Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Painting a flywheel ok?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Painting a flywheel ok? Reply with quote

Just after any opinions on painting a flywheel or if it's a nutjob idea?

I had some light surface rusting on my steel flywheel, so I treated the rust and rubbed it back smooth being careful to not touch the pickup tab.

Is a couple of light dust coats of VHT silver as some protection a reasonable idea? I'd keep the pick up clear and as long as the flywheel doesn't rub on anything in use I can't see it being a problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine are we talking about?

If it's an external flywheel, sure, paint away.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy special enamel paint called Glyptal which is specifically designed for painting the insides of engines.

It comes in red.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You can buy special enamel paint called Glyptal which is specifically designed for painting the insides of engines.

It comes in red.

I'm just wondering if it could come off and cause blockages in oil galleries and ducts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little steel scabby Kawasaki KMX external flywheel. But as you say if it was a nice stationary, agricultural or marine engine then a nicely painted flywheel would look cool.

I just want to protect it against future corrosion, so I might just dust a couple of coats of Wheel silver over it, after masking off the ignition pick up tab.

I suspect the bike had been used off road in a previous life and got water inside the generator cover, which is probably why the old stator looks like it's been to the bottom of the sea.

I've got a new Stator coming for £294, it's only about £40/50 more than getting a re-wind done and that'd take weeks at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1