wish I kept it as travelling through Bristol rush hour a few times a week on either the Fireblade or Blackbird is a little tiresome.

Sound like Honda and EU rules made it less fun that it previously was.

Comparing it to an Italian exotic like the MV is a little far fetched though...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware there was that much difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, but my Gen 1 is anything but boring, (though i can't compare it anything as exotic as an MV)

Having essentially a CBR600 engine in it (with different cams i believe) it does like to be revved, and all the power is at the top end, but for a 600cc engine to have close to 100 bhp (for a 10+ year old bike), it's to be expected really

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:20 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there's something wrong with it my 2002 hornet isn't dull or slow off the line and it's currently on 46k miles.

When was it last serviced?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped from a 600ZZR which would pull like any thing in any gear to a 2001 Hornet

Took a little while to get used to it as there's not much torque low down, but it will accelerate in 2nd happily, just ride it like it's a 125cc and give it some revs while you get the feel of how it responds, it can be a bit grumpy at low revs and I presume yours will be similar.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2002 FS Hornet, didn't really like it and probably only had it a month, was lively at higher RPM's for sure though.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it's lively enough once I'm going 40+mph and in a low enough gear for it to scream while it's at it. It's almost dangerous at traffic "nipping into gaps" speed though. I haven't had what I'd call scary moments so far, but I've certainly had "that could have been easier" moments.

It's true that it's unfair to compare it to the MV. The MV is just so fucking good. It's kind of nice to have them side by side so I can appreciate it more.

Riding it like a 125 with piles of clutch slippage seems to be the way to go until I get to play with the gearing.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Hornet 600 Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
In an attempt to avoid the attention of the teens of Tottenham, I've switched my commuting machine from my highly desired SH300 to a Hornet. A 2009 ABS model in blue with aftermarket debaffled end can, and a fairly substantial screen.

I'd post a photo but I haven't taken one. This is not a machine I'm in love with, for calculated reasons.

Gearbox is a little bit dodgy (30k miles), steering head bearings are just about detectably groovy when filtering slowly, but apart from that it's fine. Fine.

But wow is it a dull motor. The Brutale has 50% more torque, but it feels like 3x. I'm back to the clutch-slipping revving launches I'd do on my ER6f, and it sounds quite aggressive with the exhaust, but it's the only way I can get it to move meaningfully off the line. It's so underpowered before you get to the brief bit of go at the very end of the rev range. It's hard to shift out of second in town or you're afraid you'll have no go when you need it. I swear, I think my scooter accelerates faster at 20mph than the Hornet does in 3rd.

I'm hoping the dullness means I won't be chased through Tottenham for some time yet. Time will tell.

(On torque: I believe the Hornet tops out at 60mph in 1st. The Brutale hits the limiter closer to 45mph, and the front pops up if you rush too much. If I have the bike long enough to get chain and sprockets, I might be playing with the ratios.)

I had a CBR600f for 9 years, similar engine/power delivery and you are right in that it is a bit limp low down. However, on the boil on a nice road keeping it above 8k and using all of the the gears is imo one of the most enjoyable ways of riding.

The same gutless low range does get a bit testing on a commute though. 30mph in 3rd gear you aren't going to have any roll on power, so keep it in 2nd or use the gearbox. Getting away from the lights use more revs and slip the clutch more, ridden hard mine would lift the front (e.g. away from the M4 toll booth drag strip on the severn bridge), but you aren't going to do that if you pull away and stop slipping the clutch at 4krpm.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:32 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 09 ABS Hornet too and rode an ER6N for few weeks as a replacement bike and yeah that made me realise it's pretty weak in the low revs. Never had too many issues in traffic but the ER6N definitely had the pull where you wanted it for city traffic.

I fitted an aftermarket exhaust with no baffle eventually and it made it a lot worse in the low rev range.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snicking through the gearbox and keeping it in the blue powerband is where all the fun lies, aka rider involvement.

Imagine no gears and you're either on a scooter or electric bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1