Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:34 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
'A precise study could provide interesting results/findings.'

Interestingly, a bloke on Youtube managed to get platinum from road dirt. Nothing to do with brake fluid on pads but just thought I'd mention it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GPWJPLcHg

A local garage here burns spilt fluid off brake pads using oxy acetylene (gently)

I saw dat.

Noble Elements from Cats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum

In India there are children who slip down sewers and collect the sediments to be table-panned by folk higher up in the chain who then sell to higher ups who smelt then sell to even higher ups who sell it to.... and so on.
That is why Indian gold is shit. Smile
(99.999% AU is still gold)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93pfNmQ85PM

The Pikeys that used to drive around the Beverley area in their Tranny Pick-Up would lift anything ferrous or non-ferrous if you left it out for them. Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but for most of that video he looks like he's rattling one off Shocked

On a serious note I explore old mines, culverts and drains and that video has me gagging for some reason. It's a job I suppose but I hope he gets paid sh*t loads.

Chrisjlm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:11 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
Just start from the beginning. Watch YouTube videos and read some guides on how to bleed brakes.

Thanks for all the replies I honestly wasn’t expecting many people to take the time to help.

I followed your instructions almost entirely, I took apart, cleaned reassembled. Then got a brake bleeder with one way valve, watched several tutorials on how to use it properly.

When it came to doing it I set it up and initially it seemed to be working until about 10 pumps in; no more fluid would come out. I pumped the brake at least a hundred times and nothing came out.

Before you ask l, yes I filled it up with fluid first lol.

At this point I’m ready to admit defeat and somehow try and get the money to have it done properly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisjlm wrote:
bacon wrote:
Just start from the beginning. Watch YouTube videos and read some guides on how to bleed brakes.

Thanks for all the replies I honestly wasn’t expecting many people to take the time to help.

I followed your instructions almost entirely, I took apart, cleaned reassembled. Then got a brake bleeder with one way valve, watched several tutorials on how to use it properly.

When it came to doing it I set it up and initially it seemed to be working until about 10 pumps in; no more fluid would come out. I pumped the brake at least a hundred times and nothing came out.

At this point I’m ready to admit defeat and somehow try and get the money to have it done properly.

Persevere.
Bile brakes can be a cnut to bleed.
There is only a tiny amount of fluid displaced by the master cylinder piston to move the comparatively large caliper piston/s.

I normally bleed the first connection where the hose connects to the master cylinder. Get all the air out of that first. Close the bleed valve/or banjo.
Then do the caliper.

Some folk prefer to reverse bleed. But you need a big syringe or other tool to do that.

A pressure bleeder is the dogs for brake bleeding. I have one from gunson. A bit of a faph to find a cap but I just buy a spare and modificate to suit.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bleeding the master cylinder, with a rag and a spanner over the banjo. Pump the lever a few times to try and build up pressure, then crack the banjo quickly and do it back up again. Do it a few times if necessary.

Then try bleeding the caliper again like before. It's just a matter of getting air out. Air will rise etc.

Reserve bleeding is an effective method, you need a large syringe to push the fluid into the system from the caliper, until you see it in the fluid reservoir. Then bleed the master cylinder and caliper like the normal method. Except it shouldn't need a lot after the reverse bleed.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisjlm wrote:
bacon wrote:

Did you fill the reservoir then put the lid on? 10 pumps might just have emptied the reservoir - you have to keep topping it up.

If you were filling the reservoir then you're just having a bit of a time getting the air out. Remove the banjo off the rear caliper and pinch it with your fingers across the sides. Now pump the air out of the system by pressing the pedal with your fingers not pinched and letting it up whilst pinching over the banjo holes. Keep doing that until you can pump oil past your fingers no matter how hard you pinch the pipe, then quickly put the banjo bolt back on and bleed the brake normally.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: fluid Reply with quote

With the reservoir full ( well nearly full as a slight handle bar movement can cause fluid to splash on the tank etc, fluid being a wonderful paint stripper, usually ) and the system connected, did you see tiny air bubbles coming up thru the tiny hole in the bottom of the reservoir floor?

Not the large hole nearest the lever but the tiny hole nearer the pipe end, which may be covered by a tin plate or similar ??

If this is blocked then bleeding can be very troublesome.

If the fluid will syphon or drain out of the resevoir down the pipe to the caliper and drain thru the bleed nipple ( ASSUMING ITS NOT BLOCKED ) then the tiny hole will be ok, but may be slightly blocked.

If the caliper piston is pushed home into the caliper the tiny hole should allow fluid to be forced from the caliper piston chamber up to the reservoir thru the tiny hole.

Does this happen ?

Be aware that initial bleeding of an empty system can cause the new fluid to become "AIRATED", just like a AERO CHOC BAR ( peppermint being my favourite, uuuuummmmmmmmmmm ) .

Time is needed for the tiny tiny air bubbles to "clear" rather than pumping them into the caliper piston space and then out thru the valve.

Do your initial bleed via the syphon or drain down method first keeping the fluid level in the reservoir topped up till all fluid bubbles have gone thru the system.

Them use the pumping/nipple manipulation method.

Nipple closed, pump up brake lever say 5 times fully releasing the lever each time, then hold lever.

Undo the nipple and watch fluid flow untill lever is handlebar bound, do up nipple.

let go of lever and let master cylinder volume refill.

Repeat till no more air bubbles appear thru nipple or reservoire holes and brakes are hard and not squiggy.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back filling with a syringe is the best thing since top filling the reservoir and bleeding.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Back filling with a syringe is the best thing since top filling the reservoir and bleeding.

I had a good deal of joy on a caliper that the bleed nipple had sheared off in by popping out the piston, filling up the caliper to overflowing, then pushing the piston back in carefully so as not to trap air. Job done!

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: nipple Reply with quote

try the mig method to remove a sheared off bleed nipple....

Chrisjlm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick update

Bleeding the master cylinder did the trick, rear brakes are almost fine.
Problem now is fluid leaking from the front Caliper, I bled the front m/c which got fluid coming through the tube with a shit load of air as expected. But I’ve stopped bleeding the front as more fluid is leaking out the Caliper then is coming out the tube.

I’d swear it wasn’t coming from the piston seals but from the seam where the two sides of the Caliper meet, but could be wrong.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisjlm wrote:

I’d swear it wasn’t coming from the piston seals but from the seam where the two sides of the Caliper meet, but could be wrong.

Did you split the two sides of the caliper at all? From your description earlier it sounded like you did, but it wasn't clear.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisjlm wrote:
Ok quick update

Bleeding the master cylinder did the trick, rear brakes are almost fine.
Problem now is fluid leaking from the front Caliper, I bled the front m/c which got fluid coming through the tube with a shit load of air as expected. But I’ve stopped bleeding the front as more fluid is leaking out the Caliper then is coming out the tube.

P i c t u r e s !

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 2 halves were split apart or loosened off too much it may be that the seal was able to move out of place.

If this happened, it could have fallen out completely or it may have slipped out of place (in which case it's probably partially crushed).

Buy a new caliper joining seal, and refit it, ensuring it doesn't move when joining the caliper halves.

Then try bleeding again Smile you'll get there!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2