Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seized wheel locknut (CAR)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

Ford Explorer with alloy wheels.
It's a nut screwed onto a stud, the 'key' fits into the nut a bit like an odd shaped Allen key if that makes sense. No matter how hard I push it in place with my knee it slips out when I turn the nut.

So what's the best way of shifting it? I don't think heating the nut would help as that would just loosen the fit of the key even more.

So far I've tried a Steelson wrench which can't get a grip, tapping the wheel/nut with a club hammer to try and loosen it, doing up the other nuts extremely tightly to get the load off of it, all to no avail.

Any ideas what I should try next?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can get away with hitting a "slightly" oversized socket onto it, but will more than likely destroy the socket in the process

As a last resort, try ringing round your local tyre fitters, as most will have the ability to remove it for a relatively small fee, i think i paid about £15 last time i had to have a stuck locking nut removed due to a sheared key, luckily it was the last one i was removing as i was replacing them

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

Why can't your Stilsons get on it? Recessed?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Why can't your Stilsons get on it? Recessed?
I can get the wrench on it, but the end hits the wheel rim so it's not straight on and won't grip tight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a bench vice on it and use that for levering?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

Put try putting tape/paper or similar round the edge to pack it out a tiny amount to get a tighter fit.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Put try putting tape/paper or similar round the edge to pack it out a tiny amount to get a tighter fit.
Genius! I'll try that.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-locking-wheel-nut-remover-2-pack/1889j

There's also sockets that adapt to the shape of the nut, e.g. Gator Grip.

No matter how you get it off, bin the locking nuts and put standard ones on. You'll thank me next time. Thumbs Up

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-locking-wheel-nut-remover-2-pack/1889j

No matter how you get it off, bin the locking nuts and put standard ones on. You'll thank me next time. Thumbs Up

These are good, but you need an air/impact wrench to get them to work with any level of success, it would be very difficult to get them to bite using a breaker bar or similar

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plusgas?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a torqx bit that is slightly too big and hammer it in. Use a breaker bar on it and go for it all or nothing. Dont be gentle.

OGR.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: nuts Reply with quote

simialr experience on an almera, the lad "lost" the special undoer....use stillsons but they wanted to slip on the chrome surface, but they all came off all ok.

How are you getting on??

if still stuck, post a pic so we can see what your up against.

All the other "nuts" on that wheel are all still up tight, yes ?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Seized wheel locknut (CAR) Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

It worked eventually, folded kitchen paper four times and hammered it in, then full body weight against it and a big breaker bar.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to do it again (or if somebody in the future is reading this) it also helps to use penetrating oil like Plusgas, lump it a few times with a hammer and try heating the bolt with a blowtorch.

As above though, I’ve come across similar situations and used the torx bit method with great success.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1