Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

British Cycling discount at Halfords

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: British Cycling discount at Halfords Reply with quote

A word of warning for anyone who uses the Halfords 10% discount to help cover the cost of their British Cycling membership, they've recently changed the conditions that it covers "bike-related" purchases only

(Luckily I got away with buying a car battery the other month....)

A bit crap as it renders the discount practically useless for me.

I only found out because a friend of mine kicked off about his discount not being applied to a purchase so I checked with HQ who confirmed the recent change Sad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think why anyone would be surprised when.....

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Quote:

British Cycling Members and official Fans save 10% at Halfords stores nationwide

Members and official Fans of British Cycling can save 10% on all cycling products in-store at Halfords.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really thought about it.

Wifey got a new bicycle and bits the other day and we got a discount, never occurred to me to try it for other things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Can't think why anyone would be surprised when.....

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Quote:

British Cycling Members and official Fans save 10% at Halfords stores nationwide

Members and official Fans of British Cycling can save 10% on all cycling products in-store at Halfords.

It used to be off any purchase. It's changed now, that's the point of my post Rolling Eyes

Several years ago when I first started using it, the young lad on the till wasn't sure if it applied to everything, to the point he was worried about putting it through. I showed him the BC website which stated it was all. I then also got it in writing from Halfords HQ that it covered anything. Not to wave around in an argument, but to show any of the people on the tills in case they also worried they were doing the wrong thing (I've done that job, I know how much of a dick supervisors can be if you make an honest mistake)

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of the old T&Cs:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170904101620/https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Quote:
How to get your discount:

Simply present your valid British Cycling membership card at the till when you make your purchase to obtain a 10% discount.

*Terms and conditions
• Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card.
• 10% off is valid on any purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.
• May not be used in conjunction with any other voucher.
• Discount cannot be used in conjunction with other instore promotions.
• Discount not applicable on sale items.
• Discount can only be used once per transaction.
• Discount is not redeemable for cash.
• Exclusive to British Cycling Members.
• Discount is not redeemable online.

Promoter Halfords Ltd. Icknield Street Drive, Washford West, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0DE.

If you haven’t received your membership card yet, call the membership team on 0161 274 2010 for an e-mailed copy.

Read more at https://web.archive.org/web/20170904101620/https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts#kheEoCKamVsWK3LD.99

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chutzpah wrote:

I followed that web archive link and guess what?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"10% off is valid on any purchase", which is what their head office confirmed once to be the case. The eagle eyed amongst you may spot this is the key phrase that has changed to "10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase"

But yeah, keep being you.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use of the word 'everything' seems relatively pertinent here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170706155103/https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also says CYCLING PRODUCTS where I pointed it out. The fact that some have temporarily found a loop-hole because someone was too lazy to spell out exactly something that would be obvious to most normal-thinking people doesn't stop me being surprised that the loop-hole has now been closed, or that they only ever meant for it to be a discount on cycling products.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the last archive link...

Quote:

Members and official Fans of British Cycling can get 10% off everything in-store at Halfords, including sale items.

Halfords stocks Boardman bikes and is the UK's leading bike retailer with over 400 stores across the UK.

This offer is only available in store. Excludes all website only prices and deals. This is not available in conjunction with Cycle2Work vouchers.

[...]

Terms and conditions
    Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card.
    10% off is valid on any purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.

Plus from earlier....

"I then also got it in writing from Halfords HQ that it covered anything"

But yeah, it was a loophole Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it was a loophole. Razz

A 10% discount for British Cycling members was obviously never meant to be used for car stereos or most of the other stuff Halfords sell.

Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from the guy in Halfords when I ordered some knobblies, for my old carerra that was in the shed, that one can no longer just show British cycling membership card, but have to go online and do something before hand - for each purchase. Rolling Eyes

Dunno what yet, as order hasn't arrived and I didn't pay a deposit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used BC membership to get discount off a tool set. And an air filter. Till staff dngaf.

But then, the real savings start with halfrauds when you get a trade card. get one, you won't be disappointed.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my mate has one, he bought my toolkit with it for me, can't go pestering him for every little purchase though Crying or Very sad

so, Halfords discount, you have to log onto British Cycling, then select dashboard - members benefits, and then print off voucher. Says need to present a membership card also in the blurb, but the voucher doesn't and I dount anyone will ask.

also, I notice chain reaction now give £10 off of orders over £150. Didn't that use to be 10% on orders over £100 Rolling Eyes

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
also, I notice chain reaction now give £10 off of orders over £150. Didn't that use to be 10% on orders over £100 Rolling Eyes

Yeah and Wiggle before that was just 10% off anything iirc. The wiggle / crc stitchup was and is not good for cycling.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
But then, the real savings start with halfrauds when you get a trade card. get one, you won't be disappointed.

I have one and I agree. Thumbs Up

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yes, but it was a loophole. Razz

A 10% discount for British Cycling members was obviously never meant to be used for car stereos or most of the other stuff Halfords sell.

Wink

I've bought a car stereo with it, and a van battery and headlight bulbs... etc etc.

Until recently when I went in to buy some Dot 4 fluid and they pointed at a new sign taped to the desk that said "British Cycling membership discount is now only valid on cycling related products". I told them I was going to use the Dot 4 brake fluid on my mountain bike and they agreed to discount it. Then they said actually you need to have a voucher code from the British Cycling website each time you purchase now too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought some tyres there today, as above, used printed voucher. Got given voucher back, dunno if it would scan again, didn't ask to see a membership card.

I queried what was and what wasn't a bicycle product too, and said what about WD40, or what if I prefer motorcycle dry wax on a chain etc - he seemed to think how far I could push it depended upon who was on the till.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:24 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
he seemed to think how far I could push it depended upon who was on the till.

Makes sense.

If you can pay at the Bike Hut counter then I'd expect to be able to get away with more.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perkbox just got me 20% off motorcycle stuff at Halfords, bunch of other Halfords offers too, 25% of a silver cycle service, but.... Laughing

15% off a new bike is the only thing that really trumps British Cycling

deliveroo thing, most the offers are irrelevant to me, and I don't want to spend money up front, like a gift card to get a discount
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 196 days between these two posts...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 31 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deliveroo parted company with perkbox, and replaced it with Portify app.

I can still get 20% off of bicycle parts and accessories at Halfords - which is just about worth having. Thumbs Up plust 15% off of a new bike

Bought some Voodoo mountain bike shorts for £20 reduced from £40 and got another 20% off.

Just mentioning it, because of the apparent lack of scrutiny, they didn't scan the code, or even appear to look very closely at it at all.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1