Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just one coat of Sandtex...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Just one coat of Sandtex... Reply with quote

...makes a fair bit of difference.

A lot of the brick had different textures, so some were smooth, some engineering, whilst others rough and drank the paint. Second coat is now on, but will wait to see what finish is like once it's dry. Asbestos ceiling is being sealed today, power being run in by the weekend, then electric roller door. Going to be a few weeks of being crammed with furniture whilst the rest of the house is being done, but operation mancave is underway Smile

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/garage_2.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/garage_3.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely brightens the place up!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... but... Sandtex is exterior grade paint - you do realise you will now die from the fumes leaching out over the next few years? Shocked

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just a single 11w LED portable worklamp from Screwfix I used whilst painting at night.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-portable-led-work-light-11w-220-240v/2564k

I'm not going to need much more lighting, methinks. One warm overhead for when just putting the bikes away and getting stuff off the racking, then a few white strips over the work area and either side of the front section switched separately.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
But... but... Sandtex is exterior grade paint - you do realise you will now die from the fumes leaching out over the next few years? Shocked

That's OK, the radon will get me first Smile

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

properly painted garages make such a difference! Get the floor done whilst it's empty

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
properly painted garages make such a difference! Get the floor done whilst it's empty

I agree with that. It makes a real difference. "Liquid lino" or similar.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, the floor will be done. Not sure of my budget yet.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this sort of thing and 20l was enough to do a single and a double garage with two coats.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/floor-master-polyurethane-20L-industrial-floor-paint/332211473787?hash=item4d5958cd7b:m:mqWiZDRU5THEXP5--F8okHw:rk:11:pf:0

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing you can do to brick shed walls is white paint - brightens it and needs less lighting fitted in the end. Makes a good clean surface and gives contrast behind shelves that allows things to be found easily.
I always use old leftover emulsion for that because of the initial absorption.

Envious that you have such a big space - I'm about to knock an inner wall out to allow myself more working space - probably 2 more square metres Sad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing job. Nice garage. Still waiting for mine to be built.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:44 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason is miss read it as one coat of spandex Laughing Laughing , I was expecting some nsfw pics.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:38 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will soon be doing my garage up, white walls and grey floor paint me thinks. Currently got a up and over door which is about 5'10" tall when opened up (just enough to hit your head on) so need to replace that as there is another foot or so above that could be utilised by a roller door. Been told it's very easy to go overboard with LED lights so start off with 2 and see if you actually need more. Mines got 5 or 6 old strip lights in at the minute that will be going, just replaced the house lights with LED ones and they are the shit Thumbs Up

How much are electric roller doors these days? I'll be needing a new frame on mine (rotten at the bottom) so that'll add a bit extra to things. Can they be operated if the power goes off? no side door on mine.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my garage floor in plastic tiles by Plasfloor. Single garage cost about £250 iirc. Marginally more comfortable underfoot, dropped tools less likely to be damaged and no concrete dust. I went for yellow ones which seem to make the place seem a bit brighter.

Also, if you can cut some French cleat strips for the wall you can hang stuff all over and easily re-arrange.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with large interlocking vinyl floor tiles which I bought from bigdug:

https://i.imgur.com/lY2DHV9h.jpg

I used Sketchup to plan out how many I would need and they were pretty heavy. They turned up on a pallet.

They've been down for two years now and are surviving fairly well. Sort of wish I'd put down that thin underlay for a bit more insulation and sound-deadening, but not enough to go lifting them all.

The light grey ones have discoloured slightly where I ride dirty bikes onto them all year round, but the floor is much easier to sweep and mop than bare concrete. I do use side stand pucks to stop the stands sinking in, but where I've dented the tiles with center stands the marks have vanished after a while.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
How much are electric roller doors these days? I'll be needing a new frame on mine (rotten at the bottom) so that'll add a bit extra to things. Can they be operated if the power goes off?

Depends on whether you go for single skin, double skin, insulated, etc. This'll give you a guide :-

https://www.thegaragedoorcentre.co.uk/type-and-price-guide/Roller-Garage-Doors/price_range+asc

There's a manual winding system for if the power goes off. Wouldn't be too hard to incorporate a small backup battery & inverter. Might look at that myself now I'm moving to a village Smile

jnw010 wrote:
I've done my garage floor in plastic tiles by Plasfloor. Single garage cost about £250 iirc.

Serendipity wrote:
I went with large interlocking vinyl floor tiles which I bought from bigdug:

Online calculator estimates £288, without mentioning delivery, for the Plasfloor and around £350-400 including delivery from BigDug. I like it, may go that route in the future, but it's not as though the garage will be seeing any heavy duty use - just parking and basic servicing really. Not sure I want to spend that much when a couple of coats of paint would be £30 Smile Spare cash is going into the house at the mo. And £400 would go towards a second bike, too Smile

jnw010 wrote:
Also, if you can cut some French cleat strips for the wall you can hang stuff all over and easily re-arrange.

Aye, that's on my list Smile

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone sells heavy duty floor paint on gumtree for £40 for 20L, and will deliver too - don't know if that ups the price or not tho.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good

I would just paint the floor white, i did that in my garage

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip, always go for industrial floor paint, avoid domestic stuff as even the trade paint isn't tough enough to deal with shoes let alone tyres.

Did a job in an mot garage some years ago and i pleaded with the guy to spend just a little bit extra on industrial floor paint but no, went for domestic and it lasted weeks Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If painting a concrete floor, then Ronseal diamond hard floor paint is good stuff. It been fine in my garage for 6years, and with cars and bikes in-out frequently.

What matters other than paint quality with painting any concrete floor is preparation. You absolutely can't expect any paint to adhere well to a dusty oily rough floor.

You need to remove dust and seal the concrete with a good concrete sealant, and also try to level the surface as much as possible. Only once this is done will floor paint be suitable for the surface and have any chance of being a durable tough finish.

If working on the floor at all though, you want a soft and warm surface. In my shed I've got kitchen lino over plywood sheet that's on top of 12mm thick polystyrene sheet. Its far nicer to stand or kneel on than concrete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What matters other than paint quality with painting any concrete floor is preparation. You absolutely can't expect any paint to adhere well to a dusty oily rough floor.

You need to remove dust and seal the concrete with a good concrete sealant, and also try to level the surface as much as possible.

Aye, I'm taking the pressure washer and degreaser over to attack it at the weekend, and then seeing what condition it's really in.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you raise up the leg braces on that pallet bench you can slide stuff under it AND have a shelf for storage.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If you raise up the leg braces on that pallet bench you can slide stuff under it AND have a shelf for storage.

Good idea - it's about 3" too wide to slide under the window between the brick uprights, so I'll be trimming it down an putting a ply surface on anyway.

I'm thinking the shelf needs to be just over compressor height, methinks Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I'm thinking the shelf needs to be just over compressor height, methinks Smile

Yes, that's exactly the right height for a bottom shelf Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Triumph1300
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
Do you want my GT550 to put in that space???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2