Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Mash Dirt Track 650 On it's way !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: New Mash Dirt Track 650 On it's way !! Reply with quote

Hi All

Found this yesterday, the flat tracker look doesn't neccessarily appeal to me, however, must be a chance of a 'Roadstar' version, which I would be very interested in ..

https://www.facebook.com/MASH.Motors/

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101612

From what I've been able to work out, it's manufactured by Shineray, and it looks like the engine is based on the Honda Air cooled XR650 engine. I have been more than happy with my Mash 400 Roadstar, so, I am looking forward to seeing a Roadstar version in the flesh !

Of course, they will have to price these competitively against the new Royal Enfield 650's, which these would be competing directly against, but, if the build quality is as good as it is on my 400, these should be very good bikes !! - Now, just get that 'Roadstar' version out !!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that but if it's a single it's not going to be competing against a 650 twin road bike in my eyes.

Why oh why didn't they put a twin in it, big singles make pretty shitty road bikes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar flat tracker style of bike to mine albeit the mash wouldn't get near mine performance wise if it had all day
to think about it. Plus, given the headlight design, I'd imagine every one you see will have a number 6 on it. I change
my numberboard decals every few months. Currently showing 73 as it's the year I was born. Being able to change the look
really easily is one of my reasons for buying the Sport Tracker variant.

The USA flag can fuck off as well. It's not even an American bike.

Otherwise, I like it, ish. But i would be losing the knobblies too, were I to ever buy one.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a handsome bike.
I agree about getting rid of the American touches, they would go if I bought one.

They’ve done a good styling exercise there.
A 650cc single cylinder piston jumping up and down is a lot of vibration Shocked .
Does it have a balancer ?

Let’s replay what I keep saying about these Chinese bikes....... is the manufacturer going to support their product ie warranty, spares, etc.

It is refreshing to see a Chinese manufacturer working on bike production that is NOT nasty little cheese laden 125s.
Good on you Mash/Shineray/???

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: New Mash Dirt Track 650 On it's way !! Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Is it me? Or do the two guys in the background look like they have just pulled that bike out of a ditch? Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like that, ditch the yeehaw USA shite and I would most likely buy one. Although my first bike was a Shineray that went rusty whilst sitting in my dry garage for a couple of weeks so fingers crossed that their build quality has improved!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
........ Although my first bike was a Shineray that went rusty whilst sitting in my dry garage for a couple of weeks so fingers crossed that their build quality has improved!

Well, here is what my 400 looks like, after 3 and a bit years of riding, in all weathers, pic was taken yesterday ..

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash_xy-400_roadstar_2015_20180928_02_all_saints_church_-_claverley_2.jpg

Not crumbled to rust dust !!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these bikes related to or made by the same company as the AJS bikes? (not the real AJS). I ask as it's sometimes hard to tell with all these brand within a brand Chinese bikes who makes what?

I happened upon a classic bike and retro clothing shop while away last weekend. In the window was a new AJS 125 cafe racer type thing. I did have a good look at it just to pass the time really, and It still backs up my previous thinking of Chinese bikes being a strange mix of quality and naffness all in one.

Paint and chrome finish look good, as does the wiring and cable routings etc. The features are certainly eye catching in appearance like rear disc brake, piggyback shocks, digital instruments and EFI.

But it's the details that let it down for me, rough looking wheels, and brackets/spacers, with very messy welding and almost too much material around tabs etc (like they aren't confident of the grade or properties of the steel tube). The zinc plated bits look less than quality or like they'll have issues with furring up more quickly etc. And then those piggy back shocks, they look the part with gold anodised reservoirs, but being non adjustable how well do they work?

I'm not being overcritical IMO, and I know my own 1980's Japanese 125's are not the last word in component quality or neatness of finish etc. But they do look much neater and the small parts are either better finished or coated with a robust but not over engineered look.

I guess this reverse engineering and copying of old Japanese style and technology is ever improving, and they are coming up with their own ideas for style and looks more now too. But Id have real doubts about a Chinese brand say deciding to build a motocross replica for the road, that has the DNA and tested strength and design of an MX bike and could take the same abuse or loadings without something breaking.

I know it's a daft example, but you wouldn't want to ride an MX event on a Chinese brand new bike to the market that's had no previous experience or tested to extremes basis for its development.

Being positive though, the 18-plate Lexmoto CBR125 lookalike I saw recently did look nicely built, and was very trick looking with a chassis spec that's better than the Japanese bike probably? I think I'd be happy in 2018 to send my kid out on a new Lexmoto and be confident it would be a decent and solid bike for a few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Are these bikes related to or made by the same company as the AJS bikes? (not the real AJS). I ask as it's sometimes hard to tell with all these brand within a brand Chinese bikes who makes what?

I doubt they are the same manufacturer as AJS, as AJS tend to use jianshe, or at least jianshe engines, so, have more of a Yamaha lineage.

Mash, use differing suppliers, in some ways a little more like Lexmoto in that sense, for example, 400 series, are Shineray (Honda based engines, and structure to varying degrees manufactured, whereas, say the Black 7, is Qingqi manufactured, who tend to be more Suzuki related.. Where, I can see some confusion, is between the Mash Black 7, and the AJS Cadwell/Tempest, look like differing powerplants, but, the same structure, possibly. Certainly very similar if not the same frame !

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I quite like that, ditch the yeehaw USA shite and I would most likely buy one.

As a purely fun, sunny weekend bike, I would be tempted, but even as a Yankophile, the stars n stripes crap doesn't do it for me either.

Can that (use the chequer motif from the tank, if they must use anything) and toss the number* as well; factory number boards should be blank, we like to personalise our rides, not turn up at a gathering and find everyone has got the same thing.

* My lucky number is 4, I don't want a 6 on my bike Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought you needed mudguards with a scrambler. You're going to get a dirty arse. Laughing

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Mash update Reply with quote

Nice to see the new importers for Mash are now a proper motorcycle business - ThreeCross Motorcycles at Wimbourne. Should put any spares concerns at rest,although I've had no problems so far.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are also the importers for SWM also Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1