39%  [ 11 ]
Buy S1000RR
60%
 60%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 28

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:33 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Keep my R6 or upgrade to an S1000RR? Reply with quote

tl;dr S1000RR is a million times better than R6 in every way (except looks imo) and I can now afford one, but I REALLY love my R6, what do?

I have no idea what to do and I need some advice.

I love my R6 to death, and I'm not bored of it yet, but since hitting 4 years no-claims last month the S1000RR has just become easily affordable to me and I have always loved the idea of some day owning one. I love trackdays when I can do them, and I love fast riding in twisties.

Major factor that's playing in my head for switching up in the first place is that the snapped steering lock on R6 has pissed me off massively and I haven't repaired it since it happened a year ago. Since that day I've not been as excited about my R6 and it put a downer on everything. I am aware that it is irrational, but it's been fucking with my head constantly.

There is frame damage to the lock-hole too, which further complicates any idea of a repair and defeats the purpose of even getting it fixed at all because of the money involved. As a result of the frame damage, Yamaha can't even guarantee that replacing the locking mechanism itself would get the lock to work correctly, and I'm not prepared to spend over a grand on a 50/50 outcome. (Side note, isn't frame damage an instant write-off?). I'm not buying a new fucking frame even though I've been irrationally tempted to piss money away like this.

The bike is massively devalued by the snapped lock anyway, and it's going to depreciate even further in future anyway. I've put around 22k miles on the bike since I bought it new 2 years ago.

I'm really sick of the steering lock being broken and not being able to access my parking lights/having a stiff/weird feeling ignition barrel that feels like it could seize up at any moment.

I have a very strong attachment to my R6 that I haven't had with any other bike and it's almost weird. The thought of getting rid of it to upgrade to the S1000RR actually upsets me, even though I do kind of want an S1000RR.

In a way it feels like the excitement of an S1000RR would quickly help me get over the R6, but I'm unsure. I know I don't need an S1000RR, but I don't need an R6 either. Nobody buys these things for "need". If I lived by need and not want, I'd own a scooter.

I know I cannot keep two bikes, so if I did get an S1000RR I would have to sell my R6. I couldn't keep it as a track-only bike (although that would 100% be the way forward if I could).

To put it into perspective, I'm SO attached to my R6 that the thought of not riding it anymore upsets me more than breaking up with my ex GF did. Laughing Laughing

I don't know what to do. I've put in a request to test ride the S1000RR and I'm hoping that will clear up my perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even let me on for a test ride because I'm 24.

Not interested in any other options, it's between the S1000RR and the R6.

I love 600s in general too and haven't really rode a 1000 except for a quick go on a mate's K5 GSXR 1k.

Additional information is that some friends and I are planning to ride to Spain next summer, and also planning on a huge number of trackdays in spring/summer. The R6 is capable of both, but starting to think of what it'd be like on an S1000RR.

Any input appreciated. Especially if you've rode both 600 and 1000 super.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your insurance quote. That may well make the decision for you! Even with 4 yrs ncb it may be a stinger!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New R6?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 12:12 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Check your insurance quote. That may well make the decision for you! Even with 4 yrs ncb it may be a stinger!

I've checked with insurance already. The only reason that this idea has gone from me jokingly saying I'd have an S1000RR over the R6 to an actual battle in my head over what I want is because insurance confirmed it'd only be £100 more per year which is completely affordable. Neutral So now it's become a real idea that I can't decide over.

The only deterrant from ever considering an S1000RR was the fact no insurance company would quote me, and the ones that did quote me were asking for £9699.99 per year (I.e. telling me to completely fuck off). Laughing

Fourte wrote:
New R6?

I passionately hate how the new R6 looks. I can't ride something I hate the look of and enjoy it.

That coupled with the price of a new R6 vs a couple years old S1000RR essentially both costing around 10-12k, you get infinitely more out of the S1000RR for your money.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:32 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Keep my R6 or upgrade to an S1000RR? Reply with quote

The RR has more peak power and a really wide range of power. But a bit more weight.
Whether more is better is another matter - the R6 already has too much for the 'peak fun' zone for me on the road.
Also, all the electronics.
So great if you want to go fast with the minimum involvement in doing so.
But that doesn't always mean better...

Meef wrote:
a huge number of trackdays in spring/summer. The R6 is capable of both, but starting to think of what it'd be like on an S1000RR.

And the same for trackdays.
I do fancy a TC 'safety net', but you'll likely want to disable the ABS I believe. And for me, I progressed quicker on slower bikes - where you really have to ring every last drip of power out of it. Also, may offer a bit more confidence to get on the power really early.

