Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do winter tyres exist? Any technivs to regain control?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:50 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok conciosly didnt use front brake at low speeds. Relying on back and engine to slow me down from 20-0. Also used back a bit to slow down for corners. What speed should I switch to using the front brake as my primary brake. Is it mostly for going from say 60 to 40 or should I use it faster than 20?

I guess I was filtering as its the same roads i used to ride on my pushbike and I feel (over?)confident riding up to 30 mph as been doing that for years.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:47 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the CBT sylabus, its one of the fundementals, why dont you know this?

Braking; in the dry, 75% front, 25% back, in the wet, 50/50 ALWAYS front before back.

There's no 'speed' above which you switch to front over back, you should always be using the front first... so WHY dont you know this? Is this one of them things that you didn't really take in during the cram of the course, you are now thinking "Oh Yeah! I forgot that" or was it genuinely not covered... in either case, begs the question what else wasn't fully explained or recieved from the course... more home-work required.

Push-Bike over-confidence?

Y-e-r-s.. like I said, accidents happen when confidence gets out of wack to competance.....

You are riding a motorbike now... it has a registration plate on the back, so they know where you live.... it aint a 'pedestrian-propelled-vehicle' you dont have to have a licence for, insurance for or pay road tax, that you can 'get away' picking and choosing what bits of road-law to follow on the spot... like jumpiung red-lights, or riding on the pavement etc etc etc....

Like any other pre-existing road user, you bring 'transferable skills' from it to motorcycling, but along with them, often an AWFUL lot of added bad-habits... and what you might get away with on a push bike.... of which filtering probably ISN'T chief amongst them, and is one of the top causes of even cyling accidents, especially tendancy to filter on the kerb-side, and few cyclists can get away with all that long... it's a 'habbit' you gotta break.

As said, the time you 'might' save by filtering is at best negligible, and you could get to work as, or sooner, JUST not waiting that time it takes the kettle to boil for a second cuppa before you leave. Risks on the other hand, are enormous, and the main 'imperative' that makes folks filter is as often as not merely the psycological imperative to 'feel' like they are doing something, and 'taking control', not a martyr to fate, sat in the queue.... remember, we are NEVER 'really' in control, we are only a passenger with influence; we have charge over brakes, throttle and steering, we don't have charge over what that idiot or the thousand others like them, are going to do at that T-Junction or roundabout, or what they, or nature, have dumped on the road fifteen minutes before we get there, like 'rain' or ice, etc etc etc.....

Patience! Rushin' be fast way to hurt on a motorbike!

And you is Learner... you just had a couple of lessons, the hard way, by the old-skool of hard knocks.. which going it alone on a 125 and L's is how its done... IF you continue making it up as you go along, and trying to learn from your mistakes.... remember, mistakes on a motorbike, usually mean falling off, and falling of TENDS to hurt, AND cost.... its not the most 'efficient' way about learning... and in the mean-time, like push-biking, you never really learn, from the start how to do stuff 'right'... just what is obviously wrong... and can ingrain an AWFUL lot of 'Well, it works for me.... so far...." bad habbits, that come tests, probably have to be eradicated, and longer they are allowed to ingrain themselves harder that gonna be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter tyres are definitley a thing, but winter rated tyres may not be as good as a decent touring tyre. You only realy need the if you're dealing with mud and snow. My freinds and family are scattered across the sticks, so my usage might even be 98:2 for winter tyres on the car. It was a hand me down from my mum and came with cheap generic tyres on the back and winter tyres on the front. It was unpleasant in the 5C or so coldwet of autumn. I forked for michelin crossclimates precisely becsue of that one week or so a year when riding the bike is suicide. Yeah, winter capable all seasons and and A rated wet grip. A big improvment, but I'm still quite surprised at how much worse my small hatchback is compred to my blandit.

Michelin Road (previously Pilot Road) series tyres just stick to the road and are perfectly happy in the coldwet of low single digits. Not that i'd recommend hooning it up in such conditions. Choice on a 125 is not so good. ive been there. Listen to recommendations for a decent tyre that fits.

