BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oxford Advanced Touring Hot Grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 45 quid premium version. I might well wire them up to a relay though, especially if the auto shut off is a bit dodgy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I fitted the grips and they work great, but I didnt want to glue them on in case of a fault for warranty, so I used hairspray, works fine till they get hot then I get a slight bit of movement.
Ive got some ally foil tape to shim them a bit tighter and use a stronger hairspray, once i crack that the muffs can go on.
Mark

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
If anyone is interested, MCN or running an offer this month on their 12 month subscription, £85 for 51 issues, with a free set of Oxford Heated grips worth £79.99 (rrp)

Not bad if you already get the occasional issue of MCN

Again, I dispute the "worth" 79.99. That may be the rrp but if you had a set, youd never get more than half if you tried to sell them on. Even then, the buyer would be getting a bad deal.

£10. Delivered. Gets you a better product, even if you throw in the mcn shite.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
If anyone is interested, MCN or running an offer this month on their 12 month subscription, £85 for 51 issues, with a free set of Oxford Heated grips worth £79.99 (rrp)

Not bad if you already get the occasional issue of MCN

Again, I dispute the "worth" 79.99. That may be the rrp but if you had a set, youd never get more than half if you tried to sell them on. Even then, the buyer would be getting a bad deal.

£10. Delivered. Gets you a better product, even if you throw in the mcn shite.

Well it's clearly a bad deal if you have no intention of reading the paper, but if like me, you already buy the paper each week, then it's a bloody good deal, even if i were to sell them straight away for £40 (which is what i am considering doing anyway, as i don't particularly need heated grips) Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted direct to battery, which is LiFePO4 chemistry, so was a bit wary of how it would work.

Kept checking the voltage and upped the idle a touch to make sure it's ok while hanging about at traffic lights. The auto switch off battery monitor works great.

Connectors are o-ring and screw cap so should be nicely protected from the elements. The mounting bracket, supplied screws and collars were ideal for the cbr, mounted next to the choke on the clutch lever bracket. The control unit is plastic welded shut so you can't open it up, time will tell but it looks like it will hold up.

Not particularly cold today, 50% was plenty hot enough. It warms up pretty quick.
I've taped the levers with black electrical tape, as they were sucking any heat out of my fingers.

Recommend, especially at £52. Thumbs Up

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I got the 45 quid premium version. I might well wire them up to a relay though, especially if the auto shut off is a bit dodgy.

If you already have a decent crimping tool, non insulated connectors etc then defo fit it to a relay. So much safer

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I should say that for all my praise of the oxfords, I've always used a relay. Autocutoff warning light comes on idling when it's proper cold if my battery is weak.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Oh, yeah, I should say that for all my praise of the oxfords, I've always used a relay. Autocutoff warning light comes on idling when it's proper cold if my battery is weak.

Using a relay just makes sense but if you aren't DIY minded you have at least some protection with the low voltage shut off.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an electrical noob I followed Stinkwheels old post with wiring in a relay. I highly reccomend anyone interested in bike wiring start with his guide and installing a relay.

I invested a little bit of cash, not much maybe £30 in total, on a set of crimps, a pack of 5 relays, some different colours of 17A thin wall (black, red, green, think 10m of each), male/female 3.9mm bullet connectors, some double female bullets, spade connectors, piggy back spade connectors, m6 ring terminals etc.

All uninsulated, that's the key, your blue, red and yellow shit is useless here.

The uninsulated connectors have plastic covers, I use dielectric grease on my connections too. So they should be fairly resistant to water ingress and corrosion too.

Anyway I'm going off on a tangent, so far I think the Oxfords are doing the job well. Long term use will see how reliable and how accurate Kramdras comments are.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had them on mine, they worked well better than the chinese ones i've tried before

pretty sure the difference between touring, sports etc is the length of the wire an maybe grips.

on Max they were too hot through my winter gloves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted mine today, the muffs arrived a couple of weeks ago so I think I should be all set for the winter now. I got the ones that were on offer from M&P for £40.

