Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

before I change my tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:43 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: before I change my tyres Reply with quote

going to change my old crappy BT021s to new PR5s this weekend, before I change them what difference does difference size tyre make? I am very new to riding big bikes, currently running a 02 cbr6 on my london commute, current tyres are

front 120/70
rear 180/55

cheers
dom

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:14 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: before I change my tyres Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
going to change my old crappy BT021s to new PR5s this weekend, before I change them what difference does difference size tyre make? I am very new to riding big bikes, currently running a 02 cbr6 on my london commute, current tyres are

front 120/70
rear 180/55

cheers
dom

The difference is that different bikes take different sizes. Changing from recommended manufacturer sizes is crazy, especially on a bike that has one of the most common combinations of size. Your tyre choice is better than pretty much any other combination of sizes because it's so common.

No reason to change size. The only reason you might want to change size is if your bike uses a size that is no longer manufactured (my KR1S for example) or if you've got a 170bhp+ racebike and want to try a 190 section rear for grip reasons. Even then the logic is a little tenuous unless you're a BSB level rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct sizes for f4i model, going from a sports tyre to a sport/touring will feel different. How much are road5 compared to road 4? Heard a lot of praise for road 4.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

good to know the sizes I quoted are the correct sizes for the f4i, I am not at all interested on racing around London so would rather just stick with what is recommended Mr. Green the reason for the change is my rear gets quite slippy in the wet and many have mentioned the 021s as being crap.

I would go for PR4s but getting a local shop to supply and fit as prefer to support local business and they only have the PR5s now, I believe the PR4s are now discontinued?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

021 doesn't compare to a pr5 for grip for all year round. T30 would be closer.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

are you saying the T30 is better than the PR5 all year round? wet dry etc? I don't want anything like the 021 as I found them bad and others put me off them, the tyres on my 125 were better

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:22 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

are you saying the T30 is better than the PR5 all year round? wet dry etc? I don't want anything like the 021 as I found them bad and others put me off them, the tyres on my 125 were better

I assume he's saying that in order to get the grip you'd get from a PR5 you'd need to upgrade your Bridgestones to a T30. Personally judging by the amount of praise heaped on the Pilot Road 4 and onwards, I'd be happy going with them without even having tried them. In fact, I think they'll be prime candidates for my VFR once the current Maxxis tyres are dead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I had the BT021 then then moved on to the BT023 on my fz6. I found both to be pretty lacking, I mean they were fine but did not instill confidence with quite a few instances of loss of traction. After asking for suggestions on here I went with the PR4's and the difference was night and day as far as grip goes, in the wet and dry.

My front is coming to the end of its legal life but still holds well, by this point with the 023 I had a 50pence piece profile which made cornering somewhat less enjoyable. Laughing

I did look at the 5's but I was replacing both tyres at the same time and was on a bit of a budget at the time.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MarJay says, pr4 and 5 seem to be universally liked. I've used the bt023, t30 and pr4s, all been fine. If 5s are a step beyond 4s then would be my choice. I also found 023 tyre squared off quite harshly. For me, the price is immaterial if the tyre gives more confidence.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gone from PR4 to road 5's. I thought I'd find it hard to be impressed with the Road 5 after using the PR4 for a couple of years and when the guy who fitted them said that they claimed that a half-worn road 5 would out-perform a new PR4 I was sceptical.

After riding on the Road5's for a few weeks in all weathers I can only conclude that they are fecking awesome. Definitely a step-up from the PR4, and a mile up from a BT021.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I've just gone from PR4 to road 5's. I thought I'd find it hard to be impressed with the Road 5 after using the PR4 for a couple of years and when the guy who fitted them said that they claimed that a half-worn road 5 would out-perform a new PR4 I was sceptical.

After riding on the Road5's for a few weeks in all weathers I can only conclude that they are fecking awesome. Definitely a step-up from the PR4, and a mile up from a BT021.

I hadn't heard any real feedback on the PR5 until this.
However, hopefully, now PR4s will come down in price a bit so I'll stick with those for a while before switching.

I look forward to the day no one ever comes on here again and says "I've got BT021s on my bike" !
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:16 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only just started making PR4s in some sizes recently so I doubt they have been discontinued.

I fuly intend to fit 5s when they do them in my size. For now the PR4 had been a revolution, especially in the wet. I have two mates on 5's now and they back up the hypoe that they out-perform the 4s.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little annoying when 021s are compared to road tyres. They weren't put on 'sports' bikes to be a commuting tyre. Compare them to sporty Pirellis or Metzelers and they do ok. They've also been superceded by other tyres now. I wouldn't have enjoyed riding my zx7r or fireblade on long life commuting tyres as much as I did on rennsports, but I didn't moan that I had to ride carefully in wet conditions.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
It's a little annoying when 021s are compared to road tyres. They weren't put on 'sports' bikes to be a commuting tyre. Compare them to sporty Pirellis or Metzelers and they do ok.

