Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back to the Motorbike; I've made a mistake

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pclay
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:00 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Back to the Motorbike; I've made a mistake Reply with quote

Hi

First post here, and it great to find a UK based motorcycling forum.

I am male, aged 40, and I used to ride a motorcycle for about 3 years when I was 19-23. Back in the day, I did my CBT, then my test, and after 2 years my license was automatically upgraded from restricted to a full cat A.

I had only ever ridden a Honda CG125, a Honda H100 and a Suzuki GP100.

About 6 weeks ago, I was speaking to someone at work about how I would love a motorcycle again. I was reminded that we never get any younger, and with that, I went out and purchased a 2015 Honda CBF125. I think this is where I made my mistake.

Within about 3 miles of riding the CBF125, I realised that you never forget how to ride a bike. I think my mistake was not going for a bigger capacity bike, somewhere in the 500-650cc range.

I have now done 200 miles on the CBF125 and I am looking to upgrade to a Kawasaki er6-n, or perhaps an older Yamaha Fazer or even a Honda CB500f.

At my age, I would like to think that I don't want to do 100mph everywhere I go and that I have some self preservation in me. Therefore I feell that going to a 650cc will be the right step. Is this a wise choice?

I am not too fused about test rides, I would be happy to get a bike just from sitting on it. I would buy 2nd hand from a trader rather than a private sale (warranty and all that).

And, what do I do with my CBF125 (2015 with 5000 miles on the clock)? Should I part exchange it and take a couple of hundred quid loss, or try to sell it privately. I reckon I can get £1350 for it privately (I paid £1500).

Last edited by Pclay on 12:56 - 01 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Back to the Motorbike; I've made a mistake Reply with quote

Unless you made any changes to that bike, it shouldn't be worth much less (if any) than you paid. Assuming private sale the first time.

I think something with a bit more shove could be appropriate, but be careful. It's kind of true that you won't forget how to ride a bike, but the roads are different to 20 years ago. The volume of traffic is much, much higher, people seem to be ever lowering their standards of driving and that adds up to a massive amount of change that you need to see and understand. Doing it while approaching 100mph is possible, but it only takes one surprise and you will find part of you has added a red tinge to the paintwork of a shiny chelsea tractor moments before you can't open your eyes any more.

Bikewise, you're not in a bad place in that you have one. I say enjoy that for a while more.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it and move on when you are ready.

£150 loss to see if you still like it isn't a huge dent and it's a gentle introduction back into bikes which is no bad thing.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer's the best choice in your list, it can be a pussy cat or a tiger in equal measure depending on how you ride it. I also started riding in my forties and never regretted getting a Fazer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Back to the Motorbike; I've made a mistake Reply with quote

Pretty much any modern-ish 500cc - 600cc will happily sit at 100, but you don't need to do so, it is under your control.

Likewise, if you fancy a 1000cc you don't have to take it to it's top speed, however it may feel a bit boring or a bit of a waste having 1000cc just for an afternoon potter round country lanes.

If at any point, getting onto a bigger bike, most training schools will happily charge a small fee to follow you around for a bit chatting in your ear as to how you could have done something smoother and simply check that your riding is of a safe standard.

There's a lot of bikes in the 500-600cc range to give lots of choice from the good all round Hornet and Fazer through to more adventure bikes such as the V-Strom, sports bikes like the ZX6R or R6, or if you fancy it, the Royal Enfield range

On this forum we're a bit skeptical of the dealer warranty on used bikes as we've had a number of members find it's worth not a lot, it's usually possible to find a member local to you happy to come along and look at bikes with you and double check the condition it's in, just ask.

with regards selling yours, you'll manage it privately, get an advert made up with photos and details etc, pop in your local bike garage (one that only does repairs) and get it up on the notice board, likewise local training school, it's a 125cc, there's always someone looking for one.

Pclay
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to a used dealer this weekend to sit on a few bikes to get a feel for them.

And I am also going to look at a Yamaha XJ6N which is close to me, being sold privately with full MOT 8 years old.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started back at 40 and now two years on i've had

Burgman 400 (2005)
Honda Hornet 600 (2002)
ZZR 1200 (2002)
YZF600R (1998)
Fazer 1000 (2002)
VFR 800 (1998)

I still have the last three on that list but if i had to pick only one i'd go for the Fazer. (only had the VFR two weeks so far).
Whichever bike you go for you'll enjoy it as a step up from the 125.

drkbishop
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Fazer's the best choice in your list, it can be a pussy cat or a tiger in equal measure depending on how you ride it. I also started riding in my forties and never regretted getting a Fazer.

Same as me.

Got my Fazer with 15k on the clock 4 years ago, now has 65k

Still not bored of it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:03 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made the mistake of buying a naked first time around.

at least you learned from it.

go test ride a few. even though you are 10 years older you might surprise yourself and get a sportsbike..

or a cruiser

each to their own

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my bikes over 500cc were half faired or fully faired machines. Now 10years on from owning my last sports bike, I feel like I have missed out on upright naked powerful bikes, and if put back in the position of wanting or needing a big bike, I'd like to think I'd only consider a tough looking naked with a big exposed engine.

I've never tried to do 130mph+ sat bolt upright like a sail, and while it's not very important to me now I like the idea of a big naked bike that'll do this easily without being bothered in the slightest. I do get that a 100mph+ blast to the south of France would be very tiring on such a bike, but such distance at such speeds doesn't interest me in the slightest anyway now.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice of bike is interesting... a newish cb500f or er6n is light years away from a 20 year old design fazer. They handle better, feel lighter and have 2 less cylinders. The fazer is 1/2 faired and for touring on will be a lot more comfortable. I'd be looking at everything out there and riding a few different bikes before even looking in my wallet.

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad ended up upgrading to a Fazer and loved it. Was in pretty much exactly the same position as you and wanted a bike with a bit more oomph.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:06 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been riding many years and owned bikes from the slowest to the fastest. My current 1000cc machine is quick but practical. Speed is more about getting there than top end. Telling your mates your bike will do 180 mph is less useful than a very quick overtake when you need it. Obviously compared to a 125, a bigger machine is more flexible. I find 600's a bit weedy when out on the open road. Litre bikes but not too heavy are about the optimum for me. Of course overkill kicks in if you only ride locally. My advice is ride a few bikes bigger than you think. Comfort, smooth acceleration, slick gearchange and nice handling are important. As you are a grown up, ride a grown up bike. You may grow out of even 500-600 cc bikes quicker than you think. I am pushing 70 now. Being fastest away from the traffic lights is not vital to me - but I like a bike that can do it when called upon. Enjoy your test rides.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What changed, I thought you needed a 1300cc bike for your riding safety as litre bikes were not grunty enough without a down shift?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1