With there being more litre bikes on track these days, I have fancied one to be playing on more equal terms - though it's always fun managing to get past and stay past a new litre bike on a ten year old supersport. However, that typically means the people who you are chasing aren't quite as good riders as the similar level riders are going to be a bit faster on faster tracks.
However, in reality for me - I'd probably be much better doing a bit of club racing if I was going to (where there's always someone to chase of a similar speed to you), rather than swapping bikes to have a few more in the right skill range to play with.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume buying the BM is dependent on selling the R6? But what will you get for an R6 with frame damage?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering going back the other way having spent the last 5-7 years on Litre sports bikes. 954, 2005 R1, and a 2014 GSXR1000. They're very quick when you want to make progress and making going very fast very easy. Personally the S1000RR isn't for me as there's a lot of rider aids which are great, but do detract from the experience somewhat.

Am I glad I rode litre sports bike when I could? Yes absolutely. I'd say try and get a proper test ride on one if you can and if you want to go for it then do it or you'll forever be wondering what if.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I presume buying the BM is dependent on selling the R6? But what will you get for an R6 with frame damage?

Thumbs Up
Have both. I felt the same attachment to my ZX6R but fancied an R1 (both quite old now) so when I realised it wouldn't get much for the high mileage 600 I just kept it, SORNed it and eventually did it up and put it back on the road. Comparing the two on a weekly basis is interesting, they have pros and cons relative to each other (although some of the 600's pros are around size and relative comfort, before 600s became tiny.)

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how you feel lol!

i have an R1 and a 125cc and i have the most fun on the 125cc (two tours on the 125cc from London to Scotland confirmed this for me lol)

if it wernt for having a blast on sundays with the lads i would just have the 125cc

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy S1kRR.

I'll give you tree fiddy for the R6.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Thumbs Up
Have both.

Well, this is what I'm wondering. An R6 that won't fetch much if you sell it? Keep it as your track bike and buy the BM for the road. But of course I don't know that the OP can stretch to that money-wise.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people have lots of opinions as expected. But I do get OP's predicament to a degree and have been there with cars and bikes. When want not need is the only driving factor other than cost, and your looking at two specific vehicles of lust (not the G logical opinion of getting the most bike for X cash irrespective of desire and how hard it makes your dick).

I've been able to reign in my vehicle desires twice when I've had something fairly nice to start with. I've regretted it twice but not being a home owner at the time I was just about able to say do the sensible thing (bricks&mortar).

I was once very close to changing from a 2001 600 to a 2003 CBR954, but even after test riding I knew I didn't need the bigger bike and couldn't ride it any better. There was a couple of litre bikes a year or two later that I really did like and could have justified but they were half faired V-twins. So my thoughts and opinions don't count and are massively irrelevant.

Would I get rid of my 125 for a litre bike? Or if I had to choose between a nice 125 and a nice litre bike would I get the biggun as an only bike?

No fucking way on this earth!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd said 250 I could get that - but 125? They're barely enough in a city, never mind once outside the urban bits.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what your saying totally mate! But then it depends on if you really ride your bikes, or want to go places and get around. You'd want to feel safe in the city, or on A-roads or motorways etc etc!

But if a 250cc is less of a hazard or chore to ride, then a 300cc would be a bit better with a touch of reserve margin, and a 400-500cc would be very useful and a nicer more relaxing ride.
Then a 600 would have a nice bit of effortlessly extra performance you don't really need but it's nice to have a bit more than you need. But a 1000 might be better as it'd save a few gear changes and allow you to be really lazy and make 3figure progress like your barely having to do a thing etc.

If like me you want to piss about on tight and twisty back lanes all single track, or on narrow coast roads or just buzz around the suburbs or nowhere very populated on small slow roads, a 125 or just a small bike can be fun and ideal. Its more about the weight <100kg and something ultra nimble and that you can thrash hard without going too quick or needing to scrub off lots of speed for each bend etc.

Only my opinion, but a 50bhp+ 450cc would be too much sometimes as would some 250cc bikes.

If I did distance commuting then a nice smooth VFR like Marjay's would be bob on, and for regular track days a nice 90's 600 would be cracking. To ride to Europe twice a year for two weeks with passenger and luggage then I'd be stoked with a GTR1400 or FJR1300 etc.

