Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort that. When you near the century, how can you NOT just go a bit further Laughing

Mileage is still down but getting out again. Started on the resistance work again after many years and even bought some new 20kg plates for bumping the deadlift up. I cannot walk properly again and it has killed my speed gains on the bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovery from cardio work is definitely improving Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitness and motorcycle related all in one?
I played motoball yesterday, we had two matches in the same day.
That’s not unusual or that I was supposed to have given up motoball some years ago, however I played Smile .

Motoball is frenetic, frantic, physical, and just plain hard work.
We had a hard game, it was one mothef*cker of a workout.

Today my hips ache like I’ve been kicked by a large horse.
Boy if I need to do serious cardio workouts, maybe I need to get back into motoball.
I haven’t had a workout like that for ages.

Tomorrow it’s Karate training and included in this is a bit of fitness training.

This is one old man that is at least trying to keep hold of some of his fitness.
Rocking chairs hold no interest to me Smile

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a go at motoball
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I would love a go at motoball

Have you Googled it?
English Motoball is a lot less formal than the Continental motoball.
And they are a lot better at it than we are, but we don’t do bad Smile .

I’ll bear in mind what you said and when I/we confirm our 2019 dates and venues, I will post them up.
Maybe you could come along? We may? let you have a go?

It’s always good to see a bit of interest.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoball... Is a real sport?!?!!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Motoball... Is a real sport?!?!!

YouTube it and see.

Maybe it is maybe it isn’t? There are organising bodies and we have a set of rules.

If it’s not a ‘sport’ , who cares? Not us , we just carry on doing our thing.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah looks fun, I wanna go, I'd be crap cos I can't do some of the things with the bike I'd need to do, but that's okay cos I'm crap at football too Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun number 2 done, I made 41odd minutes last week and this week I got 37.38 according to Strava! Feeling absolutely amazing now! I need to wait for my official scanned time but yeah, Im pretty proud of myself Very Happy

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Karate last night.
Quite a busy session, didn’t notice how physical it got.
Woke up this morning with about 20 bruises I didn’t know I had Shocked

My legs and arms are a nice shade of yellow, purple, & blue Confused

Armchair video games are beginning to look more appealing every day now Laughing

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k race today. ~16 minutes. Not too bad but I had to stop 4 times, well into anaerobic pace with cardio massively limiting me. Cadence is still too low ~155.

Slightly worried that I bought another 250g pack of "bacon rashers" and within a few hours I have finished them Embarassed Laughing Excuse is that I had cramping, people say eat salt, thats about 6grams of salt Shocked

waffles wrote:
Parkrun number 2 done, I made 41odd minutes last week and this week I got 37.38 according to Strava! Feeling absolutely amazing now! I need to wait for my official scanned time but yeah, Im pretty proud of myself Very Happy

Good improvement. Consider walking it, less impact, easier on the joints, and will help you get quicker. The vertical component of running is redundant at that pace. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_walking

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

like to do martial arts again, but, meh money etc

so after last Sundays (nearly) 100 mile bike ride, haven't done any cycling for a week, and all running has been me encouraging my wife, and attempting to coach her.

I tend to run to park run, run with my wife on the park run, then run home. Will have to up the miles a tad soon, as I have a half m in December.

Anyway, as it was a gentle week, I took the opportunity to adjust my diet, and work on core strength etc

This morning I do my first shift as a deliveroo cyclist. I do hope I get the furthest away deliveries so I can clock some miles up.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

This morning I do my first shift as a deliveroo cyclist. I do hope I get the furthest away deliveries so I can clock some miles up.

Well, in 90 minutes I only cycled a little over 12 miles, and earned more per hour than I did as a supervisor in a Citizens Advice Bureau.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Good improvement. Consider walking it, less impact, easier on the joints, and will help you get quicker. The vertical component of running is redundant at that pace. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_walking

I was alternating between jogging and walking, one minute of each. My aim is to build up longer run times gradually so although my overall pace is slow for a run, power walking would be slower still and not what I want to do for Parkruns. Thanks for the link though Thumbs Up I might build in some faster walks to my gym sessions as running on a treadmill and running outside are very different.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid treadmil, its not natural, screws with running form, its not good training.