Are you sure you didn't find a diesel patch? Diesel on the ground with any tyres is scary as hell and can be hard to spot.

But if you've just got a CBT under you more training will help. You just can't teach someone to ride and not die in a few hours. it might be enough pointers to start from but it's not enough. But Mod1 training will teach out how to properly swerve and stop. And the distances and behaviours are achieveble in standing water, although you might need to get persuasive with an examiner to take a test in foul weather.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:08 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these on my GPZ500s:

https://en.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/modules/reifenliste/view.php?lang=en&point=5&rtyp=17&profil=102&pic=59

In the snow they allow me to get up a steep hill to my place. Normal tyres just sit there spinning.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:08 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna try a1 as soon as my money comes in purely for the training and even if I fail I will learn stuff and it will be on my bike.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna try a1 as soon as my money comes in purely for the training and even if I fail I will learn stuff and it will be on my bike.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to tackle one part of the first post that seems to have been ignored, once the bike is going over, you're better off letting it go than trying to catch it. The former is a recipe for hurt pride, the latter is a recipe for back injuries, I know which I'd rather have!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Do winter tyres exist? Any technivs to regain control? Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Hey so I came off twice earlier today both times less than 5 mph on the same road in heavy traffic. I felt the bike going and put my footbdown but still dropped the bike. Is there any technics that I can do to regain control or should I just drop the bike and hope for minimal damage?

Also as I dropped the bike duo to wet conditions are there wet weather tyres I can put on it to make maintaining controleasier.

Lastly will doing DAS actually stop me coming off or am I coming off because I lack experience?

Training awlays help but IMO your bike may be unroadworthy (suspension issues) or tyres may be wrong, with too much wear or not inflated as should be.

Check you have right tyres: https://www.bits4motorbikes.co.uk/YAMAHA/YAMAHASR125(1068)tyres.html

Have you actually checked the pressure of your tyres?

Manual say 1.75 bar (25 psi) front 2.0 bar (30 psi) rear tire.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/611279/Yamaha-Sr125.html?page=43#manual

Same pace you say are you sure there is no metal manhole cover there or any other road issue?

Small bikes are more unstable and even small road cracks/holes/durt/debries may do you wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Oh-Kay.... "Winter Tyres'...... well, that's a car 'thing' and peculiarly an American 'thing'.

"No" is the simple answer; and in cars and in the US it's something of a perversity, born of legislation in some states that have laws demand cars be fitted with "Winter Tyres' in winter months.

Away from that legislation, what the americans oft refer to as a 'Winter-Tyre' is more properly called a 'Mud & Snow' tread pattern. On an off-roader like a Landie, that would probably be something a tad more rugged than an 'All-Terrrain' tyre, but needn't be as rugged as a full mud tyre, or a 'paddle-track' or 'bar-tread' tractor or dumper-truck tyre... and they tend to only work 'better' in certain circumstances, in the case of a Mud & Snow tyre, in mud or snow! On tarmac or hard rock or gravel they can be abismal and worse than a more conservative street or even milk-float remould (see later anecdote)!!

On Bikes.... the generic off-road tyre is the knoblie..... in trials, like wot I have been perfecting falling off for four decades..... the 'regulations' stipulate a 'control tyre' with a maximum block heght and spacing, which isn't actually all that 'rugged'. In motorcross and enduro, they are allowed to run 'full-knoblies' which might have six-inch rubber stilleto's for tread, designed to dig in to the surface, where the trials knoblie is an all round tyre designed to grip the surface not quarry it....

Historically these were fitted to road-based 'Trials-Bikes', and they are NOT particularly brilliant on tar-mac, and in recent years the vogue of the 'adventure sport' has lead to tyre makers making much more road-biased 'of-road' tyres, like a sports-bike slick with bigger relief groves..... personally, I consider these like the bikes, a dirt-style tyre rather than one designed for off-road, but it's all in the aspirations and applications, I suppose!

Heading towards an answer, when you get into it, these tend to be described or rated by thier 'off-road' bias as say a 70/30 or 60/40, off-road to road tyre, note more road biased, than a trials tyre that would probably be rated at around 50/50 or the other way 40/60.

