Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2001 vfr 800: starting problem - please help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chrislubbe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:45 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: 2001 vfr 800: starting problem - please help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am having ignition problems and would like to ask for some assistance.

I have inherited a 2001 vfr 800 in perfect condition from my late father. Before he retired to the coast it would always be my pic of his toys for Sunday breakfast runs and ran wonderfully on the 2500km trip down to the coast to celebrate his retirement. (the other bikes were his 1200gs and 1150rt, which he and my brother rode down. Mom towed the k100lt and r69s with us). The reason for the long introduction is to show that there is immense sentimental value in this bike for me.

The bike has not been ridden since August 2017. After replacing the battery, it would not start. My mechanical knowledge is not great, but I have done the following basics; new spark plugs, oil and filter change, new air filter and a coolant replacement.

The bike turns over well with the starter, and I have checked that I am getting spark on the plugs (only checked the front two though). The fuel pump does run when the ignition is switched on all the fuses are in good condition.

Following a few cycles with the starter miter, I can smell unburnt fuel.

Sadly the bike won't start though, and I would be most grateful for any guidence or advice?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:14 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be a wee bit latchy to start after a longer layup.

On the model before yours, you sometimes need to run some fuel through the float bowls but yours will be FI...

Make sure you are NOT touching the throttle as you try to start it. Make sure the chike is fully on, make sure the kill switch is set to run (they will crank over with the kill switch off). If it was me, I'd get a car battery hooked up to it and give it a good 30 seconds on the starter. They usually spluutter a bit fire up on 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 and then hit a fast idle. If you touch the throttle during this process, it will immediately die again.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain as much fuel as you can
Put fresh fuel in
charge battery
Crank lots to get old fuel though
You may need to lift tank and use easy start to air filter to get it going
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1