Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

automatic tyre pumps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:32 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: automatic tyre pumps Reply with quote

hi all

anyone had success with those automatic tyre inflators? want to get one to keep in the garage but wondering if i will end up using it once then it breaks

budget upto £100

cheers
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: automatic tyre pumps Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
hi all

anyone had success with those automatic tyre inflators? want to get one to keep in the garage but wondering if i will end up using it once then it breaks

budget upto £100

cheers

Why not just use a bicycle pump, or car footpump?OTOH you could get a 25 litre compressor for that money, which would be much more useful.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:24 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a compressor, and the tyre inflator for that cost a tenner. The compressor is far more versatile than a dedicated tyre gadget. The original compressor cost something like £120 from Lidl, but it got nicked so it was replaced with an expensive 2.5hp SIP by the insurance company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:45 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: automatic tyre pumps Reply with quote

Do you want it to run from 12v or mains?

If you've got the space, your budget will get you a small workshop compressor.

It won't be automatic, but will be pretty quick if the air tank is full.

And can be useful for running air tools - though these days they can make less sense with some of the very good battery tools available.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: automatic tyre pumps Reply with quote

G wrote:
Do you want it to run from 12v or mains?

If you've got the space, your budget will get you a small workshop compressor.

It won't be automatic, but will be pretty quick if the air tank is full.

And can be useful for running air tools - though these days they can make less sense with some of the very good battery tools available.

Thats what I have found. I have a compressor and a good selection of air tools but I've slowly been collecting battery tools that run off the same battery. It's so much more convenient.

The compressor is relegated to tyre pressures and blow cleaning mainly.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: automatic tyre pumps Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The compressor is relegated to tyre pressures and blow cleaning mainly.

On that - you can of course get 18v tyre inflators. Not sure if any have automatic cut off as some of the 12v ones do (which I do like).

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

thanks all.
that one from amazon looks quite decent, no mains power available in or near garage so will be running from my car 12V cigarette lighter.

could go down the compressor and adapter route which might be useful for other things

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the next car battery you replace, charge it and stick it to one side. You can get cig sockets that run to a couple of crocodile clips for a few quid. Means you can run inflators intended for car use off of a battery.

It's what I do with my car tyre inflator when the bike tires need checking/topping up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Michelin pumps for years.
This is the model I have now.
This and an old battery is all I use for car and bikes.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/michelin-high-power-tyre-inflator

Set your pressure and it stops about 1psi higher. I think that's allows a bit of loss as you fiddle to get the fecking hose off the tyre valve.
Don't leave a tyre to inflate. They assploade with impressive results. 🤣

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a £10 halfords double barrel foot pump!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
i use a £10 halfords double barrel foot pump!

10 pumps for one psi Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:11 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of the Ring digital ones.
It's okay, but not amazingly durable - mine not the only one that didn't last as long as it could have.

Now got a T-Max Heavy duty.

These don't have an automatic cut off (though I may make one at some point), but are very quick - they are about 3/4hp, so need to be connected directly to a 12v battery and aren't small, but there's no waiting around for it to pump up a bike tyre.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little 12V pumps tend to be a bit pathetically slow and very noisy.
But worth having in a car or under your bike seat.
If you have mains power on hand there are better solutions, or a larger hand/foot pump as above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Michelin one listed above. Worked flawlessly for me for over 5 years. Including pumping up completely flat tyres without issue.

Think I paid around £30 at Halfords, after a cheap pump popped on me. Frustration and a need for one the same day sent me to Halfords Laughing

I had a lexus is200 with horrendously corroded wheels, they couldn't keep pressure for more than 2 to 3 days at a time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I have the Michelin one listed above. Worked flawlessly for me for over 5 years. Including pumping up completely flat tyres without issue.

Think I paid around £30 at Halfords, after a cheap pump popped on me. Frustration and a need for one the same day sent me to Halfords Laughing

I had a lexus is200 with horrendously corroded wheels, they couldn't keep pressure for more than 2 to 3 days at a time.

The reviews seem a bit naff? Who do I trust Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of actual air tools - remember they can be used in the rain, unlike electric tools.

For my bike I carry around a cheapo 12V compressor I got from B and M.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/rac-mini-250psi-air-compressor-323998

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one when I got a screw in my van tyre.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-metal-digital-air-compressor-with-light-12v/4310h

Used it to pump up my van tyre a couple of times then gave it to my daughter to put in the boot of her car. Comes in a tidy little storage pouch. It pumped my van tyre up to 60psi without getting too hot. The screw-on valve fitting worked well and didn't lose much air.

Would buy again.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring branded ones are good, 12 quid in wilko for a cheaper model but the pump is likely identical inside. They will easily seat the bead of a well fitting pr4 tubeless and with the casing removed will fit under seat of a cbr6.

Have a 25l compressor, it is heavy and needs to be moved when I use it, much prefer the 12v.

Cheap chinese ones - which you can get in most petrol stations, are rubbish, under powered and leaky, and the hoses rot.

If you need portable power get the cheap one and spend the difference on a 5series 5Ah lipo pack/charger.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:52 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
On the subject of actual air tools - remember they can be used in the rain, unlike electric tools.

Not waterproof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrERT1qv1Q

Smile

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:

That type are rubbish ( had several, cheapest was £2.50) and are likely to fail (hose, or leaky pump) first use or soon after They do not compare to the more expensive £12 ring ones.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
Save the next car battery you replace, charge it and stick it to one side. You can get cig sockets that run to a couple of crocodile clips for a few quid. Means you can run inflators intended for car use off of a battery.

It's what I do with my car tyre inflator when the bike tires need checking/topping up.

Hi,
Thats exactly what i have.
Old battery out of golf & cheap wee tyre inflator with cigarette lighter plug on the end.
Battery has poundland socket with crocodile clips.
Works a treat.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mains compressor, 20m rubber hose etc for fitting tyres etc, but for the times that I don't need to do the pressures on 14 different tyres, I use a ring 12v cigarette lighter one.

I over inflate the tyres, then drop them down using a venhill tyre pressure gauge.

This is the ring compressor I have:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5325577?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:189934405|agid:18074225845|tid:pla-199030491685|crid:77627770765|nw:g|rnd:14917784452616786630|dvc:c|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9046955&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKSDh_TH3gIVUvlRCh1VKwskEAQYBCABEgKhjPD_BwE

I'd suggest that, and a dedicated tyre pressure gauge.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:43 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The digital gauge/cut off in my Ring was quite accurate when compared to a decent pressure meter.

(Though, not bad to have a decent pressure gauge - though only for trackdays I'm particularly bothered.)

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
This one gets good reviews.

I have ordered it for my new beast will be used for the bike also.

Ring is piece of shit actually. Hope you are lucky.

M.C wrote:
bacon wrote:

The reviews seem a bit naff? Who do I trust Smile

I have dropped off and broken my Michelin tyre inflator and bought this one based on the reviews.

Big mistake - needed to cut of the original chuck and replace it with one from ebay.

Wish I bought again my old Michelin:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/michelin-high-power-tyre-inflator
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1