Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you get bored of motorcycling?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Do you get bored of motorcycling? Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
TL:DR... sort of lost the love... how do I get back?

Whereabouts in south Wales are you and have you ever tried riding off road? One thing I love doing is green laning on a modern (although very bland and gutless) klx250. If there is a decent network of accessible trails where you are, get an inexpensive trailie and use it. It might be best to make contact with your local TRF to suss out where you can ride. But me and a good mate go once a week from september to april and even though we rarely see north of 30, and our particular network of trails takes about two and half hours to complete, we always have a laugh and end up at the cafe with daft smiles on our phizzogs.

Hard to say what's so enjoyable about it. When I first started doing it a few years ago I was terrified by some sections - they just looked impossible. They were actually pretty easy by any estimation - but unfamiliarity and a lack of bike skills generally meant that certain bits really tested me. Now though, I make reasonable progress. That said, when the going's heavy to soft it's different again. In fact, it's often the case that our local trails change from one month to the next - and the lines you took before have to be changed when you tackle it again.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:08 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for wrong choice of bike.

I get bored when I have a very capable bike with good wind protection. Even more so when it's a blandly efficient Japanese 4-cylinder bike. Might as well take the car.

So I stick to unusual naked bikes which take a bit of effort, and are wholly unsuited to some kinds of riding. Means I have some trips (any kind of long motorway run) where I take the car, and others where I take the bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:39 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackdays.
Also; enduros.
(And trials, pit bike supermoto, minimoto, speedway, etc Smile ).

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are,

I'm bored as fuck of commuting on bike in London, its an absolute chore. Dodging between Sanjeeb the murderous minicab drivers fiddling with the 17 different phones stuck to their windscreen, Vlad and his Polski Lorry who's currently deep into his 4th bottle of Wodka of the morning, Chantelle and Tyrone driving their sole kid the 0.2 miles to school in their BMW X5, the roaming gangs of feral acid chuckers and stabber bike nickers, Ronnie Pickering wannabes, and doddery old Doris whos been driving since 1934 and isnt going to give up now damn what the doctor says! And then on top of all that theres about 1.7 million sets of traffic lights, speed bumps, traffic calming measures and speed cameras per square foot of road here.

Its an absolute misery and sucks the joy out of riding.

However its a 10 minute commute on bike, vs 45+ minutes by car.

Hate it, absolutely hate it and hate this shittiest part of a shit country for riding.

However as soon as I leave London, nice big wide open country roads going back down south, on a hot summer day, glorious. Or going on a Euro-jolly with a bunch of mates, its brilliant.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Do you get bored of motorcycling? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

. That said, when the going's heavy to soft it's different again. In fact, it's often the case that our local trails change from one month to the next - and the lines you took before have to be changed when you tackle it again.

Yeah - it's like on our regular routes we rarely ride the same lane twice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Do you get bored of motorcycling? Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

. That said, when the going's heavy to soft it's different again. In fact, it's often the case that our local trails change from one month to the next - and the lines you took before have to be changed when you tackle it again.

Yeah - it's like on our regular routes we rarely ride the same lane twice.

That reminds me of dem pre-socratic pointy heads, Heraclitus and Cratylus. The former said a man cannot step into the same river twice, and iirc Cratylus said he can't even step into the same river once. I've never been too sure what was meant by that - may be that the person taking the step is themselves always changing as well as the river into which they're stepping. I digress. Laughing

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Another vote for wrong choice of bike.

I get bored when I have a very capable bike with good wind protection. Even more so when it's a blandly efficient Japanese 4-cylinder bike. Might as well take the car.

So I stick to unusual naked bikes which take a bit of effort, and are wholly unsuited to some kinds of riding. Means I have some trips (any kind of long motorway run) where I take the car, and others where I take the bike.

I think my approach to the UJM IL4 is what you do with it, changing things from stock. Not all of them appeal to me, but some I can see potential with, which is why I have one now. I've usually done something to pep them up a bit when I've owned them, but out of the crate, yes, they can be a bit dull I think, especially modern ones - I think the MT10 is the only one that currently appeals to me. But to me, reliable doesn't mean dull. I want to ride the thing whenever the mood takes me, not be forever fiddling with it to get it running right, or worried I'll be needing breakdown cover when I am out on it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on reliability. The bit I find boring is when a bike is so capable that I never have to work it hard, and I'll rarely get anywhere near the limits of its potential. If I do get towards those limits, I'm probably going to hurt myself shortly afterwards.
Even more so when the bike has a fairing that allows me to stay on the bike at silly speeds, because then it only feels fast at silly speeds. A naked bike always makes it feel like you're going really fast. Add an open-face helmet and 50 feels like 100.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I agree with you on reliability. The bit I find boring is when a bike is so capable that I never have to work it hard, and I'll rarely get anywhere near the limits of its potential.

