Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bristol bike hunters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:16 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Bristol bike hunters Reply with quote

Article on BBC about stolen bike hunters in Bristol
Not watched it yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it this morning. Apparently they've recovered "dozens" of bikes, but it didn't say if they were intact. The footage was mostly of them kicking around bits of burned out bikes under a bridge. And they wear stab vests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:50 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Watched it this morning. Apparently they've recovered "dozens" of bikes, but it didn't say if they were intact. The footage was mostly of them kicking around bits of burned out bikes under a bridge. And they wear stab vests.

They are making an effort which is more than many people. They haven't shown a "It's insured, so I don't care" attitude. Commendable IMO.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:

They are making an effort which is more than many people. They haven't shown a "It's insured, so I don't care" attitude. Commendable IMO.

quite agree. good on them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They haven't shown a "It's insured, so I don't care" attitude.

That's kind of the point of insurance though isn't it? Protecting expensive investments against malice, incompetence and/or bad luck.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
MarJay wrote:
They haven't shown a "It's insured, so I don't care" attitude.

That's kind of the point of insurance though isn't it? Protecting expensive investments against malice, incompetence and/or bad luck.

Sort of, but it's a back stop, a last resort. I'd rather my house/boat/car wasn't touched in the first place.

If these people are doing something, good on them as the police don't seem interested.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many students have TPO? How many can afford the excess? How many can afford the insurance hikes both general and specific which come from increased theft?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student in 'poor' shocker. Never mind, things look up pretty quickly once you are earning a proper wage, that's why they
are students isn't it? To improve prospects and build a career in something that isn't unskilled. Can't have it all.
Pretty sure I already contribute towards the Police, it really is their look out to go after criminals, not mine.
That's not to say I wouldn't protect my own property with force given that scenario, but someone else's. Nah ta,
just the same as I wouldn't expect anyone not in a blue uniform to put themselves in danger for any of my valuable
stuff. Hence the insurance. I'm not taking a knife in the guts from some weed addled bredren over someones else's bike.
Vigilantism is not the answer to the problem, and I live in Bristol btw.

Polarbear wrote:
If these people are doing something, good on them as the police don't seem interested.

Morally speaking I'm inclined to agree, but wait until one of the little thieving darlings gets hurt or worse in the fracas,
you'll see the Police interested then, they like low hanging fruit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Student in 'poor' shocker. Never mind, things look up pretty quickly once you are earning a proper wage, that's why they
are students isn't it? To improve prospects and build a career in something that isn't unskilled. Can't have it all.
Pretty sure I already contribute towards the Police, it really is their look out to go after criminals, not mine.
That's not to say I wouldn't protect my own property with force given that scenario, but someone else's. Nah ta,
just the same as I wouldn't expect anyone not in a blue uniform to put themselves in danger for any of my valuable
stuff. Hence the insurance. I'm not taking a knife in the guts from some weed addled bredren over someones else's bike.
Vigilantism is not the answer to the problem, and I live in Bristol btw.

Not everyone who is poor is a student. You miss the point. The Police are doing jack all otherwise they would have acted upon the document that was floating about on here about a year ago.

It seems they aren't trying to be vigilantes, but just to recover stolen bikes before they get burned out. As I said, commendable. I'm not an advocate of vigilantism either, but these guys don't seem to be that anyway.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:23 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for me, is that unlike 'proper' crime of years ago where bikes were stolen, stripped and sold off in bits, I don't really want my bike back, repaired or otherwise after these scrotes have had it.

Recovering an intact bike thats got a broken steering lock and ignition barrel before it's stripped is one thing. Recovering a bike thats been joy-ridden, dropped, ridden off road etc is just delaying my insurance settlement frankly.

The root of the problem is to stop them being stolen in the first place.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the approach of the 'bristol firestarter' who torched (abet pathetically badly) the 'memorial' to one of the little shites.
If I remember correctly he was still on life support at the time.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow them on Facebook as I live in Bristol (proper Bristol unlike you grr Wink ) and I've had my bike stolen. Luckily it was found down the road with a broken steering lock.

They have recovered a load of bikes and they get there either; before the Police or before they get towed and pay their extortionate fees. All volunteers too, so hats off to them for doing something to help the community.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in proper Bristol too and hats off to them for making
an effort. you know the cops will do SFA.
My mate had his torched and my lad had his 125 nicked.
When the popo were told of it just down the road, instead of telling us
(I had a van and could have collected it quickly and easily)
they just got it recovered so it was £120 for that pleasure and £20 a day thereafter.
the useless bloody coppers just added insult to injury !

I went to see it and haggled them down to the £120 recovery only fee and managed to fix it up again as the theives were too
inbred/stupid to get it running and go far on it.

many others aren't so lucky if you can call it that

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:14 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Bristol and never have any concerns about parking at work.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It seems they aren't trying to be vigilantes, but just to recover stolen bikes before they get burned out. As I said, commendable. I'm not an advocate of vigilantism either, but these guys don't seem to be that anyway.

It's all smashing until someone gets knifed over a bike that isn't theirs. They believe it may well kick off too, that's why
the stab vests. The Police have their priorities given to them by the higher ups and the big buzz is all about offence crime
right now. Like I said they like low hanging fruit. Someone who has made a hurty tweet is unlikely to put up as much of
a struggle as a feral yoot. But it still counts as a nick.

B5234FT wrote:
The problem for me, is that unlike 'proper' crime of years ago where bikes were stolen, stripped and sold off in bits, I don't really want my bike back, repaired or otherwise after these scrotes have had it.

Recovering an intact bike thats got a broken steering lock and ignition barrel before it's stripped is one thing. Recovering a bike thats been joy-ridden, dropped, ridden off road etc is just delaying my insurance settlement frankly.

I wouldn't want my bike back either, my only hope is that it's last act before ending up burnt out in Lawrence
Weston is injuring the rider fatally or permanently, Spacker by name Spacker by nature. My bike is my toy, and if
anyones gonna break it it will be me. If someone else has, I don't want it back thanks.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:08 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Barely and in a secured park. Try parking the bike in Lawrence Hill.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:51 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Barely and in a secured park. Try parking the bike in Lawrence Hill.

No thanks, I'll stick with the carpark that's guarded by armed police...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1