Are you saying they were a pure sports tyre? I think not. They were sold and promoted as sport-touring tyres.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0425/2633/products/front_dfcc0f9c-9f73-4f87-8abb-3a9abc2d19fd_2048x2048.jpg?v=1476868754

I would agree that they are an old model now, and it's not fair to compare them to more recent sport-touring tyres, yet still we see them crop up again and again.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I wouldn't have enjoyed riding my zx7r or fireblade on long life commuting tyres as much as I did on rennsports, but I didn't moan that I had to ride carefully in wet conditions.

No idea what you mean if im honest, zx7r with Pilot Road 2's (ST tyres), 8k miles and 2 novice track days, knee dragging no problem on every corner. They were down to the white cord by this point though.

edit: should clarify, by the end of 8k miles they were showing cord, not on the track days!

Last edited by bacon on 20:23 - 18 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zx7r came around in 199something....putting decent tyres on it now would obviously make a difference. When I had mine, 1500 miles from a rear on a sports bike was fine. Riding down to the carcass in the middle was for idiots.

What they call tyres and how they perform is why we all come on here.... I'm not advocating any tyres.... usage and rider make huge differences. Imho Avon are shit, they make inflatable boats designed to slip over water, and that's how I find their bike tyres!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Zx7r came around in 199something....putting decent tyres on it now would obviously make a difference. When I had mine, 1500 miles from a rear on a sports bike was fine. Riding down to the carcass in the middle was for idiots.

What they call tyres and how they perform is why we all come on here.... I'm not advocating any tyres.... usage and rider make huge differences. Imho Avon are shit, they make inflatable boats designed to slip over water, and that's how I find their bike tyres!

Ah, I had my 7r in 2009, so pr2's were just out and were fantastic.

I guess the mid 90's ST rubber was rather wank

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:52 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

got the PR5s on the CBR now, difference is night and day to the BT021s, feel like I am stuck to the road and ride is much smoother (obviously still taking it a bit easy for the first hundred or so) but big big difference, will wait on some rain now and see how they are

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Remember that any time going from worn tyres that are likely well off shape to new tyres that are nice and round, a lot of 'feel' will seem a lot better from the new tyres.

You can only really tell if you are actually "stuck to the road" if you're regularly losing traction - which generally isn't great Smile. But appreciate tyres can feel not so good.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: before I change my tyres Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

front 120/70
rear 180/55

cheers
dom

Did you get the Road 5's fitted? I've been using PR3's for years now and absolutely love them on my gixer but will be looking to upgrade soon.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

G wrote:
Remember that any time going from worn tyres that are likely well off shape to new tyres that are nice and round, a lot of 'feel' will seem a lot better from the new tyres.

You can only really tell if you are actually "stuck to the road" if you're regularly losing traction - which generally isn't great Smile. But appreciate tyres can feel not so good.

Nope, not if your going from a racetec front** to a PR4. Its like a fighter jet becomes a double decker bus. I do not like this slow profile, although perfect for the coldest bits of winter.

** Reasonably well worn, 3500 miles commuting and part worn on track before me.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with everything said so far about the R5's. Had them for around 2000 miles now and they're still as great as when they went on. They must have worn of course, but they still look pretty new and no hint of squaring off. Oi bloody loves 'em, oi does.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: before I change my tyres Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

front 120/70
rear 180/55

cheers
dom

Did you get the Road 5's fitted? I've been using PR3's for years now and absolutely love them on my gixer but will be looking to upgrade soon.

yeah had them fitted this weekend, been riding daily since, love them

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the road, I've been enjoying the avon storm 3d xm (extra mileage) sport touring tyre on the blackbird.

very surefooted in all weathers, and I got them for an absolute steal

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: before I change my tyres Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

front 120/70
rear 180/55

cheers
dom

Do eeet. Do eeet naaaaow!

My riding is characterised as an enthusiastic commute, in any weather except snow/ice.

R5 > PR4. I liked the PR4, but after 1500 miles on the R5 I concur they're better feeling in the corners in the dry. Both are quick to warm up, but the stiffer carcas and or profile of the 5 makes it a touch more 'sporty'. PR4 front worn a bit funny on one edge, but I've refurbed the forks since so I can't really say why. I didn't notice any bad handling symptoms though.

Wet weather; I've not pushed it enough to say there's any real difference.
I'm going to try some hard braking tomorrow now though, to get the feel, so hopefully there's no corresponding entry in the spill thread.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2