I get why anyone would want a BMW S1000RR it'd be great, but as an only bike it wouldn't do it for me, and it's effortlessly scary quick, when something more thrashable to go half as fast would excite much more well to me anyway.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

im considering taking my 125cc all around europe next year and leaving the R1 sleeping at home in the garage lol!

dunno as ive got older my wants have have changed, dont even buy name brand clothes anymore as i dont see the point in them.

its all about your own perspective on things relative to where you are in life

all depends on what you really want/need Meef?

i personally think you should have a long test ride on the BMW

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7MdKQe_7C8

> 200bhp
< 200kgs

Shocked

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Keep my R6 or upgrade to an S1000RR? Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I'm really sick of the steering lock being broken and not being able to access my parking lights/having a stiff/

Is the bike really that exciting? Wow. Surprised

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so I just got a quote from Yamaha for fixing up my steering lock and they've essentially said "No point, your frame's lock-hole is busted and it's not worth repairing". They were right, to repair locks alone is £1k, but to swap frames and repair locks it's £5k in total. FUCK that.

It's pretty much a done deal at this point. I don't want to keep modding/riding a snapped up bike and it's not worth repairing shit all on it. It may as well go to someone else as a track bike, because I can't keep a track bike and a road bike as much as I'd love to convert it and keep it.

If I'm going to pour 5K into something, it's going to be an S1KRR, not a fucking steering lock. I'll probably miss my R6 for a bit until I end up in slick mode on the S1KRR tbh.

I'm feeling a lot more clear about this choice now, and need to work out what my bike is worth and figure out the money side of it all.

Any ideas what my bike's worth?

List of mods:
1 Fully snapped steering lock and fucked up frame hole.
Full akra system
ASV shorty levers
Blue HEL steel braided brake lines
Techspec tank grips
Blue Puig double bubble screen
Matching footpeg blanking plates+spare unpainted
OEM rear seat cowl (Fucking impossible to find anywhere)
Full r&g aero crash protection including rear swingarm, front axle and frame sliders and full engine casings on left and right side
r&g radiator guard
r&g tail tidy
r&g mirror blanking plates
r&g bar ends
supersprox rear sprocket
HyperPro RSC steering damper.

Also have some other goodies not yet fitted to the bike, a healtech gipro gear indicator, and motodynamic flush mount front indicators & integrated rear tail light.

Spare goodies: Got stock exhaust, stock levers, and a spare set of fully intact but scratched left side OEM fairings from when they were replaced by Yamaha with more OEM ones a year ago after I dropped it on it's side being pulled over Laughing

I doubt BMW will accept a part exchange on a bike with a snapped steering lock, right? I've asked them anyway.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it needs re-framing it's probably not worth a lot, unfortunately.

The extras won't add value, either. Generally a standard bike is worth more.

I'm after a track bike so could be interested though. PM me pics and a ballpark figure.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Garth. Its pretty much placed itself into track day only territory, as most people won't want it as a road bike now irrespective of how good value or priced it is.

It will make a very capable and serious track day bike for someone who wants something pretty serious as a track bike though. I'd look to see what other similar age 600's are fetching as track bikes as whoever buys it can make a few quid back on it by selling all the road parts and fairings, or goodies which would make them enough to convert it to track spec and have a few quid left over from selling parts.

I know what you mean about the new bike, sometimes you don't want or need a new bike as your happy with the one you've got, but to make it worth the expense it has to be the bike you want specific make/model etc.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Right so I just got a quote from Yamaha

How about getting a quote from a local welder or similar to get the nastier bits patched up; new parts from Yamaha at RRP is never going to be an economic way to go forward.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the steering lock that was bad enough to scrap the frame? Pass the popcorn

But yeah I wouldn't have an aluminium framed bike with frame damage as a road bike, it would trigger fuck out of me.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this. I went for the S1000RR.

I've privately sold the R6 to someone for a decent price (within a day LOL) and so I'll be going to pick up the S1000RR on Saturday.

Cheers for the input though guys, really appreciate all the advice that was in this thread.

Ultimately when I had the R6 and the S1000RR side-by-side I just couldn't resist at all.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

I've privately sold the R6 to someone for a decent price (within a day LOL) and so I'll be going to pick up the S1000RR on Saturday.

Cheers for the input though guys, really appreciate all the advice that was in this thread.

Ultimately when I had the R6 and the S1000RR side-by-side I just couldn't resist at all.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Enjoy the S1000 Smile

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:04 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

Good choice- I am so sick of hearing about so and so’s R6 or R1 that they used to own when they once rode many moons ago or that they do ride now or the one that belongs to their gran’s best friend’s nephew’s dog who rides one.
The BMW is my dream bike Wub
How old are you can I ask?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2