Power walking, use it as a training tool. Allows you to get better muscle activation - particually glutes, will give you rapid improvement of your run times. I have been experimenting with it myself, yesterday at a 5min/km pace -- mixed in with high cadence forefoot running - which I am strugvling to adapt to.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd lunchtime of deliverooing on a bicycle, setting Strava PR's on my hybrid
(though these must be on roads I've not ridden my roadie on)

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained last night before going to work.
We did a LOT of stretching and flexibility exercise Evil or Very Mad
I need it a lot, problem is I hate it Crying or Very sad

My hips ache this morning.
I’m sure it’ll all come good in the end.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing just set a new PR for a stretch out of town, to deliver some sushi, blasted through the country park, rode off road to avoid the pedestrian lemmings, got there faster than a motorbike could've (cos roads, lights, traffic versus traffic free national cycle paths), and then got moaned at for cycling past the entrance to the business on an industrial estate and causing someone to wait for 20 whole seconds as I did a u-turn in the carpark.

tried to do kettle bell swings last night, properly. It looked easy. it isnb't. Wanted to do 100 in one go. no chance. Shocked

and I was only using a 14k too.

also did some military presses with bar bells, and a few dumbell things

every other day, pretty much, back doing core - press ups, sit ups, squats, pull ups, dips etc then other exercises if I feel up to it

on the other days do big (for me) lifting with weights.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Well, in 90 minutes I only cycled a little over 12 miles, and earned more per hour than I did as a supervisor in a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Have seen your rides for deliveroo, not sure it would be worth it but might be interesting.

I lolled at the KB comment. First time I did it properly I couldn't grip anything for days, really messed with my work.

Currently attempting the following

Mon, Wed, Fri - compound routines 5x5 with some additional bits thrown in, nothing too strenuous and building slowly from lighter then I can manage to avoid injury and improve form. Tue, Thurs, poss Sat or Sun for cardio in the form of cycling as well as irregular commuting.

I won't be able to maintain the routine completely consistently due to work and other commitments (16 hour days at times) but I don't mind that, I just need to not fall out of it and stagnate like normal.

I also need an indoor trainer for the bike I think, get rid of my treadmill.

That and avoid political discussions with smooth brains for my own mental health and I should be ok going forward.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

Have seen your rides for deliveroo, not sure it would be worth it but might be interesting.

If you do the maths, probably not. If you don't do the maths, and just hammer away on the pedals, it's okay. The way shifts are allocated is a bit sketchy, and I don't really want to do the the evening shifts, even though that's where the big money is. But, a rainy lunchtime can be okay too. The more shifts you do, the more preference you get to choose shifts, I've got a few evening shifts coming up, but won't be my prime choice. So, I'm always on notify - and just say yes to anything if it fits in with my plans.

I mean, if I wasn't working by bike delivering, I'd be cycling anyway probably. Helps that I live inside a delivery zone, so I can just sit here doing my thing waiting for my phone to go ping if I wanted, once I've signed on as available for a shift.

(There is another system where you just pitch up in a "Free Zone" and work as and when, but the nearest one is 25miles away)

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now lost just under 3 stone and have a real problem, I've saggy unsightly skin, my arms are the worst, not my gut as you'd imagine. I need to tone in the gym. Arse cheeks saggy but arms look awful, loads of floppy skin. I'm there or there abouts my ideal weight, just not really happy with the end result. I cut calorie intake to 1100 a day and walked everywhere I could, took the stairs, drank loads of water and never ate anything after 6 at night.

I now need to tone like crazy. I look a mess, my skin hasn't stretched back like I thought it would.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you lose it too fast? I read somewhere about losing it slowly to allow your skin to shrink and reduce the problem. That was a pretty low food intake, your body will probably freak and try to put it back on. I don't think toning up helps with saggy skin unfortunately but may be worth checking into it.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:51 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost 30kg mainly 4 years ago after being put on the low fodmap diet. I did originally have a lot of unsightly loose skin but that did tighten up over time, I think over a period of 9 months. I have an area of slightly slack skin around my midriff because when my ibs is triggered I bloat very quickly and very obviously. Be patient and train and you will trim up.

That said nothing for me since August because of Water Infection (4th in 12 months) followed by bloating and cramps and at least 5 weeks of the trots on and off during a week. The Dr has urgently referred me back to the hospital and I am in a Colorectal Clinic for Tuesday night where hopefully I can find out what the fudge is going on.

Following that if I stay clear of water infections to the 30th October I have another round of tests due to establish what is going on to keep causing these.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a climbing wall taster. Enjoyed it and joined up. Think this will be better for upper body than the normal gym stuff I do.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun #3 this morning, woke up with a bit of a head cold and a cough but managed to maintain my decent pace. New PB Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 16 of 29