Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike thieves getting ridiculous now

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Bike thieves getting ridiculous now Reply with quote

I was leaving work the other day and saw some moped theives pull into the bike park and sit next to my 600RR Rolling Eyes I proceeded to walk past them not making them aware that it was my bike. I walked round the corner and was going to wait for them to start with the angle grinder but I heard their moped move, so I walked back around and saw them target a different bike (maybe all my locks put them off thank god) anyway I ended up shouting at them to leave it etc and almost getting mowed down by the moped and getting my head taken off with a hammer! scary stuff, all happened in a bike park inside a hospital. But hey at least the random guys bike didn't get stolen so I guess its a win there.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realise many have no choice as they use them for transport to work, but FUCK leaving a bike parked anywhere
you don't own or in plain view. The Police have basically been on strike since their budgets were cut in 2012, they
can't strike as such, so they reduce their visibility by being all over "offence" crime instead. I'm not putting the
boot into the rank and file here. They have to do what they are told by the bigwigs. But arseholes like that Cressida
Dick have them chasing shadows and offensive material on the internet, wearing high heels, wearing bear
costumes and getting their nails painted to demonstrate solidarity with various hard luck issues. It's stupid PC bollocks
and the coppers on the ground know it. But what choice do they have? Speaking out against any part of the current wave
of Liberal causes and you are finished on the force. So they grin and bear it.

Everyone has noticed how few Police you see these days. Scumbags can see this too, which of course escalates
their activities. The idea is if the old bill sit on their hands a bit and let everything go to shit around them, the lack
of funding will be blamed. The goal being securing more from Central Government because chaos then they start
doing their jobs properly and start banging heads again. CPS needs a massive kick up its liberal arse too. Because
when the fuzz do get some of the low hanging fruit in front of the beak, the punishments are pathetic or worse
still, they just set them free again. They aren't off the streets for more than a day or two while they attend court and
get fines they don't pay. Remote prisons on small uninhabited islands around the country are the answer, because
obviously nobody wants a brand new prison in their back yard.

No visitors, no playstations, no contact with outside world until their full and appropriate sentence is served. Boat ride in
and out. But that will never happen with any of the current shower of shite we have to choose from. Frankly, nobody has
the balls to do it. OP if I were you, I'd take the bus for a few weeks.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:02 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike thieves getting ridiculous now Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
at least the random guys bike didn't get stolen so I guess its a win there.

They came back later to steal the bike.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part and parcel

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police were out in force on the bridges over the A5 in MK yesterday. I counted at least 10 with 2 holding radar guns. Evil or Very Mad Short of a footy match I haven't seen so many in one spot for years

And yes, I was probably got as was doing 80 when I cottoned on to them Embarassed

No excuses on my part but that is just a money making exercise on a dual carriage way.

More profitable than going after bike thieves I suppose.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well do you reckon the average thief knows bikes? Do they nick things that look nice and shiny or do they know the value?
If someone were to ride a nice, expensive bike but give it a paint job that makes it look like a complete rustbucket, would it be less likely to be stolen?

(My bike is parked out of site at work and I wouldn't do this anyway - it's just a theoretical thought. I've heard the same argument used for not washing a bike.)

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: scum Reply with quote

If they want it they are gunna nick it, to order probably, but for the joy rider and amateur, just make it look as if its tooooo much hassle to nick, or fit a transponder, smart water, alarm that goes off if you just touch the bike ( its possible ) and an electricution devise.

Even a cheapo £15 e bay special programable car alarm can be used on a bike and well hidden. Even a fake alarm flashing led........

If i came across a scum bag nicking my bike i would hospitalise the bastard !

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: scum Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
If they want it they are gunna nick it, to order probably, but for the joy rider and amateur, just make it look as if its tooooo much hassle to nick, or fit a transponder, smart water, alarm that goes off if you just touch the bike ( its possible ) and an electricution devise.

Even a cheapo £15 e bay special programable car alarm can be used on a bike and well hidden. Even a fake alarm flashing led........

Do you really think a flashing light, or even an actual alarm going off is going to stop these scrotes from stealing your bike in broad daylight in the middle of the day

They don't even care if they are seen doing it these days as they go around tooled up

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my home town of high Wycombe I see a LOT of police around. we have some gang issues and such so that may play a part but no where near as bad as London. I park in an indoor car park with the barrier that opens only by a control man so I think I'm pretty safe. tbh outside of major cities you're probably way better off but I'm still looking to invest in a few tracking devices to hide in various places around the bike. just in case

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:43 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: scum Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
bikenut wrote:

Do you really think a flashing light, or even an actual alarm going off is going to stop these scrotes from stealing your bike in broad daylight in the middle of the day

They don't even care if they are seen doing it these days as they go around tooled up

I think a red flashing LED would put off some opportunist thiefs as they would realize it is alarmed or failing that would probably think it is some kind of tracking device. in London it seems the hottest items to steal are new super sports bikes but mostly it would be any scooter and moreso the high-powered scooters. i ride a 2002 cbr so I am hoping they wouldnt bother!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The police were out in force on the bridges over the A5 in MK yesterday. I counted at least 10 with 2 holding radar guns. Evil or Very Mad Short of a footy match I haven't seen so many in one spot for years

And yes, I was probably got as was doing 80 when I cottoned on to them Embarassed

No excuses on my part but that is just a money making exercise on a dual carriage way.

More profitable than going after bike thieves I suppose.

Do they get to keep fine revenue?

I know one change, is that since central government cut funding, they are allowed to up their part of the council tax to make up for it.

You still pay as much, just more through local government funding instead of national.

