BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ACF50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:28 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: ACF50 Reply with quote

Winters around the corner. This stuff any good for protection against are marvellous weather?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: ACF50 Reply with quote

Soggz wrote:
Winters around the corner. This stuff any good for protection against are marvelous weather?

Apparently so but I used it, covered my bike in it, minus the brakes. It made the bike a greasy mess that the dirt stuck to and didn't stop my shock from corroding a few months into winter. Got that fixed under warranty right enough.
Might as well use WD40 if that's your thing.

I've got a new chrome-laden bike and I'm shitting myself as to what it's going to turn out like after the winter. I'm not one for polishing bikes, even cleaning is a grind.

Last edited by struan80 on 20:48 - 17 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good, to a point. Best results I've had are when I pay someone to valet my bike, and then spray it all on thoroughly and carefully.

Rattle cans, on a 125 I kept re-applying, and there was only so much success with a Honda CBF125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So WD40 is more or less the same? Just that I have a gallon of that stuff here and would save me buying something else!

I won't be using my bike to commute but it will be out on dry winters days when salt is around.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
So WD40 is more or less the same? Just that I have a gallon of that stuff here and would save me buying something else!

I won't be using my bike to commute but it will be out on dry winters days when salt is around.

No, ACF-50 OR XCP when used correctly is massively better.

Clean bike completely and dry. Apply wd40 anywhere you need to remove water from the wash.
Remove fairings and get in there with acf50 or XCP.
Run a clean cloth over the areas and use that cloth over the rest of the bike.

Put it back together and ride through the winter.

Other than cleaning the chain and wiping the lights over winter - leave it alone.

Come spring - give it a good wash. That's it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
It is good, to a point. Only so much success with a Honda CBF125

If they're the ones made in China or India from monkey metal they'll rot from the inside out, so an outer coating of whatever it is (wax?) wouldn't help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's wax. It's too sort of runny. Having said that, it thins out with warmth. But it froths weirdly.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:46 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

No, ACF-50 OR XCP when used correctly is massively better.

Clean bike completely and dry. Apply wd40 anywhere you need to remove water from the wash.
Remove fairings and get in there with acf50 or XCP.
Run a clean cloth over the areas and use that cloth over the rest of the bike.

Put it back together and ride through the winter.

Other than cleaning the chain and wiping the lights over winter - leave it alone.

Come spring - give it a good wash. That's it.

This^+1....... always worked for me 👍

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:07 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used acf-50 for years, good stuff ..

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice thanks. I had noticed a fair bit of gummy oily stuff hidden away where connectors were or other less seen bits. It's still there in fact. Must be the same stuff.

Might as well drink the WD40 then..

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:04 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Scottoiler FS365 to neutralise the salt Thumbs Up Just rinse the salt and crap off after a ride and reapply

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5LSxpoqcWo

He tests several "rust prevention" sprays (including ACF-50 and WD-40), fairly comprehensive too

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few folk who have put them to the test. ACF50 and XCP come out on top. WD40 isn't a corrosion inhibitor or lube (although it does provide limited protection), it's a water displacer.

The best way to apply it is to most it on if you have access to a compressor. If not then you can use a hand pump mister but best to let it sit in hot water to thin out the act as it's quite thick and doesn't mist well at low pressures. The other option is to just use a coated cloth and a paintbrush the reach the hard to get places.

It should be applied to a clean and dry bike and can go everywhere except brakes and chain. Once applied don't wash the bike again until spring. It'll look crap but when you wash it all off it'll be protected underneath. Washing the bike and reapplying just leaves bits unprotected in my experience. I've had the best results by not washing. You do of course have to keep the chain clean and lubed and it's worth giving the brake calipers the odd clean too.

The other thing that helps keep the bike good in winter is regular use. It's when it sits for a few days covered in salt that it suffers most, especially the chain. If your bike is only going to get the occasional leisure run then wash it after each ride. ACF and no washing is for daily riders only.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to clean my motorbikes once a month during the winter and anything more frequent than that is just not practical. Hosing the bikes down over a weekend does not count as a clean.

For those who have used acf50, do i have to reapply each time i hose down the bike? I have never used acf50 before.

I have also heard that removing it is tricky, how frequently does one give the bike a thorough clean and reapply acf50?

I've also heard of silicone spray being used to protect from corrosion. any thoughts on that?

My previous bikes were kept in reasonably good condition but I am kind of keen to keep my current bikes immaculate as they are both new Smile

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
let it sit in hot water to thin out the act as it's quite thick and doesn't mist well at low pressures.
+1 for this. When cold, it will squirt out of a mister. Sit in hot water for a bit and it does mist quite well, handy for getting good coverage in places you can't get your hand.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup pretty much wash it more or coat all over with acf/similar product. If its been really building up, ill hit the calipers with soapy water and a wheel brush before I put it away to try and prevent the seals going.

The fs365 seems a bit of a con, for that test he should have tested just washing a test sample too with car shampoo or whatever. You are doing pretty much the same thing.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting, obviously keep it off your brakes but also keep it off your footpegs! I went to ride mine out last winter and feet slipped off the pegs and I nearly stacked it

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
I tend to clean my motorbikes once a month during the winter and anything more frequent than that is just not practical. Hosing the bikes down over a weekend does not count as a clean.

For those who have used acf50, do i have to reapply each time i hose down the bike? I have never used acf50 before.

I have also heard that removing it is tricky, how frequently does one give the bike a thorough clean and reapply acf50?

I've also heard of silicone spray being used to protect from corrosion. any thoughts on that?

My previous bikes were kept in reasonably good condition but I am kind of keen to keep my current bikes immaculate as they are both new Smile

If you absolutely must clean your bike over winter, then do it with a damp cloth over fairings and lights only.

I'd recommend a full ACF50 re-application if you go whole hog and use soapy water or a hose.

As has been said previously - good clean - dry - apply - leave it alone until spring.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
This is worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5LSxpoqcWo

He tests several "rust prevention" sprays (including ACF-50 and WD-40), fairly comprehensive too

Thumbs Up Thanks. I've now ordered some XCP.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:26 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed I just ordered some XCP too, I have half a litre of ACF50 that I will use up doing other things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1