Well, mine is no sports bike and you do need to put some physical effort in to get it to corner fast, so you come away feeling like you had something to do with it, which I like.
But I think you're talking about modern sports bikes, in which case I think I would agree entirely. But I can't ride em anyway.
What it shows I think, is that you can't lump all Jap 4s into the same box. It's part of the appeal of the MT10 for me - sounds a bit looney, and without a fairing you're going to know about it too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An IL4 fan boi?
Trying to justify their favourite format of bike to themselves and others?

I ain't ever going to admit or tie myself down to to any particular type of bike, but I will admit that in 80's&early 90's sports bike mad Britain that IL4's were about where everything was at. I can find any type of bike boring or engine format tbh, and yet I really appreciate the many more varied types of bike we have now that the 80's Jap rider just didn't have at their disposal.

The only thing I can really say I'm a bit biased towards now is tall trail/enduro and motard style bikes, I think this is firstly that I feel done with sports bikes and don't see their place on today's roads. Secondly I think the off road bike riding position and ergonomics are as natural as riding a horse and thus typifies the natural go to bike that I grew up on and am most familiar with in my history. In the same way that many American riders would be familiar with and have a natural affinity to high bars and forward controls of a custom or cruiser.

I guess the difference between me and Chicken strip is that he has after many many bikes found a nice place to call home and an ideal machine for his needs. If you only road ride or have never been into off road bikes in your past you're unlikely by generalisation to ever feel anything for or any need to have or like a trail/trials/enduro or supermoto bike.

We're all different folk, but I hope I never settle on one type of bike or engine configuration and say that's it I'm done.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I, and a few have said, it is almost certainly the bike, and, over time that feeling will likely change, you might think you want another of a bike you've had in the past, but when you get it, it may not quite float your boat as you expect, or, as it used to.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I guess the difference between me and Chicken strip is that he has after many many bikes found a nice place to call home and an ideal machine for his needs.
We're all different folk, but I hope I never settle on one type of bike or engine configuration and say that's it I'm done.

I'm realistic. I'm not made of money, can only afford to own one bike (and not even that lately Sad ), so I have settled on what covers most bases for what I like, which is road riding.
Don't get me wrong - if I had unlimited funds, I'd have unlimited bikes, different configurations - note that the last time I had two bikes (which wasn't long ago), one was a triple, which I liked. I've had various configurations of two strokes in the past, and miss those. I've yet to try a good V2 (the SV doesn't really count, although I even enjoyed that for a short while).
Since I can only have one bike now, I want it to be reliable. Jap 4s tend to fit that bill rather well. And they're generally cheaper to maintain, less demanding on the wallet.
But also, my dodgy shoulder limits what I can ride. The shoulder wouldn't take the pounding of off-roading. Can't comfortably reach the bars for sports bikes. So I've lost interest in those things. It would be pointless, me trying to maintain that interest. So I've had to adapt, and find other ways of keeping the interest in bikes, and thus far been successful at that Very Happy
If you are in a position to, I highly recommend trying different things. It used to be what kept my interest going, or a big part of it anyway. There's even a part of me that still agrees with GSTEEL's recommendation of having a bike that scares the pants off you when you ride it. Been there, done that, would do again! (but not for too long Laughing ).

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:56 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the original question...

NO, never.

I'm surrounded by stunning roads, hate driving my car, have no interest in hanging around airports and calling it a holiday. Kids are grown up and gone, mortgage paid and a multitude of other reasons that make sense only to me Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I don't drive, so I sometimes have no choice but to get somewhere by motorcycle. These days, any local journey under say 15 miles, i'd probably always take a bicycle.

I play on my 2T trail bike a couple of times a month, but weeks, sometimes months can go by before I ride anywhere on the Suzuki.

So, I am a little bored of road bikes I guess.

Took the dirt bike out for a spin the other day, to make sure it was fueled up for Friday's trail ride.

