Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ignition stator question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Ignition stator question. Reply with quote

I finally managed to get my KMX 125 engine casings sprayed earlier this week when it was warm. Now I've received my gaskets I thought fit the clutch and alternator covers.

As everyone knows this is my tart bike, and I've noticed the flywheel has seen some light surface rusting, and the stator looks old and dusty. On my chuck it together and splatter it in mud 200 I wouldn't care what stuff looks like if it works.

But my stator is 32years old and I'm thinking like alot of things electrical they can break down over time. Have many BCF'ers had problems with old stators going bad when they get old?

I'm trying to do stuff so I don't have to go back into anything that's new or re-painted, hence my previous question about the clutch.

If you had the chance would you replace a 30+yr old stator with new while you had the flywheel off? I'm trying to stop spending on this bike as I want it back together and finished asap, before it drains anymore of my life away.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to replace the coil/s, with the flywheel off i would just polish all with fine GLASS paper.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice. That's my thinking that if mine has a year or two left in it its not worth looking at other crusty used ones, unless I can get a used one off a late 2000-2002 bike maybe.

When I fit the Ignitec ignition I won't be using the source coils as it'll run off the dc 12v instead. But yeah I need to keep the alternator windings for my needs.

I have a look for a newer looking used stator off a late model bike, as NOS is probably unavailable for this bike now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the rewind, as mentioned above.
Got mine done 3 years ago, £65 plus P+P, done at BB Bikeshop.
Well worth it for the peace of mind.
Not sure whether the price is dependent on them having an alternator to exchange though.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a part that should rarely or never fail, and wont cause any major issue if it does. Id suggest that age is not too important vs "hot hours", which could be approximated by mileage, and oil cleanliness. How many miles is a 125 shit slinger going to do in 32 years..?

I would not replace early, and if I did, a good (unstained) used one would be preferable to a UK rewind, even at the same cost.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
No need to replace the coil/s, with the flywheel off i would just polish all with fine GLASS paper.

If it`s not broken don`t fix it.
More so on an old bike.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""""Many 2 stroke tuners will disagree, more so on an old bike. You can wait for 35 year old parts to fail or you can do preventative maintenance."""

Who takes a 35 year old bike to a tuner?????????????????

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fucking daft thing to say! It's 35year old bikes that are responsive to tuning, upgrades and professional help. Good luck getting your modern bikes to respond to tuning in the same way. This age of de-catting slip ons and a flashed ECU before pronouncing a bike done is pretty dull and boring if you ask me.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: insulation Reply with quote

Insulation can break down, also since the stator windings are inside rotating magnetic field, then can mover and fatique, a make and break and break and make contact. This is why they are usually coated in an epoxy, which can also crack due to the many heat cycles taking out winding wire in the process, they can and do break under the epoxy.

the smaller the wire the greater the potential of breakage, some winding wire being candy floss thin.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it is not broken and you are worried, then buy a new stator and gasket and keep them just in case.

You might find yourself selling them on years from now when/if you sell the bike, you might have to use them next week who knows?

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:32 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike was running reliably before painting the covers, I personaly would not be changing a part that is in known working order.

Preventative maintenance would be changing your piston ring before it wears out, or changing the reeds before they break/ deform not changing a perfectly good ignition stator.

So long as the bike runs and the stator resistance is within spec there is no reason to change it.

If the op wants piece of mind for changing it then so be it, just don't throw the old one away in case the new part fails early (not unheard of).

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: paaint Reply with quote

paint can be an insulator.......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1