A-N-D pertinant to you.. we live in the UK.... weather tends to be pretty crud all year round, and the roads not much better! If you are riding on the roads, then the 'best' tyre is a conventional 'road' tyre.

Off-Road anecdote on topic of milk-float remoulds.... trend in off-roading, taking a Land-Rover down a muddly track, people are convinced that they HAVE to have the mega-rugged Pampa 'mud' tyres that they see the challenge trucks in the mags shod with....

Some years ago, I was leading a School teacher who had renovated an old Series III shorty in the summer holidays, shod with milk-float remolds 'cos tyres for a land-rover is expensive.... I was in Range-Rover on 'street' all-terrians, and had a chap in a challenge wannabee 90, on Pampas, come over, shake his head when I insisted we'd get through a mud-hole, and say, "Yeah, Oh-Kay, well, I'll go attach the strops to pull you both out".. An I am not too sure who was more amazed when the little SIII chugged gently out the other side... its owner, having followed advice to keep off the throttle and hands off the steering wheel and just let the truck chug through finding its own way.... or the chap playing with his HD recovery gear.....

It's a very modern trend to try 'Buy' your way through problems, rather than learn the 'skill' to contend with them....

Tyres is case in point..... good tyres are good, but they are only half the solution, other half is skill, and its the more important half.... as with the Landies, without the skill, the more capable tyres will just let a numpty get further into trouble before they realise they are in trouble.....

Back to original question...

First off the thin tyres are actually an advantage... if you want technical, the amount of grip, or force the tyre can transmit in pure friction, is a pure % of the weight force clamping the tyre to the road... 'theoretically' the area of tyre in contact with the road doesn't come in to the equation... it does, later when it starts getting more complicated... but perversely... at the base level grip is the weight times the co-efficient of friction... and that's pretty much it... you want more grip? Get heavy or fit a stickier tyre....

A-N-D tyres get pumped up to a certain pressure.. on both mine its about 30psi... that's thirty pounds-per-square-inch... my 125 weighs about 280lb.. strick me on it too, I weigh about 200lb... that's around 500lb... at 30psi, that will squash the tyres until there's about 15 square inches of rubber, between the two tyres, pressed against the tarmac....

I can fit tyres as fat as I like or as skinny as I want.... it wont make one iota of difference to how much area of rubber is squashed against the road.... Bike still weighs 280lb, I still weigh 200lb, and the pressure would still be around 30psi.....

The Reasons bigger, heavier bikes have an advantage or three.

First, they tend to be heavier; my Seven-Fifty is almost twice the wight of my 125, so it has almost twice the force clamping tyre to tarmac before you start... yes it has fatter tyres.... THIS does not give it more grip... it gives it more tyre... which when you have a big heavy bike on top, means that it can spread the load a bit through the extra rubber, which means that the tyre 'should' be more stable and longer lasting.... yes, the extra weight at the same pressure will squash more rubber into contact with the tarmac, BUT that extra area isn't the main reason for any more grip, which it may or may not have, it's entirely down to that extra weight squashing more tyre, and the extra weight providing extra clamping force.

Next up... that extra weight... well Force = Mass x Acceleration... or back-to front, acceleration is force divided by mass... less mass you have the less acceleration you get for any applied force... so, a bump in the road makes the bike 'jolt'.. that bump causes a deflecting force trying to shove the bike in a direction it wasn't going... heavier the bike, the less 'effect' that bump will have, as the force has to move more mass.... this 'can' make a heavier bike that much more 'planted' and stable on the road, less wont to react so much or so fast to any deflecting forces, like bumps, or road irregularities or clumsy newby control inputs....

Here-in lies the most likely culprit.... clumsy newby control inputs... aided and abbeted by cheap economy and likely rather old and hard tyres, but still.....

The Learner-Lurch.. I will describe in the 'launch' maneuver pulling away from a start, and its where the mantra "Neat Feet" comes from... but it applies throughout....