I fitted them with a relay, taking a feed from the tail light as it was the easiest wire to get to. I got it right first time too Very Happy . They seem well enough made, I had to bash the control unit bracket about a bit in order to get it to fit but it all looks good and nothing looks too out of place.

I even managed to give the bike a treatment of XCP too so the bike should be feeling well loved.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 332 days between these two posts...

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:42 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new rider, the early cold mornings plays havoc with my hands and I know if I want to continue riding in the winter months I'm going to need heated grips.
There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating how to install them to the battery. But as my CB125 R is only a month old and I don't want to void the warranty doing it myself.
But I just received a £223 quote from a Honda service centre and realise nothing is cheap with bikes.

Last edited by hume on 06:31 - 04 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:47 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hume wrote:
As a new rider, the early cold mornings plays havoc with my hands and I know if I want to continue riding in the winter months I'm going to need heated grips.
There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating how to install them to the battery. But as my CB125 R is only a month ol don't want to void the warranty doing it myself.
But I just received a £223 quote from a Honda service centre and realise nothing is cheap with bikes.

Or... you could take it to an independent garage? The trick is to not do anything that is irreversible.

£223 is daylight robbery. My local place would have charged about 50 quid for it.

Where are you based?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

fecking ell, I'm handy with relays and the like.

£223, more like £22, absolute rip off, they are scum for quoting you that.

Like the robbing Vauxhall twxts who charged my wife £200 for a £25 oil and filter change.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:36 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
hume wrote:
There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating how to install them to the battery. But as my CB125 R is only a month ol don't want to void the warranty doing it myself.

Or... you could take it to an independent garage? The trick is to not do anything that is irreversible.

£223 is daylight robbery. My local place would have charged about 50 quid for it.

Where are you based?

I am based in South London. I would be willing to go anywhere my CBT license permits.

hume
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:52 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
fecking ell, I'm handy with relays and the like.

£223, more like £22, absolute rip off, they are scum for quoting you that.

Like the robbing Vauxhall twxts who charged my wife £200 for a £25 oil and filter change.

The rep who sold me the bike said it needed to be serviced after it's first 600 miles. The service fee is £170.
I don't know whether the servicing of the bike has to be done with Honda in order for the warranty to still apply?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like genuine (warranty friendly) Honda branded parts which will likely also have a 2 or 3 year guarantee.
I have genuine Yamaha grips on my bike, I had them fitted while the bike was being PDI'd. They were dearer than some
makes but I didn't care because they look nicer with no separate control box to find somewhere for.

Usefully they are universal fitment to anything with a 22mm bar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Yamaha-Motorcycle-Heated-Grips-Fits-all-makes-with-22mm-handlebars/141833853090?epid=27034142438&hash=item2105f4d8a2:g:ihcAAOSwK6RZFH3c

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ihcAAOSwK6RZFH3c/s-l400.jpg

Last edited by grr666 on 14:48 - 04 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Sounds like genuine (warranty friendly) Honda branded parts which will likely also have a 2 or 3 year guarantee.
I have genuine Yamaha grips on my bike, I had them fitted while the bike was being PDI'd. They were dearer than some
makes but I didn't care because they look nicer with no separate control box to find somewhere for.

Usefully they are universal fitment to anything with a 22mm bar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Yamaha-Motorcycle-Heated-Grips-Fits-all-makes-with-22mm-handlebars/141833853090?epid=27034142438&hash=item2105f4d8a2:g:ihcAAOSwK6RZFH3c

I had OEM on my Triumph; similar price I think. Yes, expensive, but they are essentially invisible - one tiny button, but uses the existing MFD to display settings so a much neater install than having an Oxford controller.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack, I wanted to get some but my bike has 25mm grips and these seem to be all 22mm? Is the only option the "hot hands" instead?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 05 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Sorry for the hijack, I wanted to get some but my bike has 25mm grips and these seem to be all 22mm? Is the only option the "hot hands" instead?

Any cruzerfag style should go on, e.g.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/261106

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:18 - 06 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, must have missed those, why did they have to be more expensive Laughing
Looking at my bars, anything slimmer would seem quite bendy Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2