I have no idea but I seem to recollect they make money from the driver speeding courses so probably just after the drivers going just too fast (like me yesterday Crying or Very sad )

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: scum Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
bikenut wrote:

Just read the first 9 words, and more importantly the sentence about hospitals.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my theory that they have, will and do put alot of effort and brazeness along with being tooled up with power tools and weapons, for bikes that are worth several ££££. They would go to the same effort for scooters and especially the high powered ones. I don't think though that nicking scooters earns them alot of cash, it's more that fast scooters are too useful in crime not to steal.

I'd say that cheap 125's and anything motocross/enduro or supermoto is obviously desirable, but the joy riding scum who nick and destroy these bikes also are probably rarely in it for any financial gain. As such the stereotype hood teens that nick these bikes are probably not going out as tooled up with expensive equipment to cut off locks, or risking being approached or challenged as much. Thus they probably don't risk carrying weapons and being willing to attack anyone trying to stop them, as the bikes won't have a value worth it, and if a bike is for a few hours of fun and kicks only your not going to go to such extremes to take it? After all they'll be another bike if one is too risky to steal? Passing on stolen off road bikes is a risk and the off road community generally looks out for suspect machines and sellers more than road bike riders.

I know it's all generalising, but my mind says I'd put less effort and risk into getting a £3000 off road bike that I only want to thrash have an afternoon of being a loon on and then burn when the fuel runs out or I blow the engine up whichever comes first. But going out in groups and gangs with tools and weapons for a couple of £15-20k R1's or Ducati's that I can move on quickly and get a good payday out of is worth alot more risk and trouble?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Part and parcel

Victim blamer!

I voted for president grr Thumbs Up

I'm also in agreement with emperor Ste, capital punishment for thieves.

peejayess
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:17 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
How well do you reckon the average thief knows bikes? Do they nick things that look nice and shiny or do they know the value?
)

Few years back my V-reg Diversion 900 was nicked from outside the house. We live in a cul-de-sac, the house is far enough up the road and round a bend we can’t be seen from the main road, plus the bike was behind my van and under a cover. The neighbour’s cctv picked up a white van that came up the cul-de-sac, turned round and went back, a hand waving out the window pointing at my bike (no, couldn’t see the van reg no). They took the cover off the bike, broke the steering lock and wheeled it off down the road. When they got it to the van (for loading up) they looked more closely, decided it wasn’t what they wanted, and chucked it in the hedge.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, a recovered quad bike locally showed that they tried to bypass the starter button by joining together the wires to the horn.
Unfortunately it didn't sound with ignition off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:32 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd say that cheap 125's and anything motocross/enduro or supermoto is obviously desirable, but the joy riding scum who nick and destroy these bikes also are probably rarely in it for any financial gain.

Exactly what happened to me. Left my bike at the front of my house when i was the only one home. Had only just moved in so didnt know the area that well and after coming from an area with very little crime i didnt put any locks on it(had just gotten back and wasn't planning on staying home long before going back out).

Two kids on a stolen enduro broke the steering lock and just joined two wires together and nicked the thing. Its a cheap 125 supermoto/enduro so it obviously appealed to them. first thing they did was remove mirrors, plates, indicators and all stickers/accents from it and went on a joy ride. my dad managed to find them in the local park showing off and took the bike back, kids were only 13-15 years old.

I live 30 seconds walk from a large police station, police know all about the kids who nicked it. They did nothing but put a marker on the ANPR system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:29 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They did nothing but put a marker on the ANPR system.

Knowing which kids are wasting oxygen is different to being able to prove their guilt beyond reasonable doubt in a court.

Even if found guilty, the courts would just let them off with a gentle slap on the wrists anyway. Sad

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:15 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I do realise many have no choice as they use them for transport to work, but FUCK leaving a bike parked anywhere
you don't own or in plain view. The Police have basically been on strike since their budgets were cut in 2012, they
can't strike as such, so they reduce their visibility by being all over "offence" crime instead. I'm not putting the
boot into the rank and file here. They have to do what they are told by the bigwigs. But arseholes like that Cressida
Dick have them chasing shadows and offensive material on the internet, wearing high heels, wearing bear
costumes and getting their nails painted to demonstrate solidarity with various hard luck issues. It's stupid PC bollocks
and the coppers on the ground know it. But what choice do they have? Speaking out against any part of the current wave
of Liberal causes and you are finished on the force. So they grin and bear it.

Everyone has noticed how few Police you see these days. Scumbags can see this too, which of course escalates
their activities. The idea is if the old bill sit on their hands a bit and let everything go to shit around them, the lack
of funding will be blamed. The goal being securing more from Central Government because chaos then they start
doing their jobs properly and start banging heads again. CPS needs a massive kick up its liberal arse too. Because
when the fuzz do get some of the low hanging fruit in front of the beak, the punishments are pathetic or worse
still, they just set them free again. They aren't off the streets for more than a day or two while they attend court and
get fines they don't pay. Remote prisons on small uninhabited islands around the country are the answer, because
obviously nobody wants a brand new prison in their back yard.

No visitors, no playstations, no contact with outside world until their full and appropriate sentence is served. Boat ride in
and out. But that will never happen with any of the current shower of shite we have to choose from. Frankly, nobody has
the balls to do it. OP if I were you, I'd take the bus for a few weeks.

That^^.

On all counts.

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:57 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I'm not putting the
boot into the rank and file here.

of funding will be blamed.

The "rank and file" that you mention aren't sitting on their hands at all, but running around unable to muster sufficient numbers to respond in time to meet targets for calls graded as requiring an emergency response. Or they're responding alone to calls that really should have a handful of officers attending. Helicopters are shared across three or four counties, as are other specialist resources.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1