Learner... lets out the clutch and gingers on the throttle; as bike starts to move they leave their feet behind, because they forgot the No1 lesson of CBT, the 'safety position'; left foot down, right on the peg covering or applying back brake... but they have forgot that, and feel more comfy with two feet hovering over the floor...... so as bike starts to move, these feet are left behind and they think maybe to lift them up..... BUT.... oooh... bit hesitant, we aren't going very quick, bike might fall over.... need foot on the floor to stop it toppling..... A-N-D so the errors start to compound....

I am about 90Kg depending which way the winds blowing, that's roughly 75% the weight of the bike.... and over 1/3 of my weight is beneath my wast, in my legs.... so, IF my legs flap around on launch, on the 125, that is around 20% of the all-up weight of me and the vehicle RANDOMLY flapping around, that mass subject to the acceleration due to gravity causing a force, making the whole bike try and wag! Same lummox on top of the Seven-Fifty.... same deal, but now the bikes twice as heavy and the amount of mass flapping around in my legs is a much smaller proportion of the all up, and so has a much smaller effect.... add the fact that the bigger bike is also longer, and less agile, and it all adds up, to make it so much more smooth, the weight of the bike damping so much numptiness....

BUT... learn to launch a lightweight... means getting them feet up, on the pegs ASAP, NO FLAPPING. Now feet planted on the pegs, there's not so much weight randomly wobbling around, trying to make the bike chance direction.... more... because the bike is more stable and not wobbling so much, the rider doesn't seem to need to react to that wobble and correct anything... steering leaning backing off the throttle, ALL adding to the competing chaos of forces trying to make you crash.....

Small aside; riding a bike, is an allegory for life; We sit in the middle of a whole host of competing forces, ALL seemingly malevolent trying to make us crash, and we KID ourselves that we are 'in-control' as long as we don't.... the reality is that there are so many forces, so many imponderables, like SMIDSY man, or road-slime, and so little we actually have any real effect over, in throttle, brakes and steering, we are little more than a passenger with influence... and not a lot of influence at that.... but still.... the trick is to make the absolute MOST of the tiny control we have, and NOT think we are 'in control'... we aint! So dont get cocky!

Another Mantra; Crashing happens when confidence and confidence are widely in variance; either revin-kevin, all cahoots they have sussed this riding malarkey, giving it the berrys, OR nervouse-nancy.. teriffied of everything, convinced they are gonna muff it up... in either case, that mis-conception is what will likely cause the trouble, and Revin-Kevin will go great guns and dump it in a hedge on a bend they didn't slow down enough for.... and probably live to tell hero-tale about it, whilst ironically, Nervouse Nancy will most likely do something like slow down too much, too early, terrified of spotting a car nose in a T-Junction, convinced it will SMIDSY them, BUT, giving the car the 'false' signal that they are slowing to let them out, A-N-D misreading that signal WILL pull out and SMIDSY them! Which hurts... means paperwork, and TENDS to be a lot more serious than Revin-Kevin limping home pushing bike with buckled wheel covered in mud.... but still....

So... sat in the middle of a net of competing forces, kidding yourself you are in control, when you are actually no more than a passenger with influence......

YES, its easier on a bigger, heavier bike... usually... that extra weight damps wobbles, and flatters numpty riding.... BUT learn to do it on a light-weight, where its down to YOU and you alone to be smooth, be confident and NOT create the wobbles a bigger heavier bike might damp for you.... get on a bigger heavier bike, them wobbles aint there to need be damped! Bike no need to flatter numpty riding, 'cos you aint numpty riding! SO, that mass, that stability, means you have that much 'more' help to dodge SMIDSY and ride without so much worry on the road.

You have a 125, this is what they are best at, teaching you to do it for yourself and not expect the bike to do it for you or flatter your riding, and build REAL confidence... so stick with it... time on a tiddler is rarely wasted... and you got one, its insurance will likely be a PITA to transfer to a bigger bike in under a year anyway, so you may as well milk the thing for what its worth....

BACK TO TYRES!

