Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed Reply with quote

Hi,

I've bought a PCX 2019 model, or 2018, whatever they call it. I have requested Oxford heated grips to be installed but it seems to be they are behaving strangely since they are too loose regardless if I tighten the throttle cable. I have attached the video. Basically, the throttle goes back to it's place and you can still close it further (you can see on the video how much further I can close it). I started the engine to test as well, when I release the throttle the engine is idling correctly, but that additional loose space is annoying. Do you have the same thing with the original grips or Oxford heated grips?

The video is on the link https://youtu.be/KrQC31Chhio

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the heated grips, it's the throttle cable adjustment. They either need adjusting or the close cable (if fitted) may have snapped.

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's not the heated grips, it's the throttle cable adjustment. They either need adjusting or the close cable (if fitted) may have snapped.

There is a close cable, I can see it on the engine (not snapped) but at the handle bar there is only one nut to set the adjustment. I tried closing it to the full but then the throttle cable is getting stuck when released so what you see on the video is a perfect balance that I was able to find but I am still surprised there is so much loose space.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:16 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heated grip still has nothing to do with it though. It sticks onto the outside of the twistgrip mechanism.

Looking on ebay, at PCX cables, you have an open and a close cable. Both have an adjuster at each end. The nut itself is just a locknut to stop the adjuster turning. The adjustment is where the end screws into the housing

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

or is the heated grip not been glued on properly?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The heated grip still has nothing to do with it though. It sticks onto the outside of the twistgrip mechanism.

Some do. Some have their own throttle tube build in. The last Oxford ones I had were the latter. Slightly wrong profiling on the bit of the throttle tube where the cables seat meant it could push a bit past the stop.

So if the original throttle tube was used, its an adjustment problem. If a new throttle tube came with the grips, it could be a part that just doesn't fit. Better to try a different brand of heated grips with the original throttle tube.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Hi,

I've bought a PCX 2019 model, or 2018, whatever they call it. I have requested Oxford heated grips to be installed...

Hard to say from the vid, but there is normally a specified slack of 2-3mm of free throttle travel when adjusting cables according to manufacturer specs. Yours looks to be about 5mm.

Did you point this out to whoever installed them yet? They might inspect/adjust for free if you've only just had it fitted. Possible bar end is rubbing on grip. Main thing to check is not too tight, and turning the bars lock to lock doesn't interfere with the revs, and cable runs don't rub or get trapped.

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 19:51 - 04 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Hi,

I've bought a PCX 2019 model, or 2018, whatever they call it. I have requested Oxford heated grips to be installed...

Hard to say from the vid, but there is normally a specified slack of 2-3mm of free throttle travel when adjusting cables according to manufacturer specs.

Did you point this out to whoever installed them yet? They might inspect/adjust for free if you've only just had it fitted. Possible bar end is rubbing on grip. Main thing to check is not too tight, and turning the bars lock to lock doesn't interfere with the revs, and cable runs don't rub or get trapped.

The bike got out of the shop on Saturday so will report it to them tomorrow and take it back for a repair. I'm sure it should be covered.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:23 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Some do. Some have their own throttle tube build in. The last Oxford ones I had were the latter. Slightly wrong profiling on the bit of the throttle tube where the cables seat meant it could push a bit past the stop.

Well, well, well. You can always rely on oxford products to come up with new and exciting ways of fucking up something simple!

Like disc locks you can open with a biro and "lifetime" luggage with a lifetime warranty on everything but the zips, which the tags come off after 18 months and fail entirely after 3 years.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm currently trying to use their Hothands heated grips - the ones that wrap around the existing grips, because new bike is pretty.

The only slightly problem is that they've printed HI-OFF-LOW on the switch housing, but only put a two position switch in there, so the options are cold or painfully hot. This is my second set of them, and they're going back when I get round to ordering some heated gloves from Gerbing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:37 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Yes, I'm currently trying to use their Hothands heated grips - the ones that wrap around the existing grips, because new bike is pretty.

The only slightly problem is that they've printed HI-OFF-LOW on the switch housing, but only put a two position switch in there, so the options are cold or painfully hot. This is my second set of them, and they're going back when I get round to ordering some heated gloves from Gerbing.

Get the symtec ones that stick to the bars under the normal grips then. Only the littel bit of wire stickingout shows they are there at all. They also have high, off and low. Use the 6-pin, 3-position switch of your choice. Low they are in series, high they are in paralell.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1