Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Universal Credit - enlighten me...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Universal Credit - enlighten me... Reply with quote

So I've read a few bits and pieces (from both sides) on it. But still can't figure out why it's such a big bone of contention for loads of people.

Can someone on here explain (with links ideally) why it's being ripped apart by labour / the general public?

Is it just because the rollout was handled incredibly badly? Or is it actually shit at a fundamental level?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the right side of the spectrum feel it's a bad idea?! I hadn't considered that tbh.

I assumed anything that coerced "dole scroungers" to work was good. 🤔

Most of the complaints I've heard are from the people recieving it in one way or another.
- not enough money
- received too late
- less than I had previously
- takes too long to set up
Etc.

Didn't we all do the "piss our monthly wage up a wall in the first week" thing at first and then slowly figured it out / grew up?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the gist. 👍

It does seem though that you could be considered tarring all people on benefits with the same brush? Would you not agree?

I'm a bit more moderate. Similar thought process - but I'm also assuming that a percentage of people will actually use it correctly and learn to budget etc etc etc.

Anyone got any stats?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:37 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
introduce benefits charge cards, which can only be spent on essentials, not fags, drugs and booze.

Which would just create another black market.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I get the gist. 👍

It does seem though that you could be considered tarring all people on benefits with the same brush? Would you not agree?

I'm a bit more moderate. Similar thought process - but I'm also assuming that a percentage of people will actually use it correctly and learn to budget etc etc etc.

Anyone got any stats?

Unemployment isn't the issue really, it's just a symptom of shipping the jobs offshore. How many waiters, recruitment consultants, PPI callers and diversity managers can one country reasonably need?

As for UC its just about rolling benefits into a single wage and eliminating the benefits gap where benefits end and work begins, but by starting work you end up worse off. If you just claim unemployment then university credit = job seekers allowance, but if you claim a range of benefits then UC is different. Personally I would just go with the universal basic income approach and put the civil servants back into the real economy. If they want to offers people on benefits skills sessions either get recruitment companies to do it, or even ask private companies to help out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:18 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:
introduce benefits charge cards, which can only be spent on essentials, not fags, drugs and booze.

Which would just create another black market.

Is there a black market for exchanging luxuries for essentials though?

Sure essentials for luxuries but what's in it for the Black marketeer selling drugs for food vouchers?

Last edited by Monkeywrencher on 16:19 - 17 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Unemployment isn't the issue really, it's just a symptom of shipping the jobs offshore. How many waiters, recruitment consultants, PPI callers and diversity managers can one country reasonably need?

There are plenty of jobs around, a shortage is some areas, it has nothing to do with off shoring, unemployment levels are historically low values, what, it largely boils down to, unfortunately, is white british at least 2nd or 3rd generation living on benefits, not being prepared to work, and, certainly not being prepared to lose out, on uc & earning in work, for, which I do have some sympathy with. And, for all the bleating about pip, and how unfair it is, I know of 2 familes in our street that milk it for all it's worth, and trust me, there isn't really any valid reason for them to have it. At assessment time, they make themselves appear far worse than they are, 1 even went down the route of 3 appeals, to get the money back.. Just imagine if they'd put that effort into actual work, that would ultimately benefit society & the tax payer !!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Soon would be, just look at the market economy in prisons ...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:28 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Sure essentials for luxuries but what's in it for the Black marketeer selling drugs for food vouchers?

If benefits were paid as food stamps then there would be.

What's in it for the black marketer? Profit.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:33 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Monkeywrencher wrote:

If benefits were paid as food stamps then there would be.

What's in it for the black marketer? Profit.

Right so I've got my Prepaid card topped up with clothing and food points for major retailers, I want some drugs, does the dealer except spuds and jumpers, albeit at great exchange rates then go and sell them on a market every weekend?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:35 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Monkeywrencher wrote:

Soon would be, just look at the market economy in prisons ...

Are they swapping their toothpaste and crisps for spice?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a few people have mentioned that being on UC + going to work makes you worse off than just being on UC...

Can you clarify please?

I understood (possibly incorrectly) that the whole point of it was to tempt people back into work.

Can't you work as many hours as you like on UC as opposed to the max 16 now (where your benefits disappear instantly)?

How can working 30hours a week combined with UC be less than UC on its own? - this is what I don't get.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Right so I've got my Prepaid card topped up with clothing and food points for major retailers, I want some drugs, does the dealer except spuds and jumpers, albeit at great exchange rates then go and sell them on a market every weekend?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Do dealers accept spuds and jumpers? Rolling Eyes What do you think? They'll accept things that they want or that they can easily sell, so no, you're not getting any drugs in exchange for your spuds and jumpers.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's be honest, someone would soon crack whatever encryption they used on the cards and clone them / find a way of topping up illegally etc.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
And let's be honest, someone would soon crack whatever encryption they used on the cards and clone them / find a way of topping up illegally etc.

Do you have a debit card? How would this be any different?

It's a benefits account card, which can only be spent on certain products. If you want it to be non luxuries, just make retailers only take for VAT free goods. It would be easy to set their tills to do this.

Hmm, I think you are over simplifying. It would need to be substantially different from a debit card to limit it to specific goods. Not to mention all someone would need to do in your above solution is sell fags and booze under the table using barcodes for equivalent priced food and electricity. Very easily done.

And yes people do clone debit cards now, so I'm not sure about all of your argument tbh.

I'm not against it, but we don't have the infrastructure at the moment to police it. 👍

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:27 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Do you have a debit card? How would this be any different?

It's a benefits account card, which can only be spent on certain products. If you want it to be non luxuries, just make retailers only take for VAT free goods. It would be easy to set their tills to do this.

And then you'd have the wierd position that you would be able to buy a grot mag but not tampons.

Edit : and no jaffa cakes either.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Hmm, I think you are over simplifying. It would need to be substantially different from a debit card to limit it to specific goods. Not to mention all someone would need to do in your above solution is sell fags and booze under the table using barcodes for equivalent priced food and electricity. Very easily done.

And yes people do clone debit cards now, so I'm not sure about all of your argument tbh.

I'm not against it, but we don't have the infrastructure at the moment to police it. 👍

Some good points, cloned cards would still, as now, only have the same value in the account just split over more cards. It wouldn't be easy or cheap but then Universal credit is estimated to cost nearly 16 billion to roll out.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea in principle, but as usual, the implementation of carrying out brain surgery with a golf club.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Great idea in principle, but as usual, the implementation of carrying out brain surgery with a golf club.

George Osborne is to blame, and he tried to shift the blame onto IDS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2