It does put a smile on my face, chugging 2T smoke everywhere, no mirrors or indicators, barely legal knobblys, headlamp weaker than a box of matches, trying to ride in rush hour traffic. Would be a total pain in the arse to ride it every day mind.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've felt like that for the past year, but I do ride to work and back every day, rain or shine. That's only 10 miles though. I make excuses to take the bike if I can, but they are always short journeys ~10 miles.

There's nothing wrong with the bike, and it's easy to get out of the garage. I think I've just become bored of riding the same old routes and getting stuck behind the same old people on roads where it's dangerous to overtake.

I put it down to the fact that I'm much happier in life in general, so maybe don't need my bike to make me happy anymore?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned, I'm not a fan of the faffing.
The gear is a necessary operation I've always accepted but getting the bike in and out has always been a PITA.
I'm not bored with the act of riding but I do tend to ride the same routes which isn't entirely a bad thing but it's always nicer when I'm joined by my old mate.
He tends to be able to sniff out some of the more interesting and creative roads.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get my gear on whilst drinking a mug of tea in the morning = no additional time to put on gear.

I take it off and put it back on in works time.

It takes me more time to open the gate,garage and then park the bike than it takes to take the gear off in the evening.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:41 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the odometer on my FZ6 S2, it'll tell you that...no... I never get bored. Not even in the cold winter months Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I can really see of anyone getting bored of riding bikes is if it's just simply commuting, and that you live in a traffic free world with access to a nice quiet refined car that gets you to work as quick as the bike in much more comfort.

Or say if you own a Chav magnet bike like an Orange supermoto that's loud, attention grabbing and easy to steal. Now if said bike is locked in the house or a bike shed in your back garden with 3chains, locks, Alarms and loads of locks on your doors/gates etc. Say it takes 10minutes or more to get the bike out and secure everything after, then it could get tiring if you were a daily rider.

Now add to that if the bike was a race tuned two stroke or a competition four stroke that was a fussy starter and needed lots of careful warming up before riding or normally, well that could be enough for someone to say fuck this, where are the Audi keys? Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I get bored of motorcycling?

Not in the 43 years that I have been riding.Much prefer to be on the bike than in the car Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

A friend recently hit the nail on the head.He said that when everything else is said and done,he most looks forward to riding out somewhere,just to get away from the normal hubbub of life.

Always have a 'Plan B'

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bike is my only means of transport, i've thought a lot about getting an older car or like a sedan cruiser but when i tally up all the costs of licence, the car itself, insurance etc id rather buy a bunch of parts or another project bike or hell another bike or two! its SHIT riding in the rain at this time of year, cold doesnt really bother me i just wear more layers and i never wear gear so thats not an issue putting it on and off. its mainly just the rain and having to sit in wet pants and socks all day really sucks.

in a world where money wasnt an obstacle yeh i wouldnt ride in the rain and snow, but id have 10 bikes, projects and so on and i would live somewhere it doesnt rain so riding is nicer all through the year. so its kinda redundant

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't really bored of it, I just changed jobs and never got a chance to get the bike out.

Now I am done with that job, I am champing at the bit to get back on the bike/s even as a daily commute across London - despite the weather Laughing

Much happier on the bike, even in London traffic.
(I say that now ... ask me again in 6 months time, LOL)

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.

There have been times where I've not rode for days and been like "Just can't be arsed with riding" but that's purely been down to my mindset outside of motorcycling, I.e. struggling with something at that time or generally in a foul mood/state of mind/wound up over something else.

I got massively demotivated and considered giving it up when my bike was almost stolen and I had no money to repair it. Also maintenance at the time was slacking and my helmet got damaged. Big demotivation and was considering throwing the towel in until I settled other areas I needed to focus on.

When I'm in a good mood though and life is "normal", I've never doubted whether I'm bored of bikes. Absolutely love them.

Riding in the cold is a challenge and sometimes I can't be fucked, and I do HATE riding in the wet now because I'm not very well equipped for it (hopefully get some better gear soon), but when it's mild I'm fully game.

I also get big withdrawal over time and feel generally much less happy if I don't ride for a while.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get a bit fed up with it when the rain doesn't stop for days but definitely not bored. Despite moaning about it and the constant maintenance bikes seem to require my 30 mile a day commute is consistently my favourite part of the working week.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get bored of motorcycling?

Nope, even after 25+ years despatching...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4