Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Correct tyre sizes for a CCM 404 DS (supermoto)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Correct tyre sizes for a CCM 404 DS (supermoto) Reply with quote

OK I've been kinda dreading asking this but being the font of knowledge that Bike Chat is, I know I'll get some great responses.

My bike - a CCM 404 DS. It's the supermoto version which is just about bog standard.
Winter is here and the bike will be overhauled during the colder months.

I've hit a sticking point - the tyres. They're old and dual sport thingies. I want to replace them with the correct sized tyres for the bike - it currently runs:
Front - 120/70 R 17
Rear - 150/60 R 17
I don't think they're the correct size? The original bike manual doesn't help me here and the net tells me ' On this model the Front Tyre size is 120/70 - 17 and the Rear Tyre size is 120/70 - 17'.
Is that what I should be looking for??
With those older tyres it didn't feel great when cornering - the front felt fine but the rear was slightly reluctant.

Here's my plan..

* The bike will never be used for off road. If I ever fancy doing that then I'll simply get some enduro wheels that some CCM 404 bikes could come with.

* The bike will be for warmer weather use only. It's not an every day hack.

* I'm wanting road tyres. Legal tyres that will pass an MOT.

* I want tyres not so much for speed but more for handling. I'm thinking sticky grippy tyres where economy and useful mileage is low. I dunno, say 3k miles per year? (I honestly don't know how long tyres should last these days)

* Their use will be mostly dry but I will be caught by rain too so I need to consider that.

* Budget? Ha! Nothing too silly for it but no cheapo stuff either.

Some things to consider too - I'm after awesome handling and cornering. I want the bike to feel good going into corners and I also know that to get the best tyre combo I might need to go up some sizes more than standard? That's OK but I need the handling to be good.

The bike has spoked wheels. It has innertubes. I will be fitting and balancing them myself.

This request will likely start some 'interesting' debate on manufacturers - I'm immune to that and will let you all argue. Like I said, I simply want to learn.

I'm all ears!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar bike in that I have fitted a 120/70x17 front and a 150/60x17 rear.These tyres were determined by the size of the rims ie.the front is a 3.5x17 and the rear is a 5x17.The tyres that I chose were Pirelli Diablo standard compound,although softer Corsa compound items were available.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20160224_161354_zps5oai3qni.jpg~original

I bought them on-line and fitted and balanced them myself.I just needed to take care with fitting so used rim protectors on the black anodised rims.

I have read that Michelin PR3s are available in the same sizes Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bump in my trousers looking at that bike.

Yeah this is the thing - all these tyre names, compounds etc are a bit of a mystery to me. I need a good talking to where someone will explain it all honestly and without bias (think that's the correct word).

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask away.Plenty of people on the enduro/supermoto page who can advise.

As for the tyre sizes,have a look on the rims and see if you can see a rim width.This will determine the size of the tyres you can fit.

Although I have a Pirelli Diablo 120/70x17 fitted,if I had the choice now I would fit one of these for £88 with free delivery

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/michelin-pilot-road-3-120-70zr17-58-w-front-tl-m-c#230924369

If you prefer a Pirelli for the rear,these are available in the 'R' rated build instead of a 'ZR' speed rated tyre.Not bad for £84 delivered

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-150-60-r17-66-h-rear-tl-m-c#231785797

Always have a 'Plan B'

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Ask away.Plenty of people on the enduro/supermoto page who can advise.

As for the tyre sizes,have a look on the rims and see if you can see a rim width.This will determine the size of the tyres you can fit.

Although I have a Pirelli Diablo 120/70x17 fitted,if I had the choice now I would fit one of these for £88 with free delivery

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/michelin-pilot-road-3-120-70zr17-58-w-front-tl-m-c#230924369

If you prefer a Pirelli for the rear,these are available in the 'R' rated build instead of a 'ZR' speed rated tyre.Not bad for £84 delivered

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-150-60-r17-66-h-rear-tl-m-c#231785797

That's interesting - had guessed there might be some information on my bike rims but hadn't looked closely. It's currently under dust sheets and buried in a corner of a shed while I revamp my work space in there.
Will take a better closer look during the week.

It's the cross over with my bike that's proving to be most difficult. The engine is DRZ but the rest a mix of everything! For me I just want to get things right and take it from there.

Those links are useful. I guess what I'm asking is a reverse review leading towards a purchase. With the tyres you linked to the first few reviews are agreeing with my requests - summer, wet/dry grip, lifespan etc. The prices are way within budget (if it's needed then I'd pay the extra) and look promising.

Will rearrange things here this week and go hunting for rim numbers.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:10 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Correct tyre sizes for a CCM 404 DS (supermoto) Reply with quote

120 and 150 seem right.

I used to have a 404E with the official SM rims.
160 was a little too wide.

Definitely not 120 front and rear.

Not that up on modern tyre choice, but anything new sportyish will probably handle okay - if you've got old tyres on there, quite likely it's the wear causing the issues.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT090’s on such a light bike I reckon.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
BT090’s on such a light bike I reckon.

Pretty sure I had them on mine at one point and they worked well - but didn't know if they were still being made.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah still use them on my 400, lots of grip, cut up on the edges with track use but good tyre.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. This is what I'm after.
Will check my rims tomorrow.

The 150 fitted nicely and did think 160 would be touching a bit. I'll be keeping the info from this thread to advise me when it comes to purchase time.

These old tyres are knackered. Plenty grip but the front is starting to split through age. The rear seemed good and would warm up nicely but I want new rubber on. Safety first and that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1