Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fashion for silly sounding exhausts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: fashion for silly sounding exhausts Reply with quote

There seems to be a craze amongst todays yoof to run cars that splutter pop and bang like the fuelling and timing is having a nervous breakdown. I'm curious as to how they make a car sound so out of tune yet it's still drivable?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is it's not drivable. It's easier to convince yourself that a car is faster than it is to believe you've ruined it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:36 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the trumpet exhausts on cars, reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4reewr9Cc

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the "fashion" of fitting a melon chucker exhaust and Halfords finest tat died in the mid 2000's.

Or is it a retro, sorry "throwback", thing now?

ಠ_ಠ

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older young people that have been driving a couple of years and afford modern used or new PCP'd hot hatchbacks are the main culprits here.
The skint 17-18year olds with basic small engine first cars have always had drone zone exhausts or straight through exhausts without silencers (I believe they call them race tubes these days) on their 1.1Polo's/Corsa's etc. But these arnt the biggest problem with your issue of loud popping/banging annoying sound.

Your looking more at the 20-30year olds all living at home with their relatively expensive hot hatches. They are sadly all turbo charged these days and a few things are happening:

1, Many of the manufacturers are deliberately building in popping and banging on the overrun into these cars, by intermittently cutting sparks. They think a new car that pops and bangs sounds good and attracts buyers as well as emphasises the obvious performance of their cars. Fit an aftermarket loud exhaust to these cars and the bangs get louder.

2, Everything is quite highly turbocharged and thus runs rich at WOT to protect the engine. This can cause the occasional pop or bang of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, again a big bore straight through exhaust makes it much worse. Though std production cars like Golf R's do it anyway probably due to a combination of points 1&2.

3, Turbocharged cars again, guess what? Alot of them are being re-flashed and ECU tuned for more easy power without hardware changes. Often again cars on finance or PCP before being returned to std when it's time to give them back, and the owners hope the dealer never finds out what has been done while they were thrashing round for 2/3years. The ECU tunes can again be designed to give much more aggressive popping and banging deliberately by the tuners by introducing intermittent fuel and spark cut.

4, Driving style. These young people of the turbo everything generation have learned that when driving them if you momentarily floor it under load just before lifting off the throttle to change gear that gives a bigger and obviously cooler bang or popping.

I don't want to sound hypocritical, as my own car being an old school turbo petrol occasionally pops or bangs, but much more often it shoots a small short flame out of the exhaust or waste gate tube when driven hard sometimes. Its largely down to poor/rich mapping which when I get a good ECU fitted/mapped should dissappear largely.

I was refreshingly surprised to see a non obvious young persons car all modified with a loud exhaust and some bodywork modifications yesterday. A nice little NASP Fiat Panda 100hp. Its not an obvious car for young people that want to modify, more like a good city car/all rounder hatchback for people my age.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying nothing....Shifty

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess at age 45 ... my S2000 ( 9krpm NA) with a decat and twin 5" slashcut exhausts and an open cone long arm filter puts me out of favour too which is a shame, cos i bloody love the way it sounds.

I agree, those Focus things sound like a broken rally car but whilst i think it's a bit OTT, it's still a nice thing to hear something compared to all the boring humdrum alternatives.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1