SR is going to be pretty old by now, they haven't made any for best part of two-decades, what tyres are on it is unknown, but as low-cost commuter odds is they aint the best, they aint the stickiest and they are likely 'old' and hard.....

Good 'New' tyres, and by that I dont mean something off-e-bay but a known brand, like Dunlop or Mitchelin... I dont think they do them any-more, but I can thoroughly recommend Michelin M45's on a lightweight, they are about £90 a pair, double or treble the price of ecconomy brands, but OH so worth it, and a pittance in the all-up costs, for how long they last... especially considering how soft and sticky they are.. I think they have been superseded by a Pilot, which has less 'tread' and looks more like a slick sports tyre, but has the same soft rubber compound.... and I haven't tried so cant vouch for them, but they don't look so bad a bet.

And that premium on the price? Think of the cost in comparison to handlebars you dont bend, brake levers you dont break, and road-rash you DONT have to rub salve into.... it IS good value. Its a falce ecconomy to try stint on tyres on any bike, but a lightweight that doesn't have the weight to make grip or damp numptyness, its is oh-so much MORE beneficial..... especially when you are a learner trying to figure it all out and dont need any more variables or uncertainties than you got!

BUT, back to the neat-feet, good tyres are worth thier weight, BUT you still have to do your bit, tyres wont do it for you..... and accidents happen when confidence is out of kilter to competance....

When you came off...... it is odds on that regardless of how wonderful or not the tyres might have been... bottom line is that yo muffed up, if only failing to make allowance for less than brilliant tyres.... but, very good odds that you over reacted some-where and caused unnecessary wobble, panic snatched brakes or violently wrenched handlebars, or threw your weight the wrong way... and more that you did that because you either failed to road far enough up the road and predict what you needed to react to, and or over reacted, reacting too much, too early, to too little....

Curiously you don't mention bending a car door or anything in your off... this would tend to suggest either you are an incredibly nervous nervous nancy..... or an incredibly devil-may care revin-kevin.... I would hazard a guess at an over cautious nervous nancy.... which would beg the suggestion that the MAIN thing you need is saddle hours and confidence, which good tyres can help offer.... as much by placebo effect as anything, but who cares as long as it saves the gravel rash! Take any help you can! In which, the biggest gain, after the hit of good, confidence instilling NEW and reputable brand tyres, WILL be from getting GOOD experience... which tends to mean NOT falling off, and lots of it, cranking the miles.... its two-prong attack, some technology in the tyres, but most in the learning and skill, and getting 'smooth' and learning to look up the road and predict hazards before they can hurt you.

In which, DAS training may be a help, BUT DAS training is mostly teaching you how to pass a motorbike test, it isn't necessarily teaching you how to spot the dangers on the road, or dodge them in every situation, in every weather, OR to be smooth... does tend to build confidence quick though, which may help, as long as you dont let it get too far ahead of competrance...

Back to you... its your arse kimo-sabi.....

But No, there's no such thing as a 'winter' tyre, really, even on an american car, in Mitchigen, where they'z law!

There are so many wrong bits in this that I'm not going to answer them individually.

Winter tyres are any tyre designed to work optimally in temperatures below 7 degrees.
M+S marking as opposed to an M+S pattern, although it has been used for years to indicate a winter tyre doesn't necessarily mean the tyre is a winter tyre unless it also has a 3PMSF 3 peak snowflake marking.
An unmarked M+S will be better than a summer tyre but is really an all season tyre rather than a winter tyre.

Rather than being made for the American market the first winter tyres were made in Europe by Nokian and are required for various European countries and Alpine regions in Europe between certain certain dates.

There are winter tyres available for motorcycles but the models and sizes are limited.
Sava make a selection of tyres mainly for scooters and smaller bikes. Heidenau also make winter tyres for small to mid range bikes and a few larger winter bikes.

Tara

It looks like you live in the South East so temperature is unlikely to be a major factor in you coming off although that isn't to say it wasn't.

Check your tyres pressures, let us know what manufacture made them and what model they are and we can probably give better advice.

<edit>Anlas a Turkish company now make winter tyres for mid to large motorcycles including sportsbikes.</edit>
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2