Eyesight.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Eyesight. Reply with quote

Sorry I never saw you.

Half of all optometrists have seen a patient in the last month who continued to drive despite being told their vision was below the legal standard, potentially contributing to the 3,000 accidents on UK roads caused by bad eyesight every year, according to a new survey.

Their out to get us!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear my mum is on the verge of becoming one of these. Scares the life out of me being in a car with her at night. Not sure how to broach this one, particularly as my folks have just spent a fortune doing up a quaint little cottage in a two pubs and a post office village with no bus service...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I fear my mum is on the verge of becoming one of these. Scares the life out of me being in a car with her at night. Not sure how to broach this one, particularly as my folks have just spent a fortune doing up a quaint little cottage in a two pubs and a post office village with no bus service...

Oh god, my idea of heaven!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the people these optometrists are talking about are friend with the folk who drive cars in cold weather that have all the windows still misted up? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I wonder if the people these optometrists are talking about are friend with the folk who drive cars in cold weather that have all the windows still misted up? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Aircon is an almost instant fix for this.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:11 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Eyesight. Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Their

Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:17 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Eyesight. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
Their

Rolling Eyes

I treat his spelling and grammar the same way I treat his advice on vehicle maintenance...

By ringing the health and safety exec in the hopes that they react and prevent the inevitable carnage...

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:01 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

Tell her she's going for an eye test, and why she's going for it.

I'm a massive fan of compulsory medicals, certainly before the current 70yo one. In fact I'm a fan of medicals at issue of provisional, and periodically thereafter. I know people who've found out they're diabetic and all sorts through applying for having/PSV and may have gone on unwittingly otherwise. My own personal tale is that as a 17yo I read a number plate at 21 metres or whatever it is, drove for 12 years, applied for a bus license, found I needed glasses for all categories despite my prescription not changing since I was a teenager.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well jump in because it's relevant..

I've literally last week helped a relative get through the PROPER medical testing process. This means fully working with DVLA, the NHS and this company which does the FULL testing.

https://www.ntw.nhs.uk/services/north-east-drive-mobility-independent-assessment-advice-service-walkergate-park/

Basically a relative had a minor stroke. DVLA got wind and called a stop to my relatives driving. The stroke was minimal - you didn't know it was there. My relative had asked DVLA if it was safe to drive now and shit hit the fan..

So what happened?
Relative had driving licence suspended. DVLA fucked about with 6 weeks between letters and my relative suffered for months without transport. (part of why DVLA pisses me off - 6 weeks between letters is wrong)
To be assessed my relative had to use this company and the company actually had to gain permission from DVLA to take my relative onto public roads (to continue the assessment) once they were happy enough on the offroad test track at the hospital.

I was there on the day of the test. It began at 9 am. The first TWO HOURS were spent doing strange tests which included memory, co-ordination, strength, eyesight etc etc. At those initial tests you had a doctor, the driving assessor and psychiatrists. They watched every move, every twitch as the tests progressed.
Then a 15 minute break and to the car. I wasn't able to fit in because you had the same team assessing my relative in the car as they drove!! The route was 17 miles in total and through the most difficult of roads and junctions around Newcastle.
All of this because they tried to do the right thing...

BTW they passed easily but what it did tell me was that I know of so many 'able' drivers out there who would fail miserably.
I'm actually in favour of similar testing for drivers who are either older or have shown some bad judgement on the roads when driving. The 'I didn't see you' excuse should be followed up firmly with a definite threat of full testing and possible licence removal. Systems are far too lenient IMHO.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:16 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
a definite threat

The medical rules should never be a threat.

Speedy23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Eyesight. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
Their

Rolling Eyes
?????
What's the problem?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:47 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Eyesight. Reply with quote

What's the problem?

They're out to get you.

jaffa90 wrote:
Their out to get us!

Last edited by Ste on 10:14 - 04 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Fourte wrote:
a definite threat

The medical rules should never be a threat.

Why not?
A threat to owning a licence should be quite clear. It's serious shit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describing it as a threat is just going to push people away, following the medical rules is a responsibility and if they're perceived as a threat then people are less likely to engage with appropriate medical professionals.

Just look at the example of your relative, for some reason they were allowed to get to the point of their license being revoked and that could have been avoided if they'd done the right thing and voluntarily surrendered their driving license. If nothing else, getting your license back after voluntarily surrendering it is much more straight forward than getting it back after it's been revoked on medical grounds.

On one hand you're saying systems are too lenient and there should be similar testing for drivers who are either older or have shown some bad judgement on the roads when driving and at the same time, you're complaining about inconvenient it is and how long it all takes.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have leant my car to my mum over the weekend. Her mondeo curently has an electrical fault. I'll find out on wednesday whether this electrical fault is bent bodywork at which point i'll be driving her straight to specsavers. Certainly I'm goint to 'forget' to put her on my insurance next year. (no, i'm not fronting, policy is in my name and i'm the main driver, it cost nothing to add her when i got the car and it solved a logistical headache)

Are there further vision requirements beyond reading a numberplate at howeverfar away? 70 retest is not far off. I think she'll pass a simple numberplate test but not in low-light conditions.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:43 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no retest at 70.

DVLA rules say something about field of vision, the best bet is to talk to the optician and see what they say.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several vision tests for my relative. Some were indoors tests which were pretty basic - literally the outline (and shaded in) of three animals - a lion, a camel and a giraffe. Guess the animal basically. They were paper tests which not only judged the ability to see shape but also to define it and then know what the animal was. Like a mix of everything test.
The actual sight test proper was reading a car number plate at 20 metres. Relative was tested at 27 metres but 20 is the official distance.

Nah my complaint is with DVLA taking ages just to respond to letters. 6 weeks is far too long and this has literally dragged on for 4 months until the testing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm someone with terrible night vision. I mean really bad. If a vehicle with xenons comes towards me I can be all but blind
for 10 seconds and have to drive/ride from memory really until I can see again. Short of buying a -
https://nightvisionops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NO_NG_321-Helmet-Small-259x320.jpg
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do other than avoid driving/riding in the dark which of course is very difficult especially this
time of year. It's also why I spec xenons when I buy a car and am HID-ing the Spacker during its winter layup. Until I can afford
a posh merc with on board night vision camera I'll tackle this the way I always have. Moar lights looking out and shutting one eye
when there's oncoming brightness.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm someone with terrible night vision. I mean really bad. If a vehicle with xenons comes towards me I can be all but blind
for 10 seconds
and have to drive/ride from memory really until I can see again. Short of buying a -
https://nightvisionops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NO_NG_321-Helmet-Small-259x320.jpg
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do other than avoid driving/riding in the dark which of course is very difficult especially this
time of year. It's also why I spec xenons when I buy a car and am HID-ing the Spacker during its winter layup. Until I can afford
a posh merc with on board night vision camera I'll tackle this the way I always have. Moar lights looking out and shutting one eye

Confused I'm the same although I've noticed it's been getting worse with more Xenon headlights etc. about. Also in a built up area dipped beams don't really do much when people are going over roadhumps.

I'm not sure what it is, I think it's light sensitivity or something, as I get a bit autistic with bright sunlight reflecting off white surfaces as well. I think you can get an anti-glare coating on your windshield but I'm not sure how effective it is.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
for 10 seconds and have to drive/ride from memory really until I can see again. Short of buying a -
I'm exactly the same. I just use the Force! I also occasionally close one eye till the glare is past.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know me speccing xenons seems to be adding to the problem. But when I'm the right side of them I think they
are (excuse the pun) brilliant. More bikes should have xenons IMO. Factory fit xenons have to be self levelling by law
and should react to for instance a heavy load in the back or sudden rapid acceleration. Our next car will have them again, that's
for sure. When driving, I do find wearing yellow lensed glasses helps a bit with the glare.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One working light at the front or left hand drive pattern / misaligned projectors pick one.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

reminds me I need to get any eye test, supposed to have a field vision test every 3 months, haven't had one for six. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
reminds me I need to get any eye test, supposed to have a field vision test every 3 months, haven't had one for six. Embarassed

Is that cos of family history?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One particular night driving thing that pisses me is say I give way at night and allow an oncoming vehicle through and they flash their lights to high beam as a thank you. That temporary blindness - twats!
People should flick lights quickly to side lights and back to low beam and not melt kind motorists retinas..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2