BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shed/garage alarm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since murder is premeditated, it can't apply here. Manslaughter at worst.

GPZ-Bob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is fucking mental tbh. I don't get how anyone injured during a burglary can possibly be seen as a victim...I could maybe see the laws point if you held them for an extended period for torture or moved the body and tried to cover it up, but Killing some arsehole that's having a go should not be a crime. It's the natural order.

I've thought about this a few times and I can see two options, other than maximum force.

1) watch like a nob and hope police respond in time...

2) go in half arsed and get injured or killed yourself?

I'm a very small guy and carrying some real injuries. If I'm to stand a chance, any physical confrontation needs to be very quick and preferably with the element of surprise and a very effective weapon. I just don't see how it's at all fair to say I can't use a weapon to even the odds if me or my property is under threat, and I don't see any way to make sure the idiot in question doesn't die if I hit him with a hammer or something.

I'm basically being told I can't use lethal force and yet if I don't, I'm likely to be the one that's dead.

Bet if I broke into number 10 the rules would be different.

GPZ-Bob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must feel more strongly about this issue than I realised Embarassed

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to get so worked up about it all IMO. It'll probably never happen to most people, and there's always the chance that someone else has raised the alarm to the police having seen someone or ones snooping around.

If you wake to being robbed, then you have a choice to make. Call the law and hope they turn up pronto, or go out and confront the thieves. They'll often run from being disturbed and yif they havnt nicked anything, your not going to chase them down and stab them in the back if your a stable human.

They might not run if mob handed and or they have weapons, again the choice is either confront or run back inside and lock the door. Its your duty to keep you and your family safe, and most often that means doing nothing in the above situation.

If thieves are in your home and have threatened or hurt your family then you do whatever you can/want and protect them until your laying out cold.

In an ideal world I'd not ever want to kill a burglar, it's messy and leaves you in a sticky position or worse as a convicted murderer that in court/prison is no better than those that do it for a living.

If you are to confront or chase thieves off your property, you'd want to disarm, disable and detain them if possible. Some violence will ensue but it doesn't purposely need to be lethal. If if goes wrong, well again no point in moaning or raging that you hurt a poor victim etc, it's best to try and deal with it and squirm, wriggle and lie to get away with it. If that means commuting further crimes such as arson, kidnap or deliberately trying to cover your tracks then do it.

I'd say anything or do anything to get away with a crime I'd committed that I thought would land me in prison, but I'd prefer not to put myself in that position in the first place if I had another option or was savvy enough to act in a way that didn't mean I could be classed as a serious criminal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these three years ago it still works perfectly.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-GSM-Alarm-Burglar-Alarms-Home-Best-Security-System-Autodial-DIY-Install/291178166405?epid=1288624078&hash=item43cb923885

Cheap sim card and it performs all the phone functions. If you wire the siren up it is damn loud i found the box is loud enough on its own.

Sensor works down in my shed which is 25m from the box in the house. It chirps to let you know when any of the sensors are low on battery. A box of Duracell (10) 9v batteries runs three of the PIR sensors for two years.

I haven't tried any of the other window locks that came with it as i don't have any windows to put them on.

I was surprised how go it works and lasts for the price i paid for it.

Also the fobs work well for aiming and disarming.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:45 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I ended up buying that tiwee system in the end with a PIR sensor, will install over the weekend and give it a whirl

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:45 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myvision - That system looks interesting, but requires mains power doesn't it?

I went for this a few months ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Detector-KERUI-Wireless-Doorbell/dp/B07589NL62/ref=pd_sbs_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07589NL62&pd_rd_r=8e53c1a0-c93a-11e8-b7f3-f5a6570ad349&pd_rd_w=3IFmI&pd_rd_wg=DCkdC&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=FJNYME3F078PASH70GF7&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FJNYME3F078PASH70GF7

It's a similar system to the one the OP has gone for. Good value for money, and the key fob is radio operated so doesn't have to be in sight of the alarm to communicate with it. Ultimately though it wouldn't take much to shut these kind of alarms up quite quickly, but for the money and lack of mains power they are surely better than nothing.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a shed or garage, but I've always figured I'd make my own alarm system using a simple, well hidden, push-to-break switch triggered by the door opening. It's about as simple as circuits get and seems pretty fool proof as long as the wires/siren etc are well hidden and out of reach.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Since murder is premeditated, it can't apply here. Manslaughter at worst.

Actually, having discused your intention to do so, the right kind of weapon and the circumstances in which you can get away with it on a public forum it looks a hell of a lot like premeditation.

As an aside there is talk of making trespass a criminal (rather than civil) offence. I'm not sure it will make a difference unless you're a tory trying to remove a fracking protest from your estate

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:13 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d get an Ed